1. BASE, G. D. and MURRAY, M. H . — Control of Shrinkage Cracking in Reinforced Concrete. Conf. of the Australian Fracture Group. Melbourne, Oct. (1977).
2. BASSETT, R. C. - Transport and Urban Structure for New Cities, l.E.Aust. National Transportation Conference, Orange, October 1977.
3. BROWN, H P. - Attiludinal Measures in Models of Mode Choice, Australian Transport Research Forum, Melbourne, May 1977.
4. FARRAN, I . G„ TURNER, A. K. and MULLANEY, P. D. - Management of Piggery Effluent in Victoria. Agricultural Engineering. Aust. 6 No. 2 (1977).
5. GRAZE, H. R., SCHUBERT, J. and FORREST. J. A. - Field Data Analysis of a Large Air Chamber Installation. Sixth Australasian Hydraulics and Fluid Mechanics Conference. Adelaide, Vol. 5, pp. 556, August 1977.
6. HARITOS, N . — Modelling the Dynamic Response of Simple Structures to Stochastic Inputs via a Fast Fourier Transform Algorithm. Sixth Australasian Conference on the Mechanics of Structures and Materials.
University of Canterbury, Christchurch, N.Z., August (1977).
7. MACKENZIE, A. J. and BURROW, R. P. - The Structures ofthe Australian Wool Industry by Size and Flock. Wool Technology and Sheep Breeding. Vol. xxv, No. 3, pp. 7-13 (1977).
CIVIL ENGINEERING 85 8. MORGAN, P. R. and COGAN, K, - Problems in the Modification and Analysis of Space Trusses, Sixth
Australasian Conference on the Mechanics of Structures and Materials. University of Canterbury, Christchurch, N.Z., August (1977).
9. MORGAN, P. R. and SCHMIDT, L. C. - Improving the Structural Behaviour of Flat Double Layer Space Trusses by Simple Modification, Civ. Engg. Trans.. l.E.Aust. Vol. CEI9, No. 1, pp. 75-83 (1977).
10. MORGAN, P. R. and SHAW, D. W. - The Reliable Use of Precedence Diagram Lag Factors, Gen. Engg.
Trans. l.E.Aust. Vol. GEI (1977).
11. SCHMIDT, L. C , MORGAN, P. R. and COULTHARD, B. R. - The influence of Eccentricity and Continuity on the Inelastic Behaviour of a Space Truss. Sixth Australasian Conference on the Mechanics of Structures and Materials. University of Canterbury, Christchurch, N.Z., Aug. (1977).
12. SCHMIDT, L. C , MORGAN, P. R. and STEVENS, L. K. - Effects of Imperfections on Space Frame Stiffness, Journal of Structural Division, >1SC£, Vol. 103, STI, pp. 197-210, Jan. (1977).
13. SHARP, B. B. - A Simple Model for Water Column Rupture, Proc. l l t h Congress of Int. Assoc. for Hyd.
Res. Baden Baden, Vol. 5, pp. 155, Aug. (1977).
14. SHARP, B. B. and HARITOS, N . - Flow Direction and Magnitude, A Suspension Wire Application, Sixth Australasian Hydraulics and Fluid Mechanics Conference. Adelaide, pp. 608, Dec. (1977).
15. STEVENS, L. K. - Review of Limit State Design Effects. Conf. on Limit State Design. Assoc. Consult.
Struct. Eng. May (1977).
16. VIRDI, K. S. - A New Technique for Moment-Thrust-Curvature Calculations for Columns in Biaxial Bending. Sixth Australasian Conference on the Mechanics of Structures and Materials. University of Canterbury, Christchurch, N.Z. Aug. (1977).
17. V1TELLESCHI, S. and SCHMIDT, L. C. - Damping in Fiction - Grip Bolted Joints. Journal of Structural Division. ASCE, Vol. 103, ST7, July (1977).
18. WESCOTT, R. J. — Nonlinear Static Response of Clamped Circular Arches. Sixth Australasian Conference on the Mechanics of Structures and Materials, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, N.Z., Aug. (1977).
T H E S E S P A S S E D F O R H I G H E R D E G R E E S Master of Engineering Science 1. CLIFT, T. R. - 77ie Hydraulics of Bay Irrigation - A Field Study 2. JOYCE, P. F. - The Choice of Access Mode to a Rail Interchange 3. KENT, M. J. - Optimal Location of Modal Interchanges
4. LONGLEY, T. S. - Determination of Recharge in a Combined Aquifer Using Numerical Methods 5. MARTIN, T. C. - Behaviour of a Flexible Wall Subjected to Incremental Excavation
6. McMENAMIN, D. A. — Traffic Restraint Through Congestion Pricing 7. PEDLAR, I . V. - The Geotechnical Properties of Sanitary Landfills
8. SINGLETON. D. J. - The Effect of Fare Increases on the Use of Public Transport in Melbourne 9. SMITH, R. A. — The Evaluation of Small Scale Bus Improvements
10. TURNBULL, D. A. - A Self Locking Joint for Steel Structures
11. Wl LSDON, J. - Regional Groundwater Flow Modelling by the Finite Element Method with Application to the Murray Valley Irrigation Area of Victoria
T H E S E S I N P R O G R E S S PhD Theses in Progress
N. R. BACZYNSKl — Application of Physical Modelling Techniques to the Assessment of Ground Stability Around Mine Openings
W. E. BAMFORD - Some Geomechanical Studies for Tunnelling Projects
R. C. BASSETT — A Methodology for Generating Transport/Land use Structures for New Urban Areas L. J. BREN — Numeric Description of Some Hydrologic Processes on a Smalt Forested Catchment H. P. BROWN - Attitudes in Behavioural Modelling - a Study in Modal Choice
I. J. CHANDLER — Transfer of Preslress in Pretensioned Prestressed Concrete A. J. GABRIC — Investigation of Buoyant Plume Distribution
S. GOLDSTEIN — An Investigation in Moment Distribution of Non Prismatic Members and its Application lo Flat Slab Analysis
A. HANAOR - An Aspect of Space Truss Behaviour
N. HARITOS — Wave Spectra and Energy Transfer to Dynamic Structural Response P. H. JOWETT - Effect of Ultrasonic Waves on Soil and Seeds
M. KENT - 77ie Measurement of Public Transport Accessibility and its Effect on Car Ownership M. MURRAY - The Control of Thermal and Shrinkage Cracking in Reinforced Concrete J. P. PATHAK — Dewatering of Crops by Thermal and Mechanical Treatment T. A. PATTON — Transport and Residential Location in Western Cities I. D. RICHARDS - An Optimization of Rural Rail Goods Movement G. SCOTT — Investigation of Imperfections in Stiffened Steel Plate Structures J. STYLES — Foundation Performance in Deep Sea Sediments
J. D. THOMAS — Temperature Measurement in Bridge Decks A. G. THOMPSON - Slab Foundations on Clay Subgrade C. B. UBER — Road Traffic Aspects of Gap and Lag Acceptance R. J. VASS — Simulation of Water Quality in a River System
J. WASHUSEN — Investigation into Stress Strain Time Behaviour in Rocks R.J. WESCOTT - Lateral Stability of Trusses
B. J. WILLIAMS - A Systems Study Involving the Water Environment of Westernport Bay
M.EngSc Theses in Progess N. AGELIDIS - Ortholropic Steel Plate in Multi Storey Buildings A. ALTMANN — Urban Hydrology and Sediment Transport J. APELBAUM — Ground Traffic Generation at Airports J. ATTARD - Hillerborgs Strip Method of Design of R. C. Slabs V. BECK — Repealed Uplift and Shear Loading on Steel Roofing A. BENNETT - Response of Structures to Impact Loading A. J. BETHUNE - Behaviour of Very Soft Silts and Clays I. BOLAND — Shear Friction Analogy (Concrete) G. COOK - Brittle Type Instability of HSFGB Joints B. COULTHARD — Design of Space Frameworks B. CRAWFORD - Fogging for Frost Prevention P. M. DIGHT - Pipeline Flotation
M. J. DOWN — Pneumatic Grain Cleaning in Combine Harvesters J. R. DUNNE — The Evaluation of Rural Highway Locations S. A. FACHRI - Alternative Industrial Roof Structure
L. FAIRHURST - Moment Rotation Characteristics of R.C. Beams H. A. FRIEND - Behaviour of Rock Socketed Piles
L. GOTTLIEB - Vibration Cutting of Coal
W. R. GRAYSON — Non Linear Analysis of Structural Systems of Steel and Concrete B. M. GREGG — Space Structures
M. E. LANGDON - Wind Effects on Structures
K. K. LO — Fatigue Behaviour of Shear Connectors in a Steel and Concrete Composite Structure B. P. McNAMEE — Dynamic Response of Marine Structures
S. J. MILLS — Dissolved Oxygen in the LaTrobe River
J. MOODY — The Effect of Elastomeric Bridge Bearings on Bridge Dynamics A. O'MEAGHER — Behaviour of Space Trusses in the Inelastic Range
M. D. O'ROURKE — An Analysis of the Operating Costs of the Melbourne Suburban Railway Network M. PATRICK - Large Scale Nonlinear Finite Element Analysts
J. P. PIPER - Vibration of Tension Piles
J. A. PORTER - Trip Generation Characteristics of Parks and Recreation Facilities in Urban Areas W. L. PUMP — In situ strength of a residual fissured clay
P. R. SEAMER — The Temporal Stability of Trip Generation Relationships D. SHEEHAN — Watershed Modelling with Particular Attention to Sediment D. M. SMITH — Selection of Flexible Pavement Materials
R. M. STAMPBACH - Effects of Wind on Structures C. K. TANG — Properties of Prepacked Concrete J. A. TAYLOR — Design of Joints in Timber Structures J. L. VANDERMOLEN — Corrosion of Reinforcement in Concrete
L. W. WALKER - Quantity and Quality of Stormwater Runoff from a Cattle Feedlol K. WATTERS - Progressive Failure in Stiffened Plate Structures
P. J. WATTS — Evapotranspiration from an Agricultural Catchment N. B. WELLINGTON - Watershed Hydrology and Sediment Transport
P. D. WHITE — Evaluation ofa Repealed Loading Triaxial Machine as an Indicator of Base Course Material Performance
Y. S. WOO — Fatigue Behaviour of Composite Construction of Concrete and Stiffened Plate P. J. YTTRUP - Consolidation Characteristics of Hydraulic Fill
C. ZOPPOU — Computer Simulation of Transport and Sedimentation Processes Overland and in Rivers.
M.AgrSc Theses in Progress
N. CHANMEESR1 - The Role of Stem Diameter for Shallow Flow of Water through Vegetation E. M. P. B. EKANAYAKE - Simple Method of Estimating Potential Evaporation
M. J. WILLIAMSON - Estimation of a Degree of Cell Rupture in Lucerne Leaves Macerated by Extrusion M.AppISc Theses in Progress
R. CRAIGIE - Groundwater Hydrology
J. W. GRAVES - The Potential Market for Limited Range Automobiles A. E. PARISH — Simulation of Traffic Flows at a T-intersection
SUBSTANTIAL GRANTS RECEIVED Grants have been received as follows: —
Australian Engineering and Building Industries Research Association Limited: Thermal and Shrinkage Cracking in Reinforced Concrete.
Australian Research Grants Committee: Rational Behaviour of Air Chambers.
Australian Welding Research Association: Fatigue Behaviour of Welded Stud Connectors.
Australian Wool Corporation: Musheep Program on Wool Harvesting.
Australian Water Resources Council: Australian Water Resources (Cattle Feedlots).
Australian Water Resources Council: Australian Water Resources (Soil Moisture).
Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan: Dewatering of Forage by Thermal and Mechanical Means.
Wheat Industry Research Council: Pneumatic Grain Cleaning Device for a Wheat Header Harvester.
Wheat Industry Research Council: Systems Analysis of Engineering Operations in Wheat Production.