Chairman of department: Mr S. G. Bervoets Readers SIMON GERRIT BERVOETS
BRIAN THOMAS MURPHY
Senior Lecturer FRANCIS JOSEPH LEAHY Lecturers LEO JAMES RIVETT
ROBERT EDWARD EDEN
Graduate Research Assistant DAVID BRUCE McMORRAN
RESEARCH TOPICS IN PROGRESS 1. Adjustment of survey networks.
2. Application of photogrammetry to architectural and archaeological recording.
3. Engineering application of terrestrial photogrammetry.
4. Title boundaries in Victoria.
P U B L I S H E D W O R K R E P O R T
I. RIVETT, L. J. - The Application of Photogrammetry to the Recording of Monuments and Sites in Australia.
Bulletin No. 42 Department of Surveying.
2. COOPER, M . A. R. and LEAHY, J. F. - Phased Adjustment of Engineering Control Surveys. X V International Congress o f Surveyors. Stockholm 1977.
3. LEAHY, F. J. - Bowdilch Revisited. The Australian Surveyor. December 1977. Vol. 28 No. 8.
4. RIVETT, L. J. — Photogrammetry Applied lo Urban Conservation Surveys. Proceedings 48th ANZAAS Congress Section 4: Architecture and Planning, Melbourne 1977.
5. RIVETT, L. J. — Photogrammetry — Its Potential Application to Problems in Australian Archaeology.
Proceedings I . C . C M . Workshop on Conservation of Rock Art. Penh 1977.
T H E S E S IN P R O G R E S S M.SurvSc
C. J. EGAN — .Survey Coordination at Daylesford
A. R. HOFF - Peripheral Critique on Satellite Doppler Control
P. T. LOUGHREY — Volume Determination by Aerial and Terrestrial Photogrammetry M. R. SHORTIS — Computer Aided Orientations uf Terrestrial Models
Chairman of department: Professor S. D. Clark Professor of Commercial Law HAROLD ARTHUR JOHN FORD
Hearn Professor of Law COLIN HOWARD
Harrison Moore Professor of Law SANDFORD DELBR1DGE CLARK Kenneth Bailey Professor of Law DAVID JOHN LANHAM
George Paton Professor of Law HAROLD LUNTZ Reader MARY ELIZABETH HISCOCK Senior Lecturers ADRIAN JOHN BRADBROOK
ETHEL RUTH CAMPBELL W I L L I A M BREEN CRE1GHTON BRIAN MICHAEL LAKE CROMMELIN MANFRED PAUL ELLINGHAUS IAN DOUGLAS ELLIOTT IAN JAMES HARDINGHAM MARCIA A N N NEAVE J U L I A N PHILLIPS KEVIN SOL POSE
MARK SAMUEL WEINBERG Lecturers SUSAN LATHROP CAMPBELL
ANTHONY JAMES DUGGAN ROBERT CHARLES EVANS ANNE MAREE LANTERI
FRANCIS KEVIN HEATHCOTE MAHER SUSAN MARY MORGAN
BERNARD MICHAEL O'BRIEN KEVIN PATRICK O'CONNOR RALPH BENJAMIN PLINER STANIFORTH RICKETSON JOSEPH GERARD SANTAMARIA CHERYL A N N SAUNDERS ROSALIE PAM SCHAFFER JAGINDER SINGH
RICHARD ROSS SINCLAIR TRACEY G I L L I A N DOREEN TR1GGS
Temporary Lecturer SUSAN VIRGINIA MACCALLUM Senior Tutors GARY FORRESTER
BETTY ARMSTRONG HAYES Research Fellow JUDITH GAIL BUTCHER
RESEARCH TOPICS IN PROGRESS
1. A submission to the Joint Committee on Foreign Affairs and Defence, sub-committee on Law ofthe Sea and Antarctica,on the development ofthe Third U.N, Conference on the Law ofthe Sea and their impact on Australia's proposed two hundred mile extension of the territorial sea.
2. The legal status of women in employment in the United Kingdom.
3. A textbook on the laws relating to easements and restrictive convenanls in Australia.
4. The concept of an equity as a proprietary interest.
5. The study of the constructive trust.
6. A textbook on administrative law.
7. A comparative analysis of due process and natural justice rules in Australia, England and the United States.
8. Locus standi rules for the prerogative writs of certiorari and prohibition.
9. Legal liability for fire.
10. Aggravated damages in contract law.
11. Recent Australian developments in the law relating to murder.
12. The law and practice relating to the duties of stockbrokers lo accounts for client's funds and securities.
13. The law relating to insolvent companies.
14. The use of the procedures relating to schemes of arrangement to effect takeovers under Part VIB of the Uniform Companies Acts 1961.
15. Consumer protection through tort law.
16. Cluster title legislation and its impact on planning land use.
17. Injurious affection and compensation in land acquisitions.
18. Control of urban air quality through planning law.
19. Legal aspects of child abuse in Australia.
20. The law relating to securities over movables in international trade.
21. The law relating to investment in Malaysia.
22. Legal problems of the development of Asian capita] markets, especially cofinancing and thc Asian dollar market.
23. A commentary on the law of damages for Halshury's Laws of England
24. A book of cases and commentary on the law of torts.
25. A textbook on administrative law.
26. The use of privilege and confidence and the defence of public interest as a general defence in actions for copyright and breach of confidence.
27. A casebook on industrial and intellectual property.
28. Australian mining and petroleum law.
29. Government management of oil and gas resources in Australia.
30. An economic analysis of property rights.
31. A casebook on constitutional law.
32. The economic implications of intensive advertising: the feasibility of legislative controls.
33. Privity of contract and exemption clauses in shipping contracts.
34. A study ofthe 1977 Amendments to the Trade Practices Act 1974 (Cth.).
35. The law of intestate succession in Australia and New Zealand.
36. The consequences of failure to object to inadmissible evidence in criminal cases.
37. Drafting instructions for the amended River Murray Agreement.
38. The legal status and security of tenure of lodgers and long-term occupants of caravan parks.
39. The role of the State Housing Commissions in securing repairs to rented dwellings.
40. A study of the effectiveness of sub-standard housing control legislation.
41. A comparative analysis of rent control legislation in Commonwealth countries.
PUBLISHED WORK BOOKS
1. CROMMELIN, B. M . L. and THOMPSON, A. R. (ed.) - Mineral Leasing as an Instrument of Public Policy, University of British Columbia Press, Vancouver, 1977.
2. FORD. H. A. J., BAXT, R. and SAMUEL, G. J. - An Introduction lo the Securities Industry Acis, Butterworths, Svdncv, 1977.
3. H A R D I N G H A M . f. J., NEAVE. M. A. and FORD, H. A. J. - The Law of Wills, Law Book Company, Sydnev, 1977.
4. HISCOCK. M . E., ALLEN, D. E., ROEBUCK, D. and MASEL, L. - Credit and Security in Australia.
University of Queensland Press, St. Lucia, 1977.
5. WEINBERG. M . S. and WILLIAMS, C. R. - 77if Australian Law o f Theft. Law Book Company, Sydnev, 1977.
CHAPTERS OF BOOKS
1. CLARK. S. D. - Interstate Rivers in Australia, in Interjurisdictional River Basin Administration, pp. 169- 188, Centro de Economia, Legislacion y Administracion del Agua, Mendoza, 1977.
2. CROMMELIN, B. M. L. - Explorations and Adventures with Commonwealth Powers, in Labor and ihe Constitution 1972-1975. ed. G. Evans, pp. 24-66, Heinemann Press, Melbourne, 1977.
3. ELLIOTT, I . D. — Theft — The Law in Victoria, in Howard, Criminal Law. 3rd ed., Law Book Company, Sydney, 1977.
4. HOWARD, C. - Legal and Constitutional Implications, in Republican Australia? ed. G. Dutton, pp. 60- 70. Sun Books, Melbourne, 1977.
5. HOWARD, C. — The Constitution as a Legal Document, in Change the Rules! ed. S. Encel, E. Thompson, pp. 21-42, Penguin Books, Melbourne, 1977.
6. HOWARD, C. and SAUNDERS, C. A. - The Blocking of the Budget and the Dismissal of the Government, in Labor and the Constitution 1972-1975. ed. G.Evans, pp. 251-287, Heinemann Press, Melbourne, 1977.
7. LUNTZ, H. - Law of Torts, in An Annual Survey of Law 1976. ed. R. Baxt, pp. 211-230, Law Book Company, Sydney. 1977.
8. BRADBROOK, A. J. - The Discretionary Powers of the Hong Kong Housing Authority. Hong Komi L J . 7: 209-241 (1973).
9. BRADBROOK, A. .1. - The Role of State Government Agencies in Securing Repairs to Rented Housing.
Melb. Univ. L. Rev. I I : 145-163 (1977).
10. BRADBROOK, A. J. — The Application ofa Principle of Mitigation of Damages to Landlord-Tenant Law.
Syd. L. Rev. 8: 15-30 (1977).
11. BRADBROOK, A. J. - Methods of Improving the Effectivess of Standard Housing Control Legislation in Australia. U. Tas. L. Rev. 5: 166-187 (1977).
12. BRADBROOK, A. J. - Thc Rieht of a Mother to Change her Child's Surname Unilaterally, Ausi. Current Law Digest: 111-117 (1977).
13. BUTCHER, J. G. — Government Regulation of Construction and Operation of Hydrocarbon Pipelines.
Melh. Univ. L. Rev. I I : 246-251 (1977).
14. CREIGHTON, W. B. - The Bullock Report - The Coming of Age of Our Democracy? Brit. J. Law and Society 4: 1-17 (1977).
15. DUGGAN, A. J. - Criminal Sanctions for Misleading Advertising: the Penalty of Fine and Related Matters. Aust. L.J. 50: 625-635 (1977).
LAW 103 16. DUGGAN, A. J. - Fairness in Advertising-, in Pursuit ofthe Hidden Pursuaders. Melh. Univ. L. Rev. I I :
17. DUGGAN, A. J. - The Criminal Liability of Corporations for Contraventions of Part V of the Trade Practices Act. Ausi. Business L. Rev. 5: 221-247 (1977).
18. ELLIOTT, I . D. - Theft and Related Problems — The Position in England, Australia and the United States.
Int. Comp. L.Q.. 110-147 (1977).
19. L A N H A M , D. J. - Killing the Fleeting Offender. Crim. L J . I : 16-24 (1977).
20. L A N H A M , D. J. - Obtaining a Financial Advantage by Deception in Victoria - the Meaning of Financial Advantage. Crim. L J . I : 188-203 (1977).
21. NEAVE. M . A. - Conveyancing under the Ontario Registry Act: An Analysis of the Priority Provisions and Some Suggestions for Reform. Can. B. Rev. 55: 500-548 (1977).
22. RICKETSON, S. - Breach of Confidence: A New Proprietary Interest? Melb. Univ. L. Rev. I I : 223-245 (1977).
23. TRACEY, R. R. S. — Determination of the Validity of the Rules of Organizations under Section 140 of the Conciliation and Arbitration Act. Fed. L. Rev. 8: 57-76 (1977).
T H E S E S P A S S E D F O R H I G H E R D E G R E E S Master of Laws
1. FORREST, J. H. L. — Consumer Redress Mechanisms 2. KARKAR, J. H. - Nationalization in the Conflict of Laws
T H E S E S IN P R O G R E S S LLM Theses in Progress 1. G. 1. K. BROMLEY — Drainage Law in the Melbourne Metropolitan Area
2. J. G. BUTCHER — Government Regulation of the Construction and Operation of Hydrocarbon Pipelines in A ustralia.
3. J. M. GALVIN — Law of Credit Unions in Victoria 4. R. A. LEWITAN - Floating Charges
5. C. R. MeDONALD — The Legal Issues Arising out of the Use of New Energy Sources, in Particular Solar Energy
6. S. M. B. MORGAN - 77ie Nature of the Interest Acquired Under Various Mining Titles
7. W. S. ROBSON — A Review of the Developments ofthe Doctrine of NaturalJustice with Particular Reference to the Area of Education
SUBSTANTIAL GRANT RECEIVED Grant has been received as follows: —