PUBLISHED WORK CHAPTERS OF BOOKS
1. CERINI, M , FINDLAY, J. K , LAWSON, R. A. S., and STAPLES, L. D. - Pregnancy associated antigens in early pregnancy in the ewe, in Immunological influence on human fertility, ed. B. Boettcher, pp. 131 -135.
Academic Press. 1977.
2. C U M M I N G . I . A. and FINDLAY, J. K. - Evolution of ovarian function in sheep and cattle, in Reproduction and Evolution, eds. J. H. Calaby and C. H. Tyndale-Biscoe, pp. 225-233. Aust. Acad. Science, I977.
3. DAY, A. J , SHEERS, M . and KAR, S. - Synthesis and removal of free cholesterol and cholesterol ester by smooth muscle cells in tissue culture, in Atherosclerosis IV, eds. G. Schettler, Y. Goto, Y. Hata and G. Klose, pp.45, 57-62, Springer-Verlag, Berlin and Heidelberg, 1977.
4. LAWSON, R. A. S. and FINDLAY, J. K. — Embryo maternal interactions concerned w-ith recognition of pregnancy, in Reproduction and Evolution, eds. J. H. Calabv and C. H. Tyndale-Biscoe, pp. 349-357. Aust.
Acad. Science, 1977.
5. STAPLES, L. D , LAWSON, R. A. S.. CERINI, M . and FINDLAY. J. K. - The characterization of an anligen(s) associated with pregnancy in the ewe, in Immunological influence on human fertility, ed.
B. Boettcher. pp. 139-152. Academic Press. 1977.
6. WINTOUR. E. M , BROWN. E. H , DENTON, D. A , HARDY. K. J , McDOUGALL, J. G , ROBINSON, P. M . . ROWE, E. J. and WHIPP, G. T. - Cortical steroid production by fetal sheep: Effect of Angiotensin I I , sodium deficiency ACTH in Research on Steroids Vol VII cd. C. Conti, pp. 567-573. Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1977.
1. BELL, C. and LANG, W. J. — Effects of renal dopamine receptor and p-adrcnorcceptor blockade on rises in blood angiotensin following haemmorhage, renal ischaemia and frusemide diuresis in the dog. Clin. Sci.
Molec. Med. 54: 17-23 (1978).
2. BELL. C. and MATALANIS, G. — Dopamine-induced depression of adrenergic nerve - mediated contraction of smooth muscle. Br. J. Pharmac. 61: 291-295 (1977).
3. BELL, C. and MYA, M . K. K. - Is the renal vasodilatation induced by P-adrenoceptor stimulants in thc dog mediated through dopamine receptor? Experientia 33: 638-639 (1977).
4. BELL, C. and MYA, M . K. K. — Release by vasopressin of E-type prostaglandins from rat kidney. Clin. Sci.
Molec. Med. 52: 103-106 (1977).
5. BRETHERTON, K. N , DAY, A. J. and SKINNER, S. L. - Effect on hypertension of the in vitro incorporation of [l-!*C]-oleate into phospholipid and cholesterol ester in the aortac of normal-fed and cholesterol fed rabbits. Klinische Wochenschrift. 53: 283-288 (1977).
6. BRETHERTON, K. N , DAY. A. J. and SKINNER, S. L. - Hypertension accelerated atherogenesis in cholesterol-fed rabbits. Atherosclerosis. 27: 79-87 (1977).
7. CHAMLEY, W. A.. FINDLAY, J. K. and N A I R N , M. E. - The effect of testosterone and an anti- oestrogen on hypertrophy of bulbourethral glands of wethers grazing oestrogenic pastures. Aust. Vet. J. 53:
8. DARIAN-SMITH, I . — Peripheral neural mechanisms of thermal sensibility. Proc. Aust. Phvsiol e?
Pharmacol. Soc. 8: 17-27 (1977).
9. DARIAN-SMITH. I . . JOHNSON, K. O. - Temperature sense in the primate. Br. Med. Bull. 33: 143-148 (1977).
10. DARIAN-SMITH. 1. and JOHNSON. K. O. - Thermal sensibility and thermoreceptors. J. Invest.
Dermatology. 69: 146-153 (1977).
11. DAY, A. J. and SHEERS, M . — Synthesis and removal of different cholesterol esters by aortic smooth muscle cells in culture. Atherosclerosis. 26: 483-492 (1977).
12. DAY. A. J.. SHEERS. M , KAR, S. and M A R T I N , G. - Turnover of !:P-labellcd phospholipids by rabbit aortic smooth muscle cells in culture. .-Irterv. 3: 84-97 (1977).
13. DENIAN. J. M , HAMMOND-LeGUYADER, C . FEGER. .1. and McKENZIE. .1. S. - Bilateral projection of nigro-collicular neurones: an electrophysiological analysis in thc rat. Neuroscience Letters 5:45- 50 (1977).
14. DENIAN, J. M . . HAMMOND-LeGUYADER, C , FEGER. J. and McKENZIE. J. S. - Excitation of neurones in Corpus huysii by stimulation of putamen or caudate nucleus in the conscious monkey. Proc. Aust.
Phvsiol <v Pharmacol. Soc. S: IS4P (1977).
15. DUMOVIC, P., TRETHEWIE. E. R., BURROWS. G. D. - The Effect of tricyclic antidepressant drugs on the isolated guinea pig heart. Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Phvsiology 4: 421 (1977).
16. FINDLAY. J. K. and C U M M I N G . L A . - Thc effect of unilateral ovariectomy on plasma gonadotrophin levels, eslrus and ovulation rate in sheep. Biol. Reprod. 17: 178-183 (1977).
17. HOOLEY, R. D , CAMPBELL, J. J. and FINDLAY, J. K. - The effect of 2-br-a-ergocryptine (CR154) on lactation in the ewe. Proc. Endocrine Soc. Aust. 10: 14 (1977).
18. HOOLEY. R. D.. WILLIAMS, D. M , FINDLAY, J. K. and SCOTT. L. G. - Thc effect of various steroids on corpus luteum function. Contraception 15: 53-64 (1977).
19. HORSCH, A.. HUDSON, K. and DAY, A. J. - Uptake and metabolism o f ' l l - f a l t y acid labelled lecithin bv normal and atheroslcrotic intima in vivo and in vitro. Atherosclerosis. 26: 493-504 (1977).
20. HUDSON. K.. DAY. A. J. and HORSCH, A. K. - Removal of fatty acid labelled cholesterol ester, phospholipid and triglyceride from atherosclerotic rabbit aorta in vitro. Atherosclerosis. 28: 425-434 (1977).
21. JOYNSON, K. O. - Peripheral mechanisms of tactile sensibility: Vibratory intensity. Proc. Aust Phvsiol. &
Pharmacol. Soc. 8: 29-35 (1977).
22. MARSHALL, L , TRETHEWIE, E R.. CURTIN, C. - Chemical radiculities: A chemical, physiological
23. McKENZIE, J. S. and BENDRUPS, A. — Inhibition des reponses somatiques unitaires du thalamus non- specifique par stimulation de I'hippocampe et de l'aire entorlinale: effets de la section du fornix. J. de Physiologie (Paris) 73: 49A (1977).
24. O'SHEA, J. D.. NIGHTINGALE, M. G. and CHAMLEY, W. A. - Changes in small blood vessels during cyclical luteal regression in sheep. Biol. Reprod. 17: 162-177 (1977).
25. REDGRAVE, T. G - Catabolism of chylomicron triacvlglycerol and choleslervl ester in genetically obese rats. J. Lipid Research. 18: 604-612 (1977).
26. REDGRAVE, T. G. and MARTIN, G. — Effects of chronic ethanol consumption on the catabolism of chylomicron triacvlglycerol and cholesteryl ester in the rat. Atherosclerosis 28: 69-80 (1977).
27. REDGRAVE, T. G. and SN1BSON, D. A. - Clearance of chylomicron triacylglycerol and cholesteryl ester from the plasma of slreptozotocin-induced diabetic and hypercholesterolemic hypothyroid rats. Metabolism 26: 493-503 (1977).
28. REDGRAVE, T. G. and VAKAKIS, N. - Hepatic vitamin A fat-storage cells and the metabolism of chylomicron cholesterol. Aust. J. Exp. Biol. Med. Sci. 54: 519-525 (1976).
29. SHAMGAR, F. A. and COLLINS, F. D. - Pool sizes and metabolism of CDP choline and CDP ethanolamine in skeletal muscle. Biochim. Biophvs. Res. Commun. 76: 550-558 (1977).
30. SHAMGAR, F. A. and COLLINS, F. D. - Incorporation of 2-!H-elhanolamine into rat muscle phosphoglyceridcs. Anil. J. Exp. Biol. Med. Sci. 54: 371-378 (1977).
31. TRETHEWIE, E. R. - Barlow's Syndrome - HIS'S E.C.G. Medical Journal of Australia I : 640-641 (1977).
32. TRETHEWIE, E. R. - Constancy ofthe H-V interval and contour in lead A: surface HIS'S bundle E.C.G.
Medical Journal of Australia. 2: 230-231 (1977).
33. TRETHEWIE, E. R. — The effect of zinc on gastric acid secretion. Australian Science and Technology. 15.
34. TRETHEWIE, E. R. - Recurrence after Vagotomy. Medical Journal of Australia.3 (1977).
T H E S I S P A S S E D F O R H I G H E R D E G R E E Doctor of Philosophy
KEOGH. E. J. — Regulation of Testicular Function
T H E S E S IN P R O G R E S S PhD Theses in Progress A. P. BENDRUPS - Functions of the caudate nucleus
R. S. CARSON — The endocrine control of follicular maturation A. F. FREEMAN — Transduction mechanisms of tactile mechanoreceptors R. D. HOOLEY — Endocrine control of lactation in the ewe
K. HUDSON — The effect of hormones on atherosclerosis in the rabbit H. A. JONAS — Control of secretion of FSH and GnRH in the ewe
J. R. PHILLIPS — Perception of stationary tactile panerns- neural and psychophysical mechanisms D. K. ROGERS — Hippocampus and caudate nucleus: Influences on Medial thalamus
R. D. TELFORD — Studies in human power and capacity
M.Sc Theses in Progress
A. BROWN — The influence ofthe embryo on the production and release of prostaglandin F; by the ovine uterus E. J. BROWN — Adrenocortical steroids in the ovine foetus
I. DAVIDSON — Neural mechanisms of texture perception
I . G I L L A M — Tachyphylaxis of exercise induced asthma (Jointly supervised by Dept. Thoracic Med. Royal Childrens Hospilal)
G. LAMB — Neural patterns evoked by moving patterns on the skin N. VAKAKIS - Uptake of remnants by isolated hepatocytes
SUBSTANTIAL GRANTS RECEIVED Grants have been received as follows: —
Australian Equine Research Fund: Reproductive endocrine studies in the mare.
Australian Kidney Fund: Morphological and micropuncture study of glomerular membrane permeability in experimental amnionucleoside nephrosis.
Australian Meat Industry Research Committee: The regulation of follicular development in the ovary ofthe ewe.
Australian Pig Industry Research Committee: Reproduction in Pigs: Development of an early immunological pregnancy test in sows.
Australian Research Grants Committee: The hormonal mechanisms in the recognition of pregnancy in the sheep.
Australian Wool Research Trust Fund.
(1) Physiology of Circulating Hormones in the Ewe.
(2) Physiology and Pathology of Clover Disease (3) Endocrine Control of Lactation in the Ewe.
Ford Foundation: Hypothalamic mechanisms and gonadotrophins.
National Health & Medical Research Council:
(1) Neural determinants of somatic sensation in the primate (2) Physiology of renin angiotensin
(3) Relation between intrarenal control of filtration rale and body fluid homeostasis (4) Conversion of essential fatty acids to prostaglandins in thc arterial wall (5) Formation and metabolism of chylomicron remnant particles.
National Heart Foundation of Australia: Peripheral autonomic control of thc cardiovascular system.