THE WALTER AND ELIZA HALL INSTITUTE OF MEDICAL RESEARCH
E. BIOCHEMISTRY AND BIOPHYSICS UNIT 1. Differentiation of T and B lymphocytes
2. Gene Expression in Mouse Myeloma Cells.
3. Physical Studies on gene organization.
PUBLISHED WORK CHAPTERS OF BOOKS
1. ADAMS, J. M . — Immunoglobulin messager RNA. Progress in Immunology I I I , Canberra, Australian Academy of Science, 1977. pp. 236-242.
2. GODING, J. W. — Genetic factors in the immune response: the immune response genes. 77ie lymphocyte:
structure and function, ed. by J. J. Marchalonis. New York, Marcel Dekker, 1977. pp. 309-364.
3. KINCADE, P. W. and MOORE, M . A. S. - Ontogenetic emergence of immunocytes. 77ie lymphocyte:
structure and function, ed. J.J. Marchalonis. Part 1. New York, Marcel Dekker, 1977. pp. 115-148.
4. MACKAY, I . R. — HLA and liver disease. "HLA and disease", ed. by J. Dausset and A. Svejgaard.
Copenhagen, Munksgaard, 1977. pp. 186-195.
5. MACKAY, I . R. — The lesion of autoimmunity-overview. Progress in Immunology I I I . Canberra, Australian Academy ofScience, 1977. pp. 485-496.
MEDICAL BIOLOGY 113 6. MACKAY, I . R. and CARNEGIE, P. R. - Cell surface receptors and autoimmune responses.
Autoimmunity: genetic, immunologic, virologic and clinical aspects, ed. by N . Talal. New York, Academic Press, 1977. pp. 597-620.
7. MACKAY, I . R., W H I T T I N G H A M , S. and MATHEWS, J. D. - The immunocpidemiology of ageing.
Immunology and ageing, ed. by Takashi Makindan and Edmond Yunis. New York, Plenum Medical Book Co., 1977. pp. 35-49.
8. MANDEL, T. E. — The ultrastructure of mannalian lymphocytes and their progeny. The lymphocyte:
structure and function, ed. by J. J. Marchalonis. New York, Marcel Dekker, 1977. pp. 11-42.
9. MANDEL, T. E. and SANTER, V. B. - Ultrastructure of the lymphocyte surface. 77tf lymphocyte:
structure and function, ed. by J. J. Marchalonis. New York, Marcel Dekker, 1977. pp. 511-540.
10. MARCHALONIS, J. J. — The lymphocyte plasma membrane: isolation and properties of biologically relevant proteins. 77ie lymphocyte: structure and function, ed. by J. J. Marchalonis. New York, Marcel Dekker, 1977. pp. 373-432.
11. MILLER, J. F. A. P. — Cell interactions in the regulation of the immune response. Progress in Immunology I I I . Canberra, Australian Academy ofScience, 1977. pp. 353-357.
12. MILLER, J. F. A. P. — Lymphocytes: past, present and future: The lymphocyte: structure and function, ed.
by J. J. Marchalonis. New York, Marcel Dekker, 1977. pp. 1-7.
13. MILLER, J. F. A. P. - The major histocompatibility complex and the immune response. Progress in Immunology I I I . Canberra, Australian Academy of Science, 1977. pp. 309-310.
14. MITCHELL, G. F. - Host protective immunity in parasitic diseases. Progress in Immunology I I I . Canberra, Australian Academy of Science, 1977. pp. 675-680.
15. MITCHELL, G. F. - Observations and speculations on the influence of T cells in the cellular events of induction of antibody formation and tolerance in vivo. The lymphocyte: structure and function, ed. by J. J. Marchalonis. New York, Marcel Dekker, 1977. pp. 227-256.
16. NOSSAL, G. J. V. - B. lymphocyte receptors and lympocyle activation. International Cell Biology, 1976- 1977. cd. by B. R. Brinkely, K. R. Porter. New York. Rockefeller University Press, 1977. pp. 103-111.
17. NOSSAL, G. J. V. — Immunology and epidemiology of communicable tropical diseases. Progress in Immunology 111. Canberra, Australian Academy ofScience, 1977. pp. 665-666.
18. NOSSAL, G. J. V. - Immunology, health and ethics. Progress in Immunology I I I . Canberra, Australian Academy of Science, 1977. pp. 724-727.
19. SHORTMAN, K. - The pathway of T-cell development within the thymus. Progress in Immunology 111.
Canberra, Australian Academy ofScience. 1977. pp. 197-205.
20. WARNER, N . L. and McKENZIE, I . F. C. - Surface antigens and receptors of normal and neoplastic lymphocytes: nature and distribution. The lymphocyte: structure and function, ed. bv J. J. Marchalonis. New York, Marcel Dekker. 1977. pp. 433-492.
21. ATWELL, J. L. and MARCHALONIS, J. J. - Immunoglobulin gamma chains of a montreme mammal, the Echidna (Tachyglossus aculeatus): amino acid composition and partial amino acid sequence. J.
Immunogenet. 4: 73-80 (1977).
22. BERNARD, C. C. A. - Suppressor T-cells prevent experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis in mice.
Clin. Exp. Immunol. 29: 100-109 (1977).
23. BERNARD, C. C. A., LEYDON, J. and MACKAY, I . R. - A n t i T cell activity of niridazole in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. Int. Arch. Allergy 53: 555-559 (1977).
24. BERNARD, C. C. A., ROBERTS, I . M . and MACKAY, I . R. - Experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis in mice: antigen binding lymphocytes to basic protein of myelin in susceptible and resistant strains. J. Immunogenet. 4: 277-285 (1977).
25. BERNARD, C. C. A., SYMINGTON, G. R. and MACKAY, 1. R. - Binding properties of radiolabeled basic protein of myelin: reassessment in relation to diagnostic immunoassays. Scana. J. Immunol. 6: 1127- 1 137 (1977).
26. BERNARD, O..CORY, S. and ADAMS, J. M . - Synthesis of complementary RNA on RNA templates using the DNA-dependent RNA polymerase of escherichia coli. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 478:407-416 (1977).
27. BERNARD, O. D , JACKSON, J , CORY, S. and ADAMS, J. M . - Non-coding nucleotide sequence in the 3'-terminal region of a mouse immunoglobulin kappa chain mRNA determined by analysis of complementary DNA. Biochemistry 16: 4117-4125 (1977).
28. BRACKERTZ, D., MITCHELL, G. F. and MACKAY, I . R. - Studies on antigen-induced arthritis I . Induction of arthritis in various strains of mice. Arlhr. and Rheum. 20: 841-850 (1977).
29. BRACKERTZ, D., MITCHELL, G., VADAS, M. A., MACKAY, I . R. and MILLER, J. F. A. P. - Studies on antigen-induced arthritis: I I . Immunological correlates of arthritis susceptibility in mice. J.
Immunol. 118: 1639-1644 (1977).
30. BRACKERTZ, D., MITCHELL, G. F., VADAS, M . A. and MACKAY, I . R. - Studies on antigen- induced arthritis. I I I . Cell and serum transfer experiments. J. Immunol. 118: 1645-1648 (1977).
31. BURGESS, A. W. and METCALF. D. - The effect of colony stimulating factor on the synthesis of ribonucleic acid by mouse bone marrow cells in vitro. J. Cell Phvsiol. 90: 471-484 (1977).
32. BURGESS, A. W. and METCALF, D. - Serum half-life and organ distribution of radiolabeled colony stimulating factor in mice. Exp. Hematol. 5: 456-464 (1977).
33. BURGESS, A. W.. WILSON, E. C. and METCALF, D. - Stimulation by human placental conditioned medium of hemopoietic colony formation by human marrow cells. Blood 49: 573-583 (1977).
34. BURTON, R. C. and WARNER, N . Lr- ln vitro induction of tumor specific immunity IV. Specific adoptive immunotherapy with cytotoxic T cells induced in vitro to plasmacytoma antigens. Cancer, Immunology and Immunotherapy. 2: 91-99 (1977).
35. BURTON, R. C. and WARNER, N . L. — Tumor immunity to murine plasma cell tumors. I I I . Detection of common tumor associated antigens on BALB/c, C3H and NZB plasmacytomas by in vivo and in vitro
36. BURTON, R.C, CHISM, S. E. and WARNER, N . L. - In vitro induction of tumor specific immunity. I I I . Lack of requirement for H-2 compatibility to lysis of tumor targets by T cells activated in vitro to self, oncofetal and plasmacytoma. J. Immunol. 118: 971-980 (1977).
37. BURTON, R. C . CHISM. S. E. and WARNER, N . L. - In vitro induction of tumor specific immunity.
V I I . Does autosensitization occur with in vitro culture of T lymphocytes?/ Immunol. 119- 1329-1339(1977).
38. CAMAKARIS, J., BURGESS, A. W. and METCALF, D. - The purification and properties of colony stimulating factor from mouse lung conditioned medium. J. Biol. Chem. 252: 1998-2003 (1977).
39. CARNEGIE, P. R , FELLOWS, F. C.I. and SYMINGTON, G. R. - Urinary excretion of methylarginine in human disease. Metabolism 26: 531-537 (1977).
40. CHISM, S. E„ BURTON, R. C , GRAIL, D. L., BELL, P. M . and WARNER, N . L. - In vitro induction of tumor specific immunity. VI. Analysis of specificity of immune response by cellular competitive inhibition:
limitations and advantages ofthe technique. J. Immunol. Methods. 16: 245-262 (1977).
41. CHISM, S. E., WARNER, N. L., WELLS, J. V., CREWTHER, P., HUNT, S., MARCHALONIS. .1. I . and FUDENBERG, H. H. — Evidence for common and distinct determinants on colon CEA, CCA-III, and molecules wilh CEA activity isolated from breast and ovarian cancer. Cancer Res. 37: 3100-3108 (1977).
42. CLAESSON, M . H. and METCALF, D. - B.-lymphocyte colony-forming cells in theSJL/J mouse thymus.
J. Immunol. 118: 1208-1212 (1977).
43. CLAESSON, M . H., RODGER, M . B., JOHNSON, G. R., W H I T T I N G H A M , S. and METCALF, D. - Colony formation bv human T lymphocytes in agar-medium. Clin. Exp. Immunol. 28: 526-534 (1977).
44. CLAESSON, M . H. W H I T T I N G H A M , S., RODGER, M . B. and BURGESS, A. W. - Colony growth of human T lymphocytes in agar: effect of a soluble factor from adherent cells. Eur. J. Immunol. 7: 608-612 (1977).
45. CLARKE, A. E„ HARRISON, S„ RAFF, J., KNOX, R. B , SMITH, P. and MARCHALONIS, J. J. - Common antigens and male-female recognition in plants. Nature 265: 161-163 (1977).
46. COATES, A. S. and CRAWFORD, M . - Growth of human melanoma in nude mice; suppression by T- lymphocytes from the tumor donor. J. Nat. Cancer Inst. 59: 1325-1328 (1977).
47. COATES, A. S. and PETERS, M . - Complete remission of metastatic malignant melanoma following immunotherapy with Bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG). Aust. N.Z. J. Surgery 47: 362-365 (1977).
48. CORY, S. and ADAMS, J. M. - A very large repeating unit of mouse DNA containing the 18S, 28S and 5.8S rRNA genes. Cell. 11: 795-805 (1977).
49. COX, K. O., HOWARD, R. J. and MITCHELL, G. F. - Studies on immune responses to parasite antigens in mice. V I I . Cells secreting antibodies lo modified mouse erythrocytes in Babesia rodhaini infected mice.
Cell. Immunol. 32: 223-227 (1977).
50. DECKER, J. M . and MARCHALONIS, J. J. - Molecular events in lymphocyte differentiation: stimulation of nonhistone nuclear protein synthesis in rabbit peripheral blood lymphocytes by anti-immunoglobulin.
Biochem. Biophvs. Res. Commun. 74: 584-591 (1977).
51. DECKER, J. M , WARR, G. W. and MARCHALONIS, J. J. - A membrane glycoprotein which binds antilymphocyte globulin and Concanavalin A is implicated in stimulation of murine T lymphocytes. Biochem.
Biophys. Res. Commun. 74: 1536-1543 (1977).
52. DRESCH, C , JOHNSON, G. R. and METCALF, D. - Eosinophil colony formation in semi-solid cultures of human bone marrow cells. Blood 49: 835-844 (1977).
53. DUMBLE, L. J. and MACKAY. I . R. - HLA and chronic active hepatitis (CAH). Digestion 15: 254-259 (1977).
54. DUMBLE, L. J„ TAIT, B. D., W H I T T I N G H A M , S. and ASHTON, P. W. - The immunological privilege of the foetus; decreased expression of paternal HLA. Immunogenetics 5: 345-350 (1977).
55. FIDLER, J . M . and PIKE, B. L. - Antigen-initiated B lymphocyte differentiation X. Sedimentation velocity characterization of antigen-binding cells and AFC progenitors in the in vitro microculture immune response of unprimed CBA mice to NIP-POL antigen. Cell. Immunol. 31: 163-171 (1977).
56. FIDLER, J. M . , HOWARD, M . , SCHLEGEL, R. A„ VADAS, M . and SHORTMAN, K. - Antigen initiated B-cell differentiation. I X . Characterisation of memory AFC progenitors by buoyant density and sedimentation velocity separation. J. Immunol. 118: 1076-1082 (1977).
57. GODING, J. W„ SCOTT, D. W. and LAYTON, J. E. - Genetics, cellular expression and function of IgD and IgM receptors. Immunological Reviews 37: 152-186 (1977).
58. G U T M A N , G. A. and MITCHELL, G. F. - Ascaris suum: location of phosphorylcholine in lung larvae.
Exp. Parasit. 43: 161-168 (1977).
59. HOWARD, M . C. and FIDLER, J. M . - Antigen-initiated B lymphocyte differentiation. X I . Non-specific stimulation changes the physical properties of virgin AFC-progenitors in neonatal mouse spleen. Aust. J.
Exp. Biol. Med. Sci. 55: 510-507 (1977).
60. HOWARD, M . C , CLAESSON, M . H. and JOHNSON, G. R. - Surface immunoglobulin characteristics of B-lymphocyte developmental slates and B-lymphocyte colony-forming-cells. Scand. J. Immunol. 6: 1317-
61. JOHNSON, G. R. and METCALF, D. - Pure and mixed erythroid colony formation in vitro stimulated by spleen conditioned medium with no detectable erythropoietin. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci 74: 3 879-3882 (1977).
62. JOHNSON, G. R , DRESCH, C. and METCALF, D. - Heterogeneity in human neutrophil, macrophage and eosinophil progenitor cells demonstrated by velocity sedimentation separation. Blood 50: 823-831 (1977).
63. M A C K A Y , I . R. — Changes in human lymphocyte activity with age. lnterdiscipl. Topics Ceront. 11: 75-80 (1977).
64. MACKAY, I . R , W H I T T I N G H A M , S. and TAIT, B. - Genetic control of immune responsiveness in man.
Vox Sang. 32: 10-19 (1977).
65. MARCHALONIS, J. J. - Antigen recognition by T lymphocytes: status of the minimal hypothesis. Ric.
Clin. Lab. 7: 1-10 (1977).
66. MARCHALONIS, J. J., DECKER, J. M . , DELUCA, D., MOSELEY, J. M., SMITH, P. and WARR, G. W. — Lymphocyte surface immunoglobulins: evolutionary origins and involvement in activation.
Cold Spr. Harb. Symp. Quant. Biol. 41: 261-273 (1976).
MEDICAL BIOLOGY 115 67. MARCHALONIS, J. J., WARR, G. W., BUCANAN, C , HOYER L., SZENBERG, A. and WARNER,
N. L. - Demonstration and partial characterization of murine B and T cell surface immunoglobulins using avian antibodies. ICN-UCLA Symposium on Regulation of the immune system: Genes and cells in which they function. Park City, Utah, 20-25 March, 1977. Abstracts: J. Supramol. Struct., suppl. I , 1977.
68. METCALF, D. - In vitro cloning techniques hemopoietic cells: clinical applications? Ann. Intern. Med.87:
69. METCALF, D , JOHNSON, G. R. and WILSON, J. - Radiation-induced enlargement of granulocytic and macrophage progenitor cells in the mouse bone marrow. Exp. Hematol. 5: 299-309 (1977).
70. MILLER, J. F. A. P. — The cellular basis of immune responsiveness. Clinics in Haematology 6: 277-298 (1977).
71. MILLER, J. F. A. P. and VADAS, M . A. — Antigen activation of T lymphocytes: influence of major histocompatibility complex. Cold Spr. Harb. Symp. Quant. Biol. 41: 579-588 (1976).
72. MILLER, J. F. A. P. and VADAS, M . A. -r The major histocompatibility complex: influence on immune reactivity and T-lymphocyte activation. Scand. J. Immunol. 6: 771-778 (1977).
73. MILLER, J. F. A. P., VADAS, M . A., WHITELAW, JS... GAMBLE, J. and BERNARD, C. - Histocompatibility linked immune responsiveness and restrictions'imposed on sensitized lymphocytes. J. Exp.
Med. 145: 1623-1628 (1977).
74. MITCHELL, G. F. - Some expectations for immunology in veterinary medicine. Viclorian Veterinary Proceedings pp. 6-7 (1977).
75. MITCHELL, G. F. — Studies on immune responses to parasite antigens in mice. V. Different susceptibilities of hypothymic and intact mice to Babesia rodhaini. Int. Arch. Allergy 53: 385-388 (1977).
76. MITCHELL, G. F. and H A N D M A N , E. — Studies on immune responses to larval cestodes in mice: a simple mechanism of nonspecific immunosuppression in mesocestoides corti infected mice. Aust. J. Exp. Biol. Med.
Sci. 55: 615-622 (1977).
77. MITCHELL, G. F„ GODING, J. W. and RICKARD, M . D. - Studies on immune responses to larval cestodes in mice. I . Increased susceptibility of certain mouse strains and hypothymic mice to Taenia laeniaeformis and analysis of passive transfer of resistance with serum. Aust. J. Exp. Biol. Med. Sci. 55: 165- 186 (1977).
78. MITCHELL, G. F , HOGARTH-SCOTT, R. S., EDWARDS, R. D. and MOORE, T. - Studies on immune responses to parasite antigens in mice. I I I . Nippostronglylus brasiliensis infections in hypothymic nu/nu mice. Int. Arch. Allergy 52: 95-104 (1977).
79. MITCHELL, G. F , MARCHALONIS, J. J., SMITH, P. M„ NICHOLAS, W. L. and WARNER, N . L.
— Studies on immune responses to larval cestodes in mice. I I . Immunoglobulins associated with the larvae of Mesocestoides corti. Aust. J. Exp. Biol. Med. Sci. 55: 187-211 (1977).
80. MOORE, M. A. S„ BURGESS, A. W., METCALF, D„ McCULLOCH, E. A , ROBINSON, W. A , DICKE, K. A., CHERVENICK, P. A., BULL, J. M„ WU, A. M , STANLEY, E. R , GOLDMAN, J. and TESTA, N . - Report of a workshop on standardization of selective cultures for normal and leukaemic cells - International Cancer Research Workshop Programme (Icrew). Brit. J. Cancer 35: 500-518 (1977).
81. MORRIS, P. J , VAUGHAN, H , TAIT, B. D. and MACKAY, I . R. - Histocompatibility antigen (HLA):
associations with immunopathic diseases and with responses to microbial antigens. Aust. N.Z. J. Med. 7:
82. MOSELEY, J. M . , MARCHALONIS, J. J., HARRIS, A. W. and PYE, J. - Molecular properties of T lymphoma immunoglobulin. I. Serological and general physicochemical properties. J. Immunogenet. 4: 233- 248 (1977).
83 MYERS, J. B , FROST, M„ COATES, A. S„ MATHEWS, J. D. and KINCAID-SMITH, P. - Carcinoembryonic antigen in renal allograft recipients and immunosuppressed renal patients. Aust. N.Z. J.
Med. 7: 16-19 (1977).
84. NOSSAL, G. J. V. — Scientific research and medical progress — nemesis or nirvana? World Hospitals 13:
85. NOSSAL, G. J. V„ SHORTMAN, K., HOWARD, M . and PIKE, B. L. - Current problem areas in the study of B lymphocyte differentiation. Immunological Reviews. 37: 187-209 (1977).
86. RAISON, R. L. and MARCHALONIS, J. J. — Comparative peptide mapping of radioiodinated light chains derived from homogeneous rabbit anti-streptococcal antibodies. Biochemistrv 16: 2036-2039 (1977).
87. RAISON, R. L. and MARCHALONIS, J. J. - Structural restriction and similarities ofthe light chains of antibodies to group B streptococcal carbohydrate produced in a single rabbit. J. Immunogenet. 4: 221-231 (1977).
88. RUBEN, L. N., WARR, G. W , DECKER, J. M . and MARCHALONIS, J. J. - Phylogenetic origins of immune recognition: Lymphoid heterogeneity and the hapten/carrier effect in the goldfish. Carassius auratus. Cell. Immunol. 31: 266-283 (1977).
89. SCHMECKPEPER, B. J , CORY, S. and ADAMS, J. M . - Comparison of immunoglobulin chains made in an ascites extract and reticulocyte lysate programmed with mRNA from four mouse myelomas. Biochim.
Biophvs. Acta. 476: 303-320 (1977).
90. SCOTT, D. W., LAYTON, J. E. and NOSSAL, G. J. V. - Role of IgD in the immune response and tolerance. I . Anti-u pretreatment facilitates tolerance induction in adult B cells in vitro. J. Exp. Med. 146:
91. SHORTMAN. K.. RYDEN, A., DUNKLEY, M . and VON BOEHMER, H. - Some requirements for the response of separated T-cell sub-populations to the mitogens phytohaemagglutinin and concanavalin A. Aust.
J. Exp. Biol. Med. Sci. 55: 585-603 (1977).
92. STEVENS, D. P, STAGG, R. and MACKAY, I . R . ' - What happens when hospitalized patients see their own records? Ann. Intern. Med. 86: 474-477 (1977).
93. STOCKER, J. W. - Function maturation of B cells in vitro. Immunology 32: 275-282 (1977).
94. STOCKER, J. W. - Tolerance induction in maturing B cells. Immunology 32: 283-290 (1977).
95. SYMINGTON, G„ MACKAY, I . R. and CURRIE, T. T. - Functional improvement in multiple sclerosis during prolonged induced hvpothermia: Report of two cases. Neurology 142: 302-303 (1977).
96. SYMINGTON, G. R , MACKAY, I . R. and LAMBERT, R. P. - Cancer and teratogenesis: Infrequent
97. SZENBERG, A , MARCHALONIS, J. J. and WARNER, N . L. - Direct demonstration of murine thymus-dependent cell surface endogenous immunoglobulin. Proc. Nal. Acad. Sci. 74: 2113-2117 (1977).
98. T A N I G U C H I , M and MILLER, J. F. A. P. - Enrichment of specific suppressor T cells and characterization of their surface markers./. Exp. Med. 146: 1450-1454 (1977).
99. VADAS, M . A. and MILLER, J. F. A. P. — Influence of the major histocompatibility complex on the transfer of delayed hypersensitivity to antigens under Ir gene control in mice. ICN-UCLA Symposium on Regulation of the immune system; genes and cells in which they function. Park City, Utah, 20-25 March, 1977. Abstracts: J. Supramol. Struct, suppl. 1, 1977.
100. VADAS, M . A., MILLER, J. F. A. P., WHITELAW, A. M . and GAMBLE, J. R. - Regulation by the H-2 gene complex of delayed type hypersensitivity. Immunogenetics 4: 137-153 (1977).
101. WARNER, N . L , GODING, J. W , G U T M A N , G. A., WARR, G. W„ HERTZENBERG, L. A., VANDER LOO, W , BLACK, S. J. and LOKEN, M . R. - Allotypes of mouse'Igm immunoglobulins.
Nature 265: 447-449 (1977).
102. WARR, G. W. and MARCHALONIS, J. J. - Lymphocyte surface immunoglobulin ofthe goldfish differs from its serum counterpart. Development and Comparative Immunol. 1: 15-22 (1977).
103. W A R R , G. W., DECKER, J. M . , MAlMDEL, T. E., DELUCA, D., H U D S O N , R. and MARCHALONIS, J. J. - Lymphocyte-like cells of the tunicate, pyura stolonifera: binding of lectins, morphological and functional studies. Aust. J. Exp. Biol. Med. Sci. 55: 151-164 (1977).
104. WHITELAW, A., MILLER, J. F. A. P. and MITCHELL, G. F. - Studies on immune responses to parasite antigens in mice. V I . Delayed type hypersensitivity to blood cells from Plasmodium berghei infected mice.
Cell. Immunol. 32: 216-222 (1977).
105. W H I T T I N G H A M , S. and MACKAY, I . R. — Tissue antigens: Autoantigens, alloantigens, xenoantigens and neoantigens. Aust. N.Z. J. Med. 7: 172-194 (1977).
106 W H I T T I N G H A M , S„ PITT, D. B„ SHARMA, D. L. B. and MACKAY, I . R. - Stress deficiency ofthe T lymphocyte system exemplified by Down's syndrome. Lancet 1: 163-166 (1977).
107. WOODRUFF, M . F. A. and WARNER, N . L. - The effect of corynebacterium parvum on tumor growth in normal and athymic (nude) mice. J. Nat. Cancer Inst. 58: 111-116 (1977).
T H E S E S P A S S E D F O R H I G H E R D E G R E E S Doctor of Philosophy
BURTON, R. C. — In vitro induction of T cell mediated immunity to murine tumour antigens GODING, J. W. - Lymphocyte surface immunoglobulin and la antigens in the mouse.
HOWARD, M. C. — B lymphocytes differentiation in the mouse.
T H E S E S IN P R O G R E S S PhD Theses in Progress BUCKLEY, J. D. — Cancer epidemiology and diagnosis
CEREDIG, R. - In vitro studies of cell mediated immunity lo human and murine tumour associated antigen GOUGH, N. M. — Control of immunoglobulin gene expression
IMANISHI, K. — Electron microscopic studies of the surface membranes of normal and neoplastic murine lymphoid cells and of membrane models.
LAMBERT, R. P. — Computer processing of medical record data in a cardiac surgery unit.
LAYTON, J. E. — The function of lymphocyte surface IgM and IgD during B cell maturation McCARTHY, J. H. — Regulation of granulocyte and macrophage populations in leukaemia
SCHUMACHER, M. J. — Immunological mechanisms in immediate hypersensitivity diseases of the respiratory tract
SMITH, F. I. — Activation of T lymphocytes in cellular immunity WATT, S. M. — Molecular aspects of haemopoietic differentiation M.Sc Theses in Progress MOTTRAM, P. — The role of the macrophage in delayed type hyposensitivity PIKE, B. — Humoral immune responses by mouse B lymphocytes in vitro
RUSSELL, S. — Characteristics of serum factors inhibiting or potentiating the action of colony stimulating factor WILSON, E. — Colony stimulating factor for human cells