Chairman of department: Dr Alison M. H. Patrick Max Crawford Professor GREGORY MOORE DENNING
Ernest Scott Professor GEOFFREY N O R M A N BLAINEY Readers WESTON ARTHUR BATE
W I L L I A M CULICAN LAWRENCE ROY GARDINER DONALD EDWARD KENNEDY NOEL DAVID McLACHLAN LLOYD ROBSON
Senior Lecturers GRAEME DAVISON JOHN BRADLEY HIRST SOW THENG LEONG
DONALD FARQUHAR MACKAY DONNA MERWICK
ALISON MARY HOUSTON PATRICK RONALD THOMAS RIDLEY IAN GORDON ROBERTSON Lecturers CARNEY THOMAS FISHER
JOHN HARVEY FOSTER A L L A N JOHN JOHNSTON COLIN JAMES MITCHELL DAVID PHILIPS
CHARLES ORVIS SOWERWINE CHARLES FRANCES ZIKA
Principal Tutor JACQUELINE TEMPLETON Senior Tutor SUSIE EHRMANN
Tutors DAVID DUNSTAN PATRICIA GRIMSHAW PHILIPPA MADDERN BEVERLEY ROBERTS
Aboriginal and Oceanic Ethnology Research Fellow WAYNE ORCHISTON Research Fellow ROBERT DEVELIN
Research Associate BARBARA FALK Associate DANNY SPOONER
A. AMERICAN HISTORY
1. D. MERWICK - Dutch Uses of Land and Space in Colonial Albany, New York, 1652-1700; Translation of the Works of Domini Henricus Selyns, a Dutch Minister of New York in the 17th Century.
2. A. JOHNSTON - The Black Community of Washington, 1860-1880; Ethnicity and the American Past.
T H E S E S IN P R O G R E S S PhD Thesis in Progress A. HOWE - Popular Action in New York in the American Revolution
M.A. Thesis in Progress
P. NEWBURY - Social Structure and Political Allegiance in Revolutionary New York City. 1765-1775 B. ANCIENT HISTORY
1. R. DEVELIN - Roman History.
2. R. T. RIDLEY - Completed six articles on the Palermo Stone. Thucydides' audience, Pompey's career in the 50s, Roman extraordinary military commands, the economic effects of the civil wars, and reactions to Augustus; Monograph Study on Perizonius.
T H E S E S I N P R O G R E S S PhD Theses in Progress R. GILLIAM - Character of the Goddess Hathor
W. TABBERNEE — The Opposition lo Monlanism from Church and State 28
HISTORY 29 M.A. Theses in Progress
E. HOOPER — Antiquarian Theory Concerning the Origin ofthe Cells A. HORSLEY — An Urban Study of a Town in Roman Gaul J. ZIMMER — Islamic Jewellery
C. ASIAN HISTORY
1. S. T. LEONG - Swatow and its hinterland since the mid-19th Century; Traditional issues in Contemporary Sino-Soviet Relations.
2. C. FISHER — The Great Ritual Controversy in Ming China.
PhD Theses in Progress
L. DIXON — Australian Participation in the Christian Missionary Enterprise in China. 1888-1953 A. G. MOLLER - Chinese Intellectuals under the KMT. 1930's and 1940s
M. UNDERDOWN — Mongolian nationalist movements
D. AUSTRALIAN HISTORY 1. W. BATE - Ballarat History.
2. L. ROBSON - Historv of Tasmania.
3. J. PARNABY - Biography of Sir Charles Gavan Duffy.
4. J. HIRST - Social and Political History of New South Wales, 1788-1860.
5. B. FALK - Five generations of Jewish assimilation in Australia: The ethos of Australian universities.
T H E S E S IN P R O G R E S S PhD Theses in Progress A. G. BARRETT - Local Government in Victoria 1835-70 G. S. COPE — 77te Woollen industry in 19th Century Victoria
J. D. DAVIES — Some Aspects of Commonwealth Government Policy towards Germans and German Descendants in Australia 1914-20
D. J. JORDAN - Nettie Palmer and Woman Writers of the 1920s and 30s
D. J. McCONVILLE - Irish Immigrants in ihe Societies of Melbourne and Sydney in late 19th and early 20th Centuries
J. TEMPLETON - 77ie Boys Come Home: A Study of World War I Veterans M.A. Theses in Progress
J. CRITCHETT - A Study of Victorian Government Aboriginal Policy in the period I860 to early 1900s and its Impact on the Aborigines in Western District
M. EAGLE — Sydney Painters and Svdnev Society in the 1920s D. EDWARDS - History of Diamond Valley
J. C. FAHEY - Land Settlement in North of Victoria C. R. GIBBS — Transportation Debate in Van Diemen's Land
T. D. HOLLAND - The Importance of Irish Immigrants in Victoria 1850-70
C. JOHNSTONE - Study of the establishment 119151 and Growth and Development of the Broken Hill Associated Smelters Ply. Ltd., at Port Pirie, S. Australia
G. D. JONES — Study of the Employment of Single Women in the Teaching Profession in 19th Century Australia, with special reference to the work of governesses.
R. KISS - History of Fitzroy
M. LETHLEAN - Historv of Ballarat An Gallery
R. W. MARRIOTT - The Patterns of Land Settlement around Ballarat after the Gold Rushes 1850-60 J. MILLMAN — 77ie Organization and Administration of Institutions for the Mentally 111 in Victoria 1850-86 P. McKAY — A Historv of the Cement Industry in Australia
A. McPHERSON - William Butterfield and the building of St. Paul's Cathedral. Melbourne L. O'BRIEN — Destitute Old Age in Victoria in the Colonial and early Commonwealth Period K. J. PEOPLES - Social Elites in Bendigo 1860-90
H. POOK — Depression and Government in Victoria 1929-35 C. RASMUSSEN - History of Coburg Branches ofthe A.L.P.
F. ROCCA — Italian Community in Australia
A. ROLFE — Themes Relating to the Development of Swan Hill E. ROSANDER - Viclorian Museums
D. THOMPSON - Gambling in Australia
P. B. THORNTON-SMITH - 1917 General Election in Australia
B. R. USSHER - Protestant Churches and the Working class in Melbourne, 1880-1900 D. W. WEBSTER - 77ie Radical Press in the 1840's
J. WHITESIDE - 77ie Live Theatre in Australia during the First World War
E. BRITISH HISTORY 1. L. GARDINER — Cardinal Wolsey's Household and associated activities 2. N . McLACHLAN - Biography of Wilmot Horton
3. D. PHILIPS - Crime and Authority in England, c. 1780-1850 4. D. McKAY - British Women and the Risorgimento.
T H E S E S IN P R O G R E S S PhD Thesis in Progress P. OLIVER - Quaker Testimony and Lamb's War
M.A. Theses in Progress L. M. CONWAY — Nationalism. Feminism and Revolutionary Ireland 5. COFFEY — Sabbatarianism
J. DODDS - 77ie Pilgrimage of Grace
J. DOLAN — Newspaper Press in Britain during [he Great War J. ELLIS — Puritanism and the Jacobean Church
J. C. HARRIS — Richard Sibbes and early I6th century Puritanism A. G. L. LEMON — Biography of James Balfour
G. R. TREMBATH — Women and the Owenite Movement Within Great Britain
J. C. MAGUIRE — Hegelianism in 19lh Century Scottish Intellectual Life: the Influence of the Brothers John and Edward Caird
F. EUROPEAN HISTORY 1. J. FOSTER - Bavarian Jewish Communities in the 19th Century.
2. A. PATRICK — French revolutionary history, concentrating on the response of local government bodies to revolutionary policy, and the problem of implementing policy in local areas; Completed for publication a paper on religious policy in the department ofthe Maine-et-Loire, and an article on the problem of public information during the revolutionary period.
3. I. ROBERTSON - The Papal State under Paul II.
4. C. O. SOWERWINE - Revision of Les Femmes et le socialisme en France, un siecle d'hisloire; 300 biographical notices for the Dictionnaire biographique du mouvemenl ouvrier francais; Socialists, Syndicalists, and Women: The Couriau Affair; The Origins of Socialism and Communism in the Department of the Ain.
5. C. ZIKA — Aspects of the interrelationship between humanism, religion and the occult sciences at the turn of the 16th Century.
T H E S E S IN P R O G R E S S PhD Thesis in Progress P. MacLEAN — Eastern Jews in Germany
C. J. MITCHELL — 77ie French Legislative Assembly. April — September 1792 M.A. Theses in Progress
J. ADLER — Jewish Resistance in Paris M. HOPKINS - German-Russian Relations
C. J. McGUFFIE — International Labour Organizations, 1914-21 G. PACIFIC HISTORY
1. G. M . DENING - Completed editing of The Journal of William Pascoe Crook and a Marquesan-English Dictionary for publication; Research on Islands and Beaches, a study of cultural boundaries and those who crossed them; Social history of lower-deck sailors in the Pacific; completed for publication "Violent Men:
Americans in the Pacific".
2. W. ORCHISTON - Continued research into Culture Contact and Culture Change in Early Protohistoric New Zealand; Prehistoric South Island New Zealand Maori Culture; The Quaternary Geology and Prehistory of Flinders Island; Analysis of most of the Material Derived from Dr Gallus'. A Excavation at Dry Creek near Keilor. Also maps and text for section of Times Atlas of World History; continued as Editor of The Artefact.
T H E S E S IN P R O G R E S S PhD Thesis in Progress E. WOOD-ELLEM - Queen Salole Tupou III
M.A. Theses in Progress
J. CARTER — Role of Collectors of Archaeological Relics in Victoria prior to Professional Archaeological Studies
HISTORY 31 M. CHAMBERS - Polynesian Missionary Teachers in the W. Pacific 1830-70
C. HELMS — The Reception ofthe Anglican Church Mission in British New Guinea L. C. HORROCKS - Dynamics of Culture Contact in the Pacific
H . U R B A N H I S T O R Y
]. G. DAVISON - Origins of Urban Sociology: Britain and the United States, 1880-1930.
PUBLISHED WORK BOOKS
1. BLAINEY, G. — The Causes of War. Sun Books and Macmillan, London, 1977 (enlarged edition), pp. x + 302.
2. DENING. G. M . - Xavier. A Centenary Portrait. Graphic Press, 1977.
3. PHILIPS, D. - Crime and Authority in 'Victorian England: The Black Country 1835-1860. Croom Helm, London, 1977.
B O O K L E T
4. BLAINEY, G. — The Politics o f Big Business: a History. Academy of Social Sciences, Canberra, 1977, pp. 17.
CHAPTERS OF BOOKS
5. BLAINEY. G. — Forward to Adelaide Lubbock, People in Glass Houses. Nelson, Melbourne, 1977, pp. xi- xii.
6. BLAINEY, G. — Foreword to R. Lacour-Gayet, A Concise History of Australia, Penguin Books, 1977, pp. ix-x.
7. MERWICK, D. - Orestes Brownson and the Boston Catholic Clergy, 1844 to I860 in American Studies Down Under: Proceedings of the Australian and New Zealand American Studies Association, ed. Norman Harper, University of Queensland Press, 1976.
8. CULICAN, W. C. - Seals in Bronze Mounts. Rivista di Studi Fenici. V, 1, (1977) 1-4.
9. CULICAN, W. C. - Syrian and Cvpriot Cubical Seals. Levant, IX, 162-7 (1977).
10. CULICAN, W. C. - The Case for the Baurat-Schiller Crowns. J. Wallers Art Gallery. 35. 15-36 (1977).
11. ORCHISTON, D. W. - Discovery of the bones of the extinct giant rail, Aptornis otidiformis, at an archaic site near Needles Point, Marlborough. New Zealand Archaeological Association Newsletter 20, (1977).
12. ORCHISTON, D. W. - Petrological studies in South Island New Zealand Prehistory. 2. Maori use of while limestone. The Artefact (n.s.) 2: 171-196 (1977).
13. ORCHISTON. D. W. - Prehistoric man in the Nth. Canterbury Downlands, New Zealand Archaeological Association Newsletter 20: 114-121 (1977).
14. ORCHISTON, D. W. et al. - "A historv of 19th Centurv investigations at the Lancefield megafaunal site.
77je Artefact (n.s.) 2: 105-122 (1977).
15. ORCHISTON, D. W. et al. - The significance of the Dry Creek archaeological sites in Australian prehistory. In 48th ANZAAS Congress Abstracts 2, 473 (1977).
16. RIDLEY, R. T. - Ettore Pais. Heltkon 15/16, 500-533.
17. RIDLEY, R. T. - Reactions to Octavian-Augustus. Iris, 9-27.
18. SOWERWINE, C. O. - Le Groupe feministe socialiste (1899-1902). Le Mouvemem social. No. 90.
19. SOWERWINE, C. O. - The Organization of French Socialist Women, 1880-1914: A European Perspective for Women's Movements. Historical Reflections/Reflexions Historiques. Winter 1976.
20. SOWERWINE, C. O. - Revolution and Introduction (the latter with D. Philips), ABC Civilization Series.
The 19th Century.
21. SOWERWINE, C. O. - Women and the Origins of the French Socialist Party: A Neglicted Contribution.
Third Republic/Troisieme Republique. Winter 1976-77.
22. SOWERWINE, C. O. - Women, Socialism, and Feminism, 1872-1922. Third Republic/Troisieme Republique. Winter 1976-77.
23. ZIKA, C. - Reuchlin and Erasmus: Humanism and Occult Philosophy. Journal of History of Religions, 9: 223-246 (1977).
T H E S E S P A S S E D F O R H I G H E R D E G R E E S Doctor of Philosophy
1. HOFFMAN, J. E. - "The Malay Language as a Force in Nationalism in the Indonesian Archipelago, 1870- 1930".
2. McPHEE, P. - "The Study of the Nature of, and Reasons for the Emergence of a Left Wing Tradition in
Master of Arts
3 FERGUSON, B. A. - "Quadripartite Interaction of Portland, Mt. Gambicr, Adelaide and Melbourne 1860- 1917".
4. KEANE. Ms. M . D. — "Missionary Families in thc New Hebrides".
5. WALKER. D. J. - "Puritan Arguments in the 1640s".