EDUCATION 75 Minor Theses
J. F. ATKINSON — A Discussion of ihe Distinctiveness of Hirst's Forms of Knowledge P. D. HARRISON - Panerns of Authority in the Classroom
W. J. MITHEN — The Value of Educational Activities P. RZECHORZEK - Criteria Knowledge and Teaching B. SANTAMARIA - Equality and Education
1. Attitudes and achievements of 9-11 year old children - K. B. Start.
2. Attitudes and achievements or teachers and the learning of their pupils — K. B. Start.
3. 'Time-on-task' relations with pupil learning — K. B. Start.
4. Curiosity and affective arousal — J. Barsaloux.
See also Substantial Grants Received below.
PhD Theses in Progress M. AINLEY — The Role of Curiosity in Problem-solving
I. L. BALL — Performance in Si&ssful Situations
J. McMILLAN - The Effects of Counselling on Pre- and Post-Partum Anxiety in Primiparae R. MILNE — Moral Development in Early Childhood
H. SCHOFIELD - The Relationship between Teachers' Attitudes and Pupils' Achievements M.Ed Theses in Progress
Major Theses A. BALLARD — Curiosity and Cognition in Early Adolescence M. J. BOURNE — Cognition and Spatial Relations in Mathematics
G. J. BOYLE - Delimitation of Slate and Trail Curiosity in Relation lo Stale Anxiety and Performance on a Learning Task
H. GILMOUR - Survey of Oral Reading of Grade 2 Children
A. KENNEDY - Personality Factors and Mathematics Performance in Primary School Children
J. PARKER — Aspects of Peer Group Relationships in Primary School Classes wilh a Significant Migrant Component
A. M. RIDSDALE - The Achievement of and AuiiudeTowards the Teaching of Reading in Pre- and Post-science Teachers
I. F. SH ER WELL - Learner and Instructional Variables Contributing to the Learning and Retention of Related Concepts al the Formal Levels of Attainment
R. K. WATSON — Sources and Consequences of Classroom Empathy
J. D. WHITE - Personality and Achievement in Computer-based drill and Practice for Primary School Children V. C. YULE — Literacy for Educationally Disadvantaged Children
J. BECROFT - Relationships between Home Environment and Spelling Achievement of Grade 6 Pupils in Canberra
H. J. DAP1RON — Achievement of Migrant Children in Secondarv Schools B. T. DICKIE - Anxiety Scales
J. L. EVANS — Components of Test Anxiety
B.C. HESKETH - Provision of a Centralized Computing Facility for Secondary Schools in a Victorian Regional Area
R. D. HEWITT - Some Factors Contributing to the School Performance of 10 and 14 year old Migrant Children in Australia
B. HODGSON - Relieving Anxiety in Multiple Choice Examinations B. F. JACKLING — .SV.v. Sex Role Identity and Field Independence
B. JOHNSON - The Effects of Schools on the Reading Ability of Primary School Children
T. C. MATTHEWS — The Effects of Item Wording on Item Characteristics in the Slate-Trail Anxiety Inventory and the State-Trait Curiosity Inventory
M. MAYERS - The Use of the Rasch Model in Mathematics
G. MORGAN - Application of Bayesian Decision-theoretic Procedures to Criteria-referenced Texts N. A. PATEMAN — Remediating Elementary Mathematics of First Year Primary Teaching Students A. SCOTT — Motor-Sensory Therapy for Under-Achieving Children
K.J. SHARM AN - Relationship between Television Viewing Habits and Reading ofT welve Year Old Children B. W. SMITH - Investigations into "Time on Task" Concepts
M. SMITH — The Relationship between Peer Group Status and Academic Achievement in the Primary School R. 1. TINNING - Evaluation of the Status of Physical Education in a Sample of Geelong Primary Schools and an Analysis of the Constraints Affecting its Teaching
R. J. WELSH - Time on Task Study involving Grade 3 Primary School Children
1. Social differences in educational achievement — R . V . Teese.
2. Matthew Arnold: a study in culture and ideology - L. R. Johnson.
4. The concept of culture and thc English intellectual — L. R. Johnson.
5. Innovations in schools in Victoria - L. R. Johnson and P. N . Gill.
6. Australian intellectuals in the inter-war years — L. R. Johnson.
M.Ed Theses in Progress Major Theses
H. BANNISTER — An Analysis of the Development ofa Centralized Educational Bureaucracy in Victoria during the Nineteenth Century
O. FORD — A Study of Local Communities and their Schools in the Shire of Braybrook 1871-1951 J. D. GOODALL — The Application of Freire's Theory on Literary Teaching to English with particular reference to the Linguistic Aspects
J. C. HOWELLS — Sociological Aspects of Curriculum Development in Religious Education M. KEANE — The Phenomenonological Perspective as a Methodology for the Social Sciences D. D. McCALLUM — Aspects of Ideological Functioning of Schools
M. J. ORR - Critical Review of Deviance Literature with Emphasis on its Relevance to the Modern Urban Secondary School Situation
P. T. TONER — Sex-Rote Conditioning in Technical Schools Curriculum Minor Theses
M. DELARGY HEALY — Teachers' Involvement in the Juvenile Justice System E. DETH RIDGE - Problems in Art Education
M. J. FAULKNER - Some Reality Constructions of Gifted Working Class 11 Year Olds in Inner Suburban Primary Schools
J. GRANT — Sociology of Educational Ideas
B. HOPKINS — 77te Role of the Primary School Teacher as seen by Teaching College Students
L. LICHTMAN — Role of Education in the Creation of New Societies: An Analysis of Durkheim. Mannheim and lllich
B. PASQUA — Institutionalization of Community Participation Projects
R. S. STEWART — Religious Development of Senior Students in Selected Single-Sex and Co-Educational Catholic Schools
PUBLISHED WORK BOOKS
DOW, G. M . — Uncommon Common Sense. Pergamon Press, Sydney, 1977. Revised and republished.
FAWNS, R. A. (cd.) - Handbook for the Science Talent Search. Science Teachers' Association of Victoria, 1977.
HANSEN, I . V. - 77ze Meaning Machine: an introduction to sentence making for secondary students. Jacaranda Press, Brisbane, 1977.
MURRAY-SMITH, S. (consulting editor) - Freedom from Prejudice: an introduction lo the Australian collection in the National Gallery of Victoria, by Brian Finemore, National Gallery of Victoria, 1977.
MURRAY-SMITH, S. (ed.) - Melbourne Studies in Education 1977, Melbourne University Press, 1977.
CHAPTERS OF BOOKS
DOW, G. M . — 'Course B': School-Based Teacher Education, in Innovation in Teacher Education, cd. C. Turney.
pp. 241-6, Sydney University Press, 1977.
ARTICLES AND PAMPHLETS
DINES, E. - Variational Analysis ofa Discourse Pattern - and stuff like lhal. in Working Papers in Linguistics.
eds R. J. Zatorski and E. H. Pearce, pp. 33-56, University of Melbourne, 1977, No. 3.
FAWNS, R. A. - Humanistic Goals and Competency Based Teacher Education, in Journal of the South Pacific Association o f Teacher Education. 1977.
FAWNS, R. and BUSHELL, A. - Open Ended Research and the Science Talent Search, in Journal of the Science Teachers' Association o f Victoria 21(1): pp. 6-10 (1977).
FAWNS, R. A. - Science in the Compulsory Years, in Journal of the Science Teachers' Association of Victoria 21(4): pp. 34 (1977).
FAWNS, R. A. — Science Teacher Questioning in Two Enquiry Directed Settings, in Research in Science Education, 1977. (Australian Science Education Research Association).
FAWNS, R., SHEERS, A. and SPEHR, J. - 'Struggle for Survival' - A Game lor Senior Biologists, and a review of a trial version, in Journal of the Science Teachers' Association o f Victoria 21(4): pp. 31-33 (1977).
GRIFFIN, P. E. and START, K. B. - Evaluation of Museum Education Services, in New Directions in Museum Education. Australian UNESCO Seminar, Adelaide, 1977.
N . E. McMURRAY, M . E. BERNARD, K. VORWEYK and J. SCHILLING - Instructional Design for Accelerating Children's Concept Learning. Journal of Educational Psychology. 69(6): pp. 660-667.
SCHOFIELD, H. and START, K. B. — Attitudes towards Reading and the Teaching of Reading in a Group of Student Teachers. Journal of Educational Research 7(5): pp. 246-51 (1977).
SMITH, W. G. S. — Knowledge, Objectivity and the Paradigm Case Argument, in Educational Philosophy and Theory. 9(2): pp. 19-30 (October 1977).
T H E S E S P A S S E D F O R H I G H E R D E G R E E S Master of Education
1. CARDELL, K. J. — Very Little Poetry. Tertiary Literature Students and the Study of Poetry: Some Case Studies
2. ECKERSALL, K. E. - A History of Aims in Printing Education in Melbourne 1870-1970 3. GARDNER. P. R. - The Philosophy of Creativity
4. PALMER, K. I. — Matthew Arnold's Perception of Culture and the Implications of that Perception for his Educational Writing
5. BOYD, L. C. — Origins and Development of General Science in Victoria 1942-1962
6. BRICK, J. M. — An Analysis of Christian Socialist Thought with particular reference to Education as represented in their Journals "Politics for the People", "The Christian Socialist" and "The Journal of Association"; 1848-1852
7. BUNBURY, R. M. - Children's Understanding of Literature
8. CARNEGIE, A. B. — Continuing Education for Farmers in Victorian Agricultural Colleges 9. CLAUGHTON, W. G. - Self Overestimate and Scholastic Success
10. COOPER, M. C. - Women and Social Change
11. CROSS, R. J. — Distinguishing the Science content taken by Grade 12 students
12. ELLIOTT, R. H. - An Investigation of some Educational Implications of Holland's Theory of Vocational Choice
13. GEORGIOU, E. H. - Greek Migrant Parents' Attitudes Towards Handicap
14. MARTIN, R. A. — The Victorian Agricultural High Schools: Origins, Development and Failure, with special reference to Ballarat. Sale. Shepparton and Wangaratta Agricultural High Schools
15. MITCHELL. W. J. — Educational Leadership of Regional Directors
16. McDOUGALL, A. B. — Computer-based learning in an Australian setting: A Study of the Development and use of a Foreign Language Vocabulary Program at the University of Melbourne
17. NIELSEN, G. A. — A Comparative Study of three State Colleges of Victoria — Burwood. Frankston, Toorak 1973-1976
18. NORMAN. M. J. — Curriculum Design and Contemporary Values 19. NORTHROP, J. M. - Education in a General Sense
20. PARROTT, M. C. - Some conceptual problems in curriculum integration 21. QUIN, M. J. - The State College of Victoria
22. RAWLINGS, D. — Validation of the state-trait distinction in curiosity
23. RAWLINGS, M. L. — The effects of imputed popularity and imputed success on self-esteem and school achievement in the eighth grade
24. STUTTERD, A. B. — The nature and organization of secondary "method" programmes in teacher education: A comparison between selected institutions in Australia and England
SUBSTANTIAL GRANTS RECEIVED Grants have been received as follows: —
ERDC: A 'Think Tank' Approach to Educational Policy - K. B. Start.
ERDC: Formal and Functional Variation in Urban Children's Language - E. Dines.
ERDC: Pupil Outcome as Criteria in Educational Research - K. B. Start.
ERDC: Small Group Responses to Literature in Undirected Learning Situations — I . V. Hansen.
ERDC: Subject Choice in the Upper Secondary School in Victoria — K. Lee Dow.
ERDC and Victorian Education Department: Establishment and First Three Year of an Open Plan Design School Complex — K. B. Start.