Research Scholars ANDREW BURBIDGE PETER FRANCIS CUTTANCE Research Assistants LOUISE BARTON
JENNIFER CLARE BUCHANAN PAMELA ISOBEL BURGESS CATHERINE JANE CURTIS SUSAN MARY DONATH W I L L I A M FRANCIS FOSTER RODERICK NICHOLLS HARRIS
• SUSAN MARIE HOLMES
CHRISTINA EUGENIE JUCHNIEWICZ JAMES W I L L I A M LANG
COSIMA HILARY McPHEE DEBORAH JANE N I A L L JUDITH ANNE O'NEILL PETER PAUL STRICKER CLAIRE CHRISTINE THOMAS RICHARD JOHN CAMPBELL WALLIS
RESEARCH TOPICS IN PROGRESS
A. CURRENT ECONOMIC CONDITIONS AND SHORT-TERM FORECASTS
1. Analysis of economic conditions in Australia - Barton, Derody.
2. Short-term forecasts of economic developments — McDonald.
3. Publication of the Australian Economic Review — Sheehan, et al.
4. Surveys of Consumers attitudes and intentions — McDonnell (with the Roy Morgan Research Centre).
5. Analysis of Consumers attitudes and the saving ratio - Defris.
6. Youth unemployment — Sheehan, Strieker.
B. ECONOMETRIC FORECASTING PROJECT
1. A medium-term econometric model of the Australian economy — Brain.
2. Analysis of industrial activity in Australia — Gray.
3. A model of supply and demand for energy in Australia — Schuyers.
4. A mode] of thc Australian financial sector — Burgess.
5. Econometric modelling of the operations of Telecom Australia — Donath.
6. Economic activity in the Australian States — Lang.
7. Analysis of demographic factors underlying the Australian economy — Brain, Smith, Schuyers.
8. An econometric model of Australian agriculture — Smith.
9. Analysis of selected international economies as they effect Australia — Niall.
10. Preparation of annual data bank for econometric modelling - McPhee, Curtis.
INSTITUTE OF APPLIED ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL RESEARCH 67
C . I N D U S T R I A L A N D F I N A N C I A L S T U D I E S 1. The Optimal Allocation of North West Shelf Natural Gas Reserve - Dixon.
2. Factors Contributing to Structural Change in the Australian Economy - Dixon.
3. A Study of the mining industry - McDonald.
4. Influence of import prices on Australian cost structures — Sheehan, Niall.
5. Analysis of costs of production in Australian agriculture — Smith. Wallis.
D. SOCIAL EXPENDITURE AND SOCIAL POLICY 1. A Study of social expenditure patterns in Australia — Scotton, Davey, Ferber, Juchnicwicz.
2. Study of social indicators — Owens.
3. Analysis of Youth 2007 Questionnaires on Local Government - Thomas.
4. Study of welfare operations of seven municipalities - O'Neill.
5. Funding local government welfare operations - Lewis.
6. Responsibilities of local government in welfare operations - Henderson.
7. Assessment of the Action and Resource Centre (jointly with the Brotherhood of St. Laurence) — Brooke.
8. Unemployment and social policy — Strieker.
E. ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL STATISTICS 1. Institute's Econometric Data Bank - Buchanan.
2. A Survey of Socio-Economic Data Systems in Australia — Ironmonger.
3. Computer programming for econometric modelling — Harris.
4. Computer programming for analysis of economic conditions — Foster.
PUBLISHED WORK BOOKS
1. McCAUGHEY, .1.. FERBER. H. L., SHAVER, S. and others - Who Cares? Family Problems, Community Links and Helping Services. The Macmillan Company of Australia for Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research. March 1977. Sun Books - Reprinted May 1977.
2. HENDERSON, R. F. - (Editor) Youth Unemployment (Second Academy Symposium, November 1977).
Academy of thc Social Sciences in Australia, Canberra, December 1977.
CHAPTERS OF BOOKS
3. BRAIN. P. J. — Evaluation of the Medium Term "Impact Model" in Protection in Perspective, an Australian Industries Development Association Studv of Leading Issues in the Australian Tariff System, AIDA. Canberra. December 1977.
4. SCOTTON, R. B. with DEEBLE. J. S. - Health Services and the Medical Profession, in K. A. Tucker, ed.
Economics and the Australian Service Sector. Croom Helm, London, 1977.
5. SHEEHAN. P. J. — Economic Aspects of Youth Unemployment, in R. F. Henderson, ed. Youth Unemployment. Academy ofthe Social Sciences in Australia, Canberra. December 1977.
6. STRICKER, P. P. — Statistical Appendix on Youth Unemployment, in R. F. Henderson, cd. Youth Unemployment. Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia, Canberra, December 1977.
7. SHEEHAN, P. J., Ed.. MeDONALD. DAINA, Assoc. Ed. and BUCHANAN, JENNY, Asst. Ed. - Australian Economic Review, Nos. 37, 38, 39 and 40, published quarterly by the Institute of Applied
Economic and Social Research.
8. IRONMONGER, D. S. — Socio-Economic Dala Systems in Australia: A Survey for the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation, Paris, May 1977.
9. THOMAS, CLAIRE - Local Government Study Questionnaire Results. "Youth 2007 - Local Government" Project. Youth Council of Victoria, June 1977.
ARTICLES AND PAPERS
10. BRAIN. P. J. - The Institute Atulti-Purpose Model: An Outline — Australian Economic Review, 3rd Quarter 1977.
11. BRAIN, P. J. and GRAY, B. S. — The Australian Manufacturing Sector and ihe Economy l°Q0. Paper presented at Conference on Trade, Growth and Structural Change in an Open Economy, Salamander Bay,
12. BURBIDGE, A. — Housing and Unemployment. Eklasis. Journal of the Centre f o r Urban Research and Action No. 17. May 1977.
13. DEFRIS, L. V. - "Australian Consumer Expectations, Evaluation, Uncertainty and the Saving Ratio" - Australian Economic Review, Ist Quarter 1977.
14. DEFRIS, L. V. and BOEHM, E. A. — Recurring Periods of Plateau Slumps and Sluggish Recoveries in the Australian Economy: 1950 to 1976 - Australia Economic Review, Ist Quarter 1977.
15. DIXON, G. L. R., FERGUSON. B. J. and McPHERSON, D. - Transcontinental Pipeline or Natural Gas Exports? A Quanlitive Analysis — Paper presented to the sixth Conference of Economists, Hobart. May 1977.
16. FERBER, H. L. - Citizens' Advice Bureaux, Victorian Year Book 1977. pp. 852-4.
17. HENDERSON, RONALD F. - Criteria for Welfare: Needs or Earnings? Australian Journal of Social Issues. Volume 12, Number 2, May 1977.
18. HENDERSON, RONALD F. - Why Have a Guaranteed Minimum Income Scheme? Poverty in Australia.
W.E.A. o f NSW. May 1977.
19. HENDERSON, RONALD, F. - The Role of Local Government and Voluntary Agencies in Welfare.
Poverty in Australia. W.E.A. of NSW. May 1977.
20. HENDERSON, RONALD F. and LEWIS, R. B. - Changing Responsibilities of Local Government.
Australian Economic Review, 3rd Quarter 1977.
21. HENDERSON, RONALD F. - Poverty in Australia. "Poverty", Child Poverty Action Group, London.
No. 37, August 1977.
22. IRONMONGER, D. S. - A Survey of the Primary Socio-Economic Dala Structure of Australia, International Social Science Journal. 29. 4, December 1977.
23. LEWIS, R. B. — Changing Responsibilities in Rural Local Government, paper presented at the workshop on Local Government, Community Groups and Social Welfare, Kellogg Rural Adjustment Unit, University of New England, Armadale, November 1977.
24. LEWIS, R. B. — Changing Responsibilities of Local Government with R. F. Henderson (q.v.) Australian Economic Review, 3rd Quarter 1977.
25. MeDONALD, DAINA, SHEEHAN, P. J. and DIXON, G. R. L. - Mining Investment in Australia 1977- 1980, Australian Economic Review, 2nd Quarter 1977.
26. McDONNELL, J. S. and DEFRIS, L. V. - The Informational Content of Australian Consumer Surveys and Their Explanatory and Forecasting Value. Paper presented at the Sixth Conference of Economists, Hobart, May 1977.
27. McDONNELL, J. S. and DEFRIS, L. V. - Recent Developments in the Australian Field of Psychological Economics. Paper presented at the 48th ANZAAS Congress, Melbourne, August 1977.
28. O'NEILL, JUDITH A. - "Human needs and patterns of segregation" in 2001: Urban Space for Life and Work. Introductory report to the International Conference of thc Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat and UNESCO, Paris, November 1977.
29. O'NEILL, JUDITH A. - School and work: equality of outcomes. Paper given at thc annual conference of Australian Council of Slate School Organizations, Darwin, September 1977.
30. O'NEILL, JUDITH A. - "Poverty and Education". Paper given at the National Conference on Educational Disadvantage, Schools Can Make a Difference. Latrobe University, August 1977.
31. OWENS, HELEN — The OECD Social Indicator Development Programme — The Australian Experience.
Paper presented to a conference on Social Indicators in Australia: Health and Housing at the Research School of Social Sciences, A N U , Canberra, 8-9 September 1977.
32. SCOTTON, R. B. - "Medibank 1976", Australian Economic Review, Ist Quarter 1977, pp. 23-35.
33. SCOTTON, R. B. - "Health Costs and Health Policy", Australian Quarterly. Vol. 49, No. 2, June 1977, pp. 5-16.
34. SCOTTON, R. B. - Public Expenditures and Social Policy. Paper delivered to the 48th Congress of the Australian and New Zealand Association for thc Advancement of Science. Melbourne, August 1977.
35. SCOTTON, R. B. with FEEHAN, H. V. and SINGH, FATTEH - Expenditure on Drugs. Medicines, Therapeutic Goods and Appliances in Victoria: Summary Report 1977. Victorian College of Pharmacy, 1977.
36. SHEEHAN, P. J. and DERODY, B. - A Forecasting Model of the Money Supply Process. Paper presented at the Sixth Conference of Economists, Hobart, May 1977.
37. SMITH, A. W. and SMITH, RHONDA L. - "A Model of the Australian Farm Sector: A Progress Report", Economic Record, Vol. 52, No. 140, December 1976, pp. 462-482.
38. SMITH, A. W., DOBES, L. and SMITH. RHONDA, L. - Inlersectoral Linkages Between the Rural Sector and the Rest of the Australian Economy, paper presented lo thc 21 si Annual Conference of the Australian Agricultural Economics Society. Brisbane. Februarv 1977.
39. SMITH, A. W. and SMITH, RHONDA L. - "Slock Variations and Cereal Supply Models for thc United Kingdom", Journal o f Agricultural Economics. Vol. 28, No. 2, May 1977.
T H E S E S IN P R O G R E S S PhD Theses in Progress A. BURBIDGE - Government Policies for the Work-force Poor
P. CUTTANCE — Educational Achievement at the Secondary School Level E. HAYWOOD - Economic Fluctuations: Australia and its States. 1950-1972 G. P. SCHUYERS - An Economic Analysis of Energy Resources in Australia P. P. STRICKER - Operation of the Australian Labour Market
M.Com Thesis in Progress D. MeDONALD - Measurement of Potential Output in Australia
INSTITUTE OF APPLIED ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL RESEARCH 69 SUBSTANTIAL GRANTS RECEIVED
Grams have been received as follows: —
ARGC: Analysis of Industry Input/Output Tables.
ARGC: Analysis of Social Expenditures in Australia.
ARGC: A Study ofthe Influence of Imports on Domestic Prices.
Australian Wool Corporation: Preparation and Analysis of Farm Cost Data.
Felton Bequests: Analysis of Social Expenditures in Australia.
Social Welfare Department of Victoria: A Study of Local Government Welfare Activities.
Utah Foundation: Study of Social Expenditure Patterns in Australia.
Youth Council of Victoria: Analysis of Local Government Questionnaires for "Youth 2007" Project.
Details of subscribers lo the Consumer Surveys and Econometric Forecasting Projects will bc found in the Annual Report of ihe Institute for 1977.