Chariman of department: Mr W. W. S. Charters Professor PETER NUMA JOUBERT
Readers EDWIN JOSEPH ANTHONY ARMAREGO W I L L I A M WALLACE STEWART CHARTERS W I L L I A M POWELL LEWIS
ANTHONY EDWARD PERRY Senior Lecturers SIDNEY JOHN CLIFTON
MALCOLM CAMPBELL GOOD ERROL ROBERT HOFFMANN LESLIE JAMES JONES VENDELIN RASO MEGLER ERIC EDWARD M I L K I N S PETER MILNER CECIL JOHN PENGILLEY ABRAM ROTENBERG ANDREW EMERY SAMUEL HARRY CHARLES WATSON JOHN FRANCIS WILLIAMS
Senior Lecturer in Industrial Engineering ERNEST A L L A N KAYE Lecturers KENNETH CHARLES BROWN
EDWARD JOHN COLVILLE DALE I A N PULLIN
Research Officers M I N SEONG CHONG PETER HAROLD HOFFMANN PETER OHANESSIAN ALEXANDER JOHN SMITS
RESEARCH TOPICS IN PROGRESS A. APPLIED THERMODYNAMICS 1. Solar heat pipe collectors.
2. Solar heat pumps for building heating and cooling.
3. Performance of passive solar energy systems.
4. Natural convection phenomenon in inclined cells.
5. Solar absorption cycle air-conditioning.
6. Reduction of free convection losses in solar collectors.
7. Effectiveness of exhaust gas lead filters.
8. Heal transfer in automobile radiators.
9. Modelling of HC, CO and NOx emissions from cars.
10. Modelling of automotive fuel comsumption.
11. Cycle-by-cyclc variability in spark ignition engine combustion.
12. Flame propagation in spark ignition engines.
13. Simulation and study of traffic patterns.
14. Hydrogen engine combustion.
B. DYNAMICS 1. Vehicular crashes with ulilily poles.
2. Simulation of open-loop and closed-loop driver/vehicle dynamics on low friction surfaces.
C. ENGINEERING DESIGN 1. Problem solving and decision making processes.
2. Social and environmental factors in design.
3. Engineering judgement.
4. Information processing and computer aided design.
5. Diagnostic problem solving.
6. Design education.
D. FLUID MECHANICS 1. Viscous resistance of ship shapes.
2. Turbulent flow- in curved ducts.
3. The structure of self similar unsteady rolled-up vortex sheets.
4. An experimental study of the stability of the starling vortex.
5. Improved schemes lor the numerical treatment of general vortex sheet dynamics.
6. Heat conduction in a gas in the rarefied limit.
7. Coherent structures in coflowing jets and wakes.
8. Motion of smoke rings.
9. Steady and unsteady separation.
10. Structure of wall turbulence.
11. Boundary layer transition.
E. HUMAN ENGINEERING
1. The effects of steering wheel forces on drivers' steering control using a variable characteristic car.
2. Design of turn restriction signs.
3. Motor-cycle conspicuity and road accidents.
4. Mathematical modelling of drivers in lateral and longitudinal control.
5. Traffic signs for poor readers.
6. Human movements in simple assembly tasks.
7. Indirect measurement of task difficulty.
F. INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERING 1. Development of general cutting analyses for machining operations.
2. Geometrical specifications of single point tools.
3. Surface finish and force predictions in turning operations.
4. Economical selection of cutting conditions in single and multipass turning operations.
5. The geometrical specification of twist drills.
6. Investigations of the geometry and grinding of the conventional twist drill point.
7. Mechanics of cutting analysis of drilling geometry.
8. Geometrical and force variability in manufactured twist drills.
9. Quality control of manufactured drills.
10. Fundamental and practical aspects of machining with power hacksaws.
11. Temperatures and tool-life in machining operations.
12. Machining with form tools.
13. Standardization of cutting tool specifications.
14. Financial modelling of a firm.
G. SOLID MECHANICS AND BIOMECHANICS 1. Estimation of residual stress distribution in the vicinity of a propagating fatigue crack.
2. Mathematical models for fatigue crack growth rate with constant and variable stress intensity factors.
3. The influence of the Bauschinger effect on the stresses al the tip of a crack.
4. The effect of mean stress level on the low cycle fatigue properties of metals.
5. The effect of overload ratio and crack length on residual stresses at the tip of a crack.
6. Crack growth arrest.
7. Crack closure and compliance.
8. Time dependent effects in fatigue crack growth.
9. Structural stability of stayed yacht masts.
10. Failure criteria for carbon fibre reinforced plastics.
H. SYSTEMS THEORY AND TECHNOLOGY 1. Analysis of Complex Systems.
2. Multi-Criteria Decision Making.
3. Fluid Amplifier Characteristics.
4. Automatic Typing of Speech.
5. Pulse Control of Systems using d.c. Motors.
6. Some Comparisons between Optimal and Classical Control System Responses.
7. Numerical Control of Machine Tools using Micro Processors.
PUBLISHED WORK CHAPTERS OF BOOKS
1. CHARTERS, W. W. S. - Ch. 6, "Solar energy utilization with liquid flat plate collectors", pp. 105-135 and Ch. 7, "Convective effects within honeycomb structures for flat plate solar collectors", pp. 137-153. "Solar Energy Engineering", Academic Press, N.Y., December, 1977.
2. SAMUEL, A. E. — "A Cement Mill Failure". Chapter 2, pp. 16-54 in Engineering Cases 1977. Washington, D. C. American Society for Engineering Education, 1977.
MECHANICAL ENGINEERING 93 ARTICLES
3. ARMAREGO, E. J. A. - "A General Cutting Analysis for Machining with Plane Rake Face Tools", Proceedings of the Australian Conference on Manufacturing Engineering. Inst. Engrs., Aust., 42-46 (1977).
4. ARMAREGO, E. J.A. - "Geometrical Specification of Single Point Lathe Tools and the Normal Rake Method", Proceedings of the Australian Conference on Manufacturing Engineering. Inst. Engrs., Aust., 96- 101 (1977).
5. ARMAREGO, E. J. A. and UTHAICHAYA, M . - "A Mechanics of Cutting Approach for Force Prediction in Turning Operations". Int. J. Engg. Prod.. 1, 1-18 (1977).
6. BLOCK, T. E. and LEWIS, W. P. - Computer-Aided Plant Layout - Management Tool for the 1980's.
The Institution of Engineers, Australia. Proceedings o f Conference on Management. Newcastle: 105-109 (1977).
7. BLOCK, T. E. and LEWIS, W. P. - On Comparison of Computer Algorithms and Visual Based Methods for Plant Layout. Management Science. 24: 235-238.
8. FOX, J. C , GOOD, M . C. and JOUBERT, P. N . - Research into Victorian Pole Crashes. Joint ARRB/DOT Fixed Roadside Hazards Symposium. Paper No. 3 (1977).
9. GOOD, M . C. and JOUBERT, P. N . - Driver Vehicle Behaviour in Restricted - Path Turns. Ergonomics 20: 217-248 (1977).
10. GOOD, M . C. — Evaluation of Transition Curve Design Parameters Using an Analytical Vehicle Model.
Aust. Rd Res. 7: 14-22 (1977).
11. GOOD, M . C. - Sensitivity of Driver-Vehicle Performance to Vehicle Characteristics Revealed in Open- loop Tests. Veh. Syst. Dynamics 6: 245-277 (1977).
12. HOFFMANN, E. R. and MACDONALD, W. A. - "A Comparison of Stack and Diagrammatic Advance Direction Signs". Australian Road Research, Vol. 7, No. 4, December 1977, pp. 21-26.
13. HUNT, I . A. and JOUBERT, P. N. - Turbulent Flow in a Rectangular Duct. 6th Aust. Hydraulics and Fluid Mechanics Conference, 403-406, l.E.Aust Adelaide, December 1977.
14. JOUBERT, P. N . - Viscous drag of ship bodies. Paper presented at 2nd AINSE Engineering Conference.
Lucas Heights, August 1977.
15. L I M , T. T. — Coherent structures in co-flowing jets and wakes. Paper presented at 2nd AINSE Engineering Conference, Lucas Heights, August 1977.
16. MACDONALD, W. A. and HOFFMAN, E. R. - "A Secondary Task Measure of Driving Demands: Test Track Evaluation". Australian Road Research Board, Research Report ARR 70, December 1977.
17. OHANESSIAN, P. and CHARTERS, W. W. S. - "Theoretical Performance o f a Passive Solar Energy Collection System for Home Heating". Revue Internationale d'Heliotechnique. 2nd Sentestra, 1977.
18. PERRY, A.'E. and HOFFMANN. P. H. - An experimental study of turbulent convective heat transfer from a fiat plate. JFM 77. (1976) pp. 355-369.
19. PERRY, A. E. and ABELL, C. J. — Asymptotic similarity of turbulent structures in smooth and rough- walled pipes. J F M 79. (1977) pp. 785-799.
20. PERRY, A. E. - The time response of an aspirating probe in gas sampling. Journal of Physics E. /0, (1977), pp. 898-902.
21. PERRY, A. E. . Flow patterns in coherent and non-coherent structures. Paper presented at 2nd AINSE Engineering Conference. Lucas Heights, August 1977.
22. PULLIN, D. I . . DAVIS, J. and HARVEY, J. K. - Monte Carlo Calculations of the Rarefied Transition flow past a Bluff Faced Cylinder, in Progress in Aeronautics and Astronautics (Ed. Potter), Vol. 51, Part I , pp. 379-91, A I A A , N.Y. (1977).
23. PULLIN, D. I . and HARVEY, J. K. - A Numerical Simulation ofthe Rarefied Hypersonic Flat Plate Problem. J. Fluid Mech.. 78. 4, pp. 689-707 (1976).
24. PULLIN, D. I . and HARVEY, J. K. - Direct Simulation Calculations of the Rarefied Flow past a Forward Facing Step. AIAA J.. 15. pp. 124-126 (1977).
25. PULLIN, D. I . - On Starting Flow past a Wedge. Paper presented at 2nd AINSE Engineering Conference.
Lucas Heights, August 1977.
26. WATMUFF, J. H., CHARTERS, W. W. S. and PROCTOR, D. - "Solar and Wind Induced External Coefficients — Solar Collectors". Revue Internationale d'Hiliotechnique: 2nd Semestra. 1977.
27. WATMUFF, J. H. - Turbulent structures as viewed from moving frames of reference. Paper presented at 2nd AINSE Engineering Conference. Lucas Heights, August 1977.
28. WATSON, H. C. - A review ofthe Technology of motor vehicle exhaust lead traps, including proposals for methods oftheir adoption in Australia. Paper presented to Lead Filter Sub-committee of COMVE. 1977.
29. WATSON, H. C. - Proposed methods for adoption of lead traps in Australia. A.LP. Symposium on Energy Conservation and Exhaust Gas Filler Development, April 1977.
30. WATSON, H. C. - Particulate traps - the current technology costs and benefits from lead traps. S.A.E.A.
paper No. 771006.
31. WATSON, H. C. and MILKINS, E. E. - The prediction of urban vehicle fuel consumption. S.A.E.J. and S.A.E.A. 3rd International Automotive Convention, paper No. 12. Tokyo, 1977.
32. W I L L I A M S , M . J. and HOFFMANN, E. R. - "The Influence of Motorcycle Visibility on Traffic Accidents". Australian Department o f Transport. July, 1977.
T H E S E S P A S S E D F O R H I G H E R D E G R E E S Doctor of Philosophy
1. BLOCK, T. E. - Aspects of the Quadratic Assignment of Indivisible Activities to Locations 2. CHONG, M. S. — Air Motion in Engine Cylinders
Master of Engineering Science 4. CHIA, D. T. H. — A Study of the Surface Finish in Turning 5. HII. S. — The Residual Gas Ignition of Hydrogen
6. HO, P. Y. K. — An Analysis for Maximum Production Rates in Rough Turning Operations 7. KAY, H. K. - Natural Convection Effects in Flat Plate Collectors
8. KOUTSOHERAS, W. — Convective Neat Transfer in Inclined Cells — Numerical Simulation 9. OHANESSIAN, P. — Computer Simulation ofa Passive Solar Energy Collector
10. VOKACH-BRODSKY, B. R. B. - Solar Energy System Simulation 11. WILLIAMS, M. J. — Motorcycle Visibility and Traffic Accidents 12. YOUNG, P. A. — Anthropometric Studies of Quadriplegics
13. RONOSULISTYO, C. W. - A Study of Automobile High-Speed Steering Response T H E S E S IN P R O G R E S S
PhD Theses in Progress BROWNE, J. M. - Analysis of Complex Systems
DOREY, A. - The Effects of Steering Wheel Forces on Drivers' Steering Control FOX, J. C. - Studv of Utility Pole Collisions
GOLDSWORTHY, L. C. - Cycle by Cvcle Variability in Exhaust Emissions JOHNSON. R. C. - Multi-Criteria Decision Making
LIM, T. T. — Free Shear Flows
MACDONALD, W. A. - Indirect Measurement of Task Difficulty
McFADDEN, P. D. — The Relationship between Flame Propagation and Cylinder Pressure PARKER, M. — Fluid Amplifier Characteristics
PRYOR, T. - Heat and Mass Transfer in Desicanl Beds ROTENBERG, J. - Automatic Typing of Speech UBER, C. — Driver Gap Acceptance in Traffic Flows WATMUFF. J. H. - Wall Shear Flows
WINCH, K. - Effects of Road Lighting on Vehicle Control
WIRIYACOSOL, S. - An Investigation of Some Geometrical and Performance Aspects of Twist Drills WRIGHT, J. D. - The Influence of Point Geometry on the Performance of Manufactured Twist Drills
T H E S E S IN P R O G R E S S M.EngSc Theses in Progress
ABD-EL-SAYED, M. - Geometrical and Force Variability of'As Bought' Twist Drills ARMSTRONG. G. — Study of Human Movements in Simple Assembly Tasks BONOLLO, E. — The Geometry and Specification of Single Point Tools BORG. G. — Innovation in Australian Industry
BULACH, V. - Driving Patterns and Vehicle Emissions
CHIA, D. — Theoretical and Experimental Investigations of Surface Finish in Turning Operations CHUA, C. B. — Analysis of Heat Transfer Performance of Automobile Radiators
CHEN, W. D. — Air Cooled Solar Absorption Cycle Air-Conditioning DIXON, C. W. - Solar Boosted Heal Pump Air Conditioning DOHERTY, B. S. - Pulse Control of Systems using d.c. Motors GRIFFITHS, J. G. — Judgement in Engineering Design HENBEST, S. - Structure of Wall Turbulence
HENDERSON, J. — Numerical Control of Machine Tools using Micro Processors
HO, P. — Economical Selection of Cutting Conditions for Single and Multipass Turning Operations HUNT, K. — Development of the Hydrogen Engine
LAMBERT, J. F. — Some Comparisons between Optimal and Classical Control System Responses LAW, S. P. — An Investigation of Pressure Distribution on Two and Three Dimensional Bodies MARSHALL, G. — Traffic Pattern Characteristics for Emissions Prediction
McADAM. A. — Design of Emergency Medical Suction Equipment MCCARTHY. J. V. - Design of Traffic Signs for Poor Readers McKAY, R. — Motion of Smoke Rings
POUND, L. - The Structural Stability of Stayed Yacht Masts
RONOSULISTYO. C. W. - A Study of Automobile High-Speed Steering Response SASADEUSZ, C. L. - Layout of Industrial Plant
SENG, J. O. - Machining wilh Hacksaw Blades
SIER. G. H. - Engineering Diagnostics and Design Problem Solving SMITH, A. — Temperatures and Tool Life in Machining Operations TAYLOR, L. E. - Solar Boosted Heal Pump