• No results found

The Residential Colleges of the University - Digitised Collections

N/A
N/A
Protected

Academic year: 2023

Share "The Residential Colleges of the University - Digitised Collections"

Copied!
33
0
0

Loading.... (view fulltext now)

Full text

(1)

The Residential Colleges of the University

The establishment of residential colleges was envisaged from the foundation of the University and their affiliation was expressly provided for in the original Act of Incorporation. The Govern- ment set aside sites for the purpose within the area generally reserved for the University. The first of the colleges, Trinity (an Anglican foundation of 1870), was opened in 1872.

The first Warden of Trinity, Alexander Leeper, quickly built up a comprehensive system of college teaching. This was adopted by other colleges on their foundation, and remains a distin- guishing feature of the Melbourne collegiate system. So too, do the large enrolment of non-resident students and the provision of significant college libraries.

The college tutorial system (in which International House also participates) is in general sup- plementary to teaching offered by the University's faculties, and is organized in part on an inter- collegiate basis. Formal links with the University on academic matters are maintained through a Joint Committee of the Academic Board and the Heads of Colleges, and under a Statute of the University (S.2.4.2.), "any teacher in any affiliated college" may be appointed to member- ship of a faculty. Heads of colleges sit in rotation as co-opted members of the University Coun- cil, and play a considerable part in the committee work of the University.

The other three colleges for which sites had been originally reserved were established as follows:

Ormond (Presbyterian foundation, 1870), opened 1881; Queen's (Methodist foundation, 1887), opened 1888; Newman (Roman Catholic foundation, 1916), opened 1918.

A residential hostel for women students was opened by Trinity College in 1886, the first institu- tion of its kind within Australia. Janet Clarke Hall, as it was in due course named, became an independent college in 1961.

University College (private non-denominational foundation, 1936) was opened in 1937 on a site made available by the State Government. From 1937 to 1975 it was known as University Women's College.

St Mary's College, originally a house of residence in Parkville for Catholic women students, obtained full college status in 1965 and moved to a new site made available by Newman College.

St Hilda's College (Methodist-Presbyterian foundation, 1963) opened in 1964 on a site made available by Queen's College.

Whitley College (Baptist foundation) was opened in 1965.

Ridley College, founded in 1910 as a place for the training of Anglican ordinands, and as a hostel for University men, became an affiliated college in 1966.

Graduate House, established by the Graduate Union of the University in 1962 as a postgradu- ate hall of residence, became an affiliated college in 1972.

All Colleges of the University are now open to both men and women students.

865

(2)
(3)

Trinity College

HISTORY

Trinity College occupies that portion of the University Reserve which was granted by the Government of Victoria to the Church of England under the authority of Parliament. The first formal steps towards its establishment were taken in 1853, the College was founded in 1870, the first students were enrolled in 1872, and the College was affiliated with the University in 1876. The principal founder of the College was the Right Reverend Charles Perry, first Bishop of Melbourne, who named the College for Trinity College, Cambridge, of which he had been a Fellow.

Although an Anglican foundation, the College has always freely admitted non-Anglicans to mem- bership and applies no religious test. Parliament expressly confirmed this policy in the Trinity College Act 1927. The College was incorporated by Parliament through the Trinity College Act 1979.

The oldest building of the College is Leeper, opened in 1872 and intended for "the Provost's Lodge"; it now contains the Library and the College offices including those of the Trinity Theo- logical School and the Trinity College Foundation. Its name commemorates the First Warden.

Bishops', the first building designed for student use, was opened in 1878 and named for the first two Bishops of Melbourne, Perry and Moorhouse. Clarke, another residential building con- taining also a Junior Common Room and a Billiard Room, was built in two stages in 1883 and 1887, and named in gratitude to the two principal contributors to a successful appeal, Sir Wil- liam Clarke and his brother Mr. Joseph Clarke. A great benefaction from Mr. John Sutcliffe Horsfall led to the building of the Horsfall Chapel; it was consecrated in 1917 as the chapel of the Holy Trinity. The Dining Hall, originally a simple wooden building, was rebuilt in stone in 1925 and enlarged again in 1955. Behan was opened in 1933 and named for the Second Warden (it was extended in 1963-1964). A Deanery was also built in 1933 and later used as a Warden's Lodge. The First post-war building was a Memorial ("Jeopardy", as it is commonly called), opened as a war memorial in 1958. A new Warden's Lodge was built in 1960. The most recent student building, Cowan (named for the Third Warden), was built in two stages between 1963 and 1965.

Trinity College now accommodates more than 260 resident students and about 25 College Officers and Tutors. Since 1877 it has also enrolled non-resident students, who attend classes in the Col- lege and enjoy other benefits of membership.

In 1883, the College became the first in Australia to offer membership to women students. A women's Hostel was opened in 1886 and the first Janet Clarke Building for women in 1890.

The Hostel, known after 1921 as Janet Clarke Hall, was extended in 1927, 1930 and 1956. In 1961 arrangements were completed for the affiliation of Janet Clarke Hall as an independent College of the University and it thereafter ceased to be part of Trinity College. Trinity College has admitted both men and women students to resident and non-resident membership since 1974.

The remarkable tutorial system of the Melbourne Colleges was pioneered in Trinity College.

The first Resident Tutor was appointed in 1876 (J. Winthrop Hackett) and the first endowment for a Lectureship was received in 1893.

The College Library, begun in the earliest days of the College and now known as the Leeper Library, aims to provide a useful working collection for undergraduates in the principal fields of undergraduate study represented in the College. It also contains primary research collections in Theology and Australiana. The Mollison Library of the Diocese of Melbourne is separately housed in Leeper; this collection is mainly theological.

The College has a Theological School, established in 1877 largely as a result of the efforts of the Right Reverend James Moorhouse, second Bishop of Melbourne. Although concerned to train candidates for the Anglican priesthood, its classes are open to any suitably qualified stu- dent. Since 1969 it has formed part of the ecumenical United Faculty of Theology.

The Centenary volume. Perspective of a Century, gives full details of developments and may be purchased from the Librarian.

867

(4)

TRINITY COLLEGE

The names of successive Principals and Wardens of Trinity College will be found elsewhere in this Calendar.

The following information is correct at the time of going to press but interested persons should consult the College office for more recent information.

PRESIDENT OF THE COUNCIL

The Anglican Archbishop of Melbourne

WARDEN

The Reverend E. L. Burge, BA Q'ld MA Oxf. & Prim. PhD Princ.

DEAN

Mrs. L. K. Hancock, BA DipEd MEd Qld. LTCL Lond.

DIRECTOR OF THEOLOGICAL SCHOOL

The Reverend R. W. A. McKinney, BA BD DPhil Oxf.

SUB-DEAN

T. J. Egan, BA

FELLOWS

Sir (Edward) John Bunting, KBE BA

Emeritus Professor Sir Joseph Terence Burke, KBE MA Hon. DLitt Monash FAHA Sir Roderick Howard Carnegie, BSc MA Oxf. MBA Harv.

Charles Manning Hope Clark, ACMA HonDLitt FAHA FASSA Sir Rupert William John Clarke, Bt MBE MA Oxf.

Robert Winston Humphrey Cripps

Alan Morton Cuthbertson, MB MS FRCS FRACS FACS (John Holmes Shaw Fellow) Professor Peter John Dennison, BMus Syd. MA Oxf. & Camb. DPhil Oxf. PhD Camb. FRCO The Right Reverend James Alexander Grant, BA ThL BD

James Stuart Guest, AM OBE VRD BSc MB BS FRCS Eng. FRACS The Hon. Sir Rupert James Hamer, ED LLM

John Hueston, BA MD MS FRCS FRACS Peter Griffith Jones, MB BS MS FRCS FAAP

Professor John Riddoch Poynter, Chevalier des Palmes Academiques MA Oxf. BA PhD FAHA FASSA

Robin Lorimer Sharwood, LLM Calif. SJD Harv. BA LLB Professor Alan George Lewers Shaw, MA Oxf. BA FAHA FASSA The Hon. Sir Reginald Richard Sholl, MA BCL Oxf. MA

The Right Reverend Sir Frank Woods, KBE DD Lambeth MA Camb. Hon. LLD Monash

C H O I R DIRECTOR

Bruce Macrae, BA DipEd BEd Monash

HONORARY DIRECTOR OF MEDICAL STUDIES

A.J. Buzzard, MB BS FRCS Eng. FRACS

COLLEGE TUTORS AGRICULTURAL SCIENCE

Agriculture: N. Warwick, BHortSc DipSc Massey Biochemistry: C. Troiani, BSc Monash

Biology: M. Deacon, BSc LaT.

Chemistry: C. McKenzie, BSc

Geology: N. Warwick, BHortSc DipSc Massey

ARTS

Chinese: J. Stanley-Baker, BA Vermont DPhil Oxf

Classical Studies: J. Howes, MA Oxf PhD; J Deane, BA Syd.

Criminology: T. Bartholomew, BSc Qld. Dip Crim

English: D. Matthews, BA Adel.; M Gronow; C Sexton BEc Monash BA Deakin Fine Arts: A. Trumble, BA; T. Lindsey, BA

French: D. Kemp, MA Dip Ed LaT.

Greek: as for Classical Studies Indonesian: T. Lindsey, BA

Italian: A. Mackie, MA Auck. DipLit & Lang Perugia Japanese: M. Nakahara, BA RMIT

868

(5)

TRINITY COLLEGE Philosophy: N. Yeo, BA

Psychology: B. Hogg, BSc Brist.

COMMERCE

Accounting: S. Phillipson, BCom LLB Commercial Law: B. Fitzgerald, LLB

Economics: C. Sexton, BEc Monash BA Deakin

ENGINEERING

Chemistry: S. Ng, BSc

Electrical Engineering: A. Screen, BEng BSc Monash Introduction:

Mathematics: C. Burvill, BEng Grad Dip Computing Ballarat Physics: S. Koutsoliotas, BSc

Statistics: P. Summers, BEng LAW

Company Law: R. Dean, BSc LLB Monash LLM MA Camb.

Contracts: R. Dean, BSc LLB Monash LLM MA Camb.

Constitutional & Administrative Law: B. Fitzgerald, LLB Criminal Law: K. Esser, BA LLB

Legal Process: L. Steiner, BEd LLB Property: C. Horsfall, LLB BCom

Trusts: A. Monichino, BEc LLB Monash LLM Camb.

MEDICINE

Anatomy: A. Visioli, MB BS Biochemistry: C. Troiani, BSc Monash Biology: S. Adamson

Chemistry: S. Ng, BSc Genetics: J. Saleeba, BSc Gynaecology: N. Johnstone

Medicine: I. Kronborg, MB BS FRACP: I. McKenzie, MB BS FRACP; L. J. Norton, MB BS FRACP: M. Luxton, MB BS MD FRACP FACC

Microbiology: D. Dutta, MB BS Vellore PhD Neuroscience: E. Popivic

Neurosurgery: D. Brownbill, MB BS FRACS

Obstetrics: M. Sedgley, MB BS Monash MRCOB FRACOB Ophthalmology: A. Brooks, MB BS MD FRACO FRACS FRACP Orthopaedics: P. Curwen-Walker, MB BS FRCS FRACS

Paediatric Medicine: I. Mclntyre, MB BS MRCP Paediatric Surgery: P. Jones, MB MS FRCS FAAP

Pathology: B. Wadham, MB BS DCP Lond. FRCPA FRCPath Pharmacology: D. Taylor, BSc PhD

Physics: S. Koutsoliotas, BSc

Physiology: J. Hayes, MB BS; P. Everett, BSc

Plastic Surgery: W. Wilson, MB BS FRACS; I. Carlysle Renal Medicine: J. Whitworth, MB BS MD PhD FRACP

Surgery: B. Hong, MB BS FRACS; J. Collins, MB BS FRACS FACS; A. Cuthbertson, MB MS FRCS FRACS FACS (John Holmes Shaw Fellow); N. Collier

Urology: D. Kennedy, MB BS FRCS FRACS Vascular Surgery: P. Field, MB BS FRACS Music

Music: J. McDonald, BA

SCIENCE

Biology: M. Deacon, BSc LaT. S. Adamson

Chemistry: C. McKenzie, BSc; A. Scully, BSc; J. Newman BSc Syd.

Computer Science: A. Nicholson, BSc Genetics: M. Morgan, BSc

Mathematics: M. Brazil; A Nicholson, BSc Physics: S. Koutsoliotas, BSc

VETERINARY SCIENCE

Agronomy: N. Warwick, BHortSc DipSc Massey

869

(6)

TRINITY COLLEGE Biology: M. Deacon, BSc LaT.

Biochemistry: C. Troiani, BSc Monash Chemistry: C. McKenzie, BSc Physics: S. Koutsoliotas, BSc

T R I N I T Y COLLEGE THEOLOGICAL LECTURERS

The Warden; The Director of the Theological School; The Chaplain; The Rev. S. A. H. Ames, BD ETS BSc PhD; The Right Reverend J. A. Grant, BA BD; The Rev. John Davis, BA DipEd Adel. MA McMaster

LEEPER LIBRARIAN

Mrs. E. Clarke, BA DipEd ALA

MOLLINSON LIBRARIAN

Miss J. M. Waller, MA COLLEGE TUITION

There is regular tuition throughout the year by resident and non-resident tutors in a wide range of University subjects. College Tutors are always available to give informal assistance and ad- vice. The tutorial system is arranged in consultation with the University and other Colleges.

Trinity theological students (resident and non-resident) study for the degrees of the Melbourne College of Divinity within the Parkville United Faculty of Theology. There is at present no Faculty or Department of Theology within the University itself.

The College Library (the Leeper Library) provides a useful working collection in the principal fields of undergraduate study, together with specialist research collections.

RESIDENT STUDENTS

Applications are welcomed from students in their second and later University years (including graduate students) as well as from those entering the University for the first time. Early enquiry is advisable.

NON-RESIDENT STUDENTS

While applications are welcomed from students in all Faculties, it may be necessary to decline an application because the class in a particular subject is full. Non-resident students will not normally be admitted except for the whole year.

Non-resident students may use the College Library and may take meals in Hall. Charges for meals may be ascertained from the College Office.

Non-resident students may join the Trinity College Associated Clubs by paying terminal sub- scriptions. This entitles them to use the Junior Common Room and related facilities, to take part in the activities of various College societies and to use College sporting facilities.

COLLEGE F E E S - 1 9 8 8 (a) Residents:

Application Fee (payable on application for admission) $20 Enrolment Fee (payable only on first being admitted) $300 Caution Money (balance refunded on request on leaving) $150 Annual Fees for residence during the three College terms (payable in three

instalments) $4,960 Charge for residence outside College terms, excluding period when kitchen

is closed (per day) bed and breakfast only $16.50 Charge for residence outside College terms when kitchen is closed (per day) .. $10

The annual fee and charges for residence outside term-time do not include week-day luncheons.

Four weeks' fees must be paid if a resident goes out of College during the course of a year without giving due notice. (An allowance will be made if the place is taken by another.)

The only additional recurring charge for all residents is for membership of the College Clubs ($90, payable in three equal instalments).

Special arrangements are made for authorized absences of one week or more during Term and for medical students in the later years of their courses.

(b) Non-Residents:

Application Fee (payable on application for admission) $20

870

(7)

TRINITY COLLEGE

Registration Fee $20 Caution Money (balance refunded on leaving) $50

Tuition Fee (payable at the beginning of the Academic Year or, with permission, in three instalments).

for theological students $ 1,700

for medical students (fifth and sixth years) $250

for others (per subject) $85 COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIP AND MUSIC AWARDS

The College offers an unspecified number of scholarships to students in all years of University courses, for a year at a time.

Major Scholarships are for $500 per annum, and Minor Scholarships, $250. In cases of need these amounts may be supplemented by additional bursary assistance.

Entrance Scholarships are offered to students entering first-year courses who gain excellent results in the Higher School Certificate Examination (or equivalent), demonstrate superior ability in a special Scholarship Examination held each year in October, and are recommended by their schools.

Senior Scholarships are awarded on the basis of results achieved in University courses the previ- ous year. Senior Students entering College for the first time who wish to be considered for a Scholarship must apply in writing to the Dean and enclose details of their previous academic record.

Special Scholarships are available to the sons and daughters of Anglican clergymen of the Dio- ceses of Melbourne and Wangaratta.

Theological Studentships valued up to $1,500 per annum are available to ordination candidates who are sponsored by their diocesan bishops.

An Organ Scholarship of $1100 per annum is offered. The duties of the Organ Scholar are to assist in the maintenance of the choir of Trinity College principally in accompanying choral services, to play the organ for other services in the chapel as directed by the Warden or the Chaplin, and to stimulate the playing and appreciation of music within the College.

Choral Exhibitions. The College offers twenty Choral Exhibitions, open both to College resi- dents and to students who are not resident. Choral exhibitioners, of whom there are six sopranos, four altos, four tenors and six basses, make up the Trinity College Choir. Further details may be had from the Warden.

APPLICATIONS: FURTHER INFORMATION

Applicants for resident membership are urged to lodge their applications by early November in the year prior to that of their proposed admission, even if at that date their applications must be provisional only.

For Application Forms, Scholarship Entry Forms and any further information apply to the Dean, Trinity College, Parkville, Victoria 3052.

871

(8)
(9)

Janet Clarke Hall

HISTORY

Janet Clarke Hall provides residence, supplementary education and corporate life for mem- bers of the University. It has accommodation for men and women, and flats for single and mar- ried tutors.

Janet Clarke Hall, first known as Trinity College Hostel, began in 1896 as the first women's college in Australia. It was founded by Dr Alexander Leeper and remained part of Trinity Col- lege until 1961 when it became independent.

The first building, opened in 1891, was named after Janet Lady Clarke, by whose generosity it was erected. A bequest of the late Mr W. T. Manifold enabled the Manifold Wing to be added in 1927. The building was further enlarged in 1930 with the opening of the Traill Wing, named after the principal donor. Since then, the Enid Joske Wing was completed in 1956 and the Lilian Scantlebury Wing in 1962. Extensive modernization was carried out from 1965 to 1975.

There are 80 undergraduate and 14 postgraduate students in residence.

PRESIDENT OF COUNCIL

The Anglican Archbishop of Melbourne.

PRINCIPAL

Phyllis A. Fry, BSc Syd. MSc W.A.

COLLEGE TUTORS

Assistant to the Principal: Trevor Andrews, BSc Director of Studies: John Roberts, BSc

Librarian: Louisa Baggaley, BA Biology: Louise O'Gorman, BSc Chemistry: Paula de Bruyn, BSc Engineering: Grant Stanley, BE English: Anne Maxwell, MA Law: John Bushby, LLB

Mathematics: John Roberts, BSc; Richard Goldberg, BSc Psychology: Fern Marriott, BSc MA

FELLOWS OF JANET CLARKE HALL

Yvonne Aitken, DAgrSc; Eva G. Eden, AM PhD Camb. MSc Hon LLD; Enid Alice Emmer- son, LLB: Margaret Henderson, OBE MD MRCP FRACP; Helen E. Knight MA Camb. PhD Lond.; Olive Wykes, BA MEd PhD.

COLLEGE TUITION

Weekly tutorials are held in a range of first year subjects. Where the College does not provide tutorials, arrangements are made to attend one of the neighbouring colleges.

COLLEGE FEES

Resident Students: A $20 fee is charged at the time of application. Enrolment fee is $25. Resi- dents are charged $146.30 per week, lunches included. Students are normally expected to re- main in residence a minimum of 29 weeks, making the annual charge $4,242. Students may spend some vacation time in College.

The College office will supply details of the special rates for tutors living in flats.

Non-resident students are also accepted, and are encouraged to become active members of the College. They may use all College facilities during the day, and fees include one free meal per week. Other meals may be taken at the current rates. The annual non residents fees are $100 for each tutorial subject.

(10)

JANET CLARKE HALL

COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIPS, BURSARIES AND LOANS

These are available for graduates and undergraduates. Major scholarships are valued at 15%

of fees and minor scholarships at 10% of fees. One scholarship, equal to a 50% reduction of fees is available to graduates. Bursaries may be available to students in circumstances of finan- cial hardship. Scholarships are awarded on the results of the Victorian Certificate of Education.

FURTHER INFORMATION

Further information and application forms may be obtained from the Principal, Janet Clarke Hall, Royal Parade, Parkville 3052. (Phone 347 2208.) Arrangements can be made for visitors to inspect the College.

874

(11)

Ormond College

HISTORY

Ormond College occupies the site, adjoining that of Trinity College, reserved by the Govern- ment of Victoria and offered to the Presbyterian Church of Victoria for the founding of a residential college "of and within the University of Melbourne". In November 1877, that Church decided to found such a College, and appointed eight trustees and eight other representatives of the Church to give effect to the decision. In October 1878, Mr Francis Ormond offered to increase an origi- nal promise to £10,000, provided that a total of £20,000 were raised for the building of the Col- lege. With acceptance of this generous offer was associated the naming of the College; and the first Council of the College was appointed, by the addition to the original committee of eight representatives of subscribers. The foundation stone was laid by His Excellency the Governor of Victoria (the Marquis of Normanby) on 14th November, 1879. The original building was the present main front of the College, Mr Ormond making special provision for the clock tower.

John Henry MacFarland*, Master of Arts of Queen's College, Belfast, and of St. John's College, Cambridge, was appointed Master of the College-which was formally opened by His Excellen- cy the Governor on 18th March, 1881. At the opening ceremony it was intimated that Mr Ormond had made "the splendid and generous offer to bear the whole cost of the building of the Col- lege". In 1881, Mr Ormond expressed his ambition to go on enlarging the College with the hope of seeing "150 or, at any rate, 100 students lodged .within its walls".

In 1885, the South-West Wing and a temporary Dining-Hall were opened by Mrs Ormond. The original Victoria Wing (facing north-east) was opened in the year 1889.

On 5th May, 1889, the Hon. Francis Ormond died. Up to that date, he had contributed over

£40,000 to the founding of the College; and his testamentary dispositions increased the total of his benefactions to the College to upwards of £100,000—partly direct bequest, and partly residuary.

The College Hall (with domestic quarters adjoining) and the Master's Lodge were then added, and came into use in 1893.

Immediately after the First World War, steps were taken to complete the main College building-so as to include the MacFarland Memorial Library,-)- and a Students' Common Room with equal floor space. The new buildings were officially opened by His Excellency the Governor of Vic- toria (the Earl of Stradbroke) on 23rd May, 1922. After that date the College was able to accom- modate about 135 resident students.

On the death of Sir John MacFarland (22nd July, 1935), the College became the residuary lega- tee of his estate-from which it eventually benefited by about £25,000 (including upwards of

£8,000 received for Foundation Scholarships in 1932).

Other substancial benefactions, since the foundation of the College, are not expressly named in this brief historical note.

From the beginning, the policy was adopted of placing no conditions but those of good charac- ter and adequate scholarship upon membership of the College.

The College provides "accommodation for the efficient conducting of the Theological Hall" of the Church, whose students may be resident members of the College. The Theological Hall is independently financed; in particular, part of a bequest of £30,000 from John Dickson Wyselaskie provided, in 1887, the Wyselaskie Building, which now includes four residences for theological professors. A further residence for this purpose was built in 1929.

* Subsequently, Sir John MacFarland, Chancellor of the University, f Dr MacFarland (as he was then) had retired from the Mastership at

the end of 1914.

875

(12)

ORMOND COLLEGE

With the building of a new Master's Lodge in 1958 and the conversion of the old Lodge into students' quarters an additional twenty students were accommodated. In 1961 a new wing (Pick- en Court) was built to accommodate some 92 students and 6 tutors.

A seven-storey residential building (McCaughey Court) was opened in 1968, accommodating 48 Undergraduates, 20 Tutors and Fellows, and Academic visitors. The College acquired four houses in 1984, bringing the total number in residence in Ormond to 350.

CHAIRMAN OF COLLEGE COUNCIL The Hon. Sir George Lush, LLM MASTER

D. H. Parker, MA Auck. MLitt Oxf.

SENIOR T U T O R AND SEYMOUR READER IN ANCIENT HISTORY AND PHILOSOPHY K. R. Jackson, BA Oxf. PhD Prin.

PROCTOR AND DEVELOPMENT OFFICER K. Miran-Khan, BMedSc MB BS LIBRARIAN

M. C. Perrett, MA CHAPLAIN

M. A. Logan, BSc BD McD

THWAITES-GUTCH RESEARCH FELLOW IN ANATOMY A. J. Wall, MD MRACP

J. ALEXANDER SCOTT FELLOW IN ANATOMY R. Siemienowicz, MB BS FRACC

HONORARY FELLOWS

Professor C. Howard, LLM Lond. PhD Adel. LLD; Professor B. J. McKellar, BSc PhD Syd.

DSc FInstP FAIP FAPS; A. Lascelles, PhD Syd. MVSc FAVSc VISITING FELLOWS (1987):

Professor J. Zubrzycki, AO CBE FASSA Emeritus Professor of Sociology Australian National University, 1987 G.E.M. Scott Fellow; Mr B. Easton, Director of the New Zealand Institute of Economic Research, 1987 Downing Fellow; Prof. M. Schroeder, Professor of Law State Univer- sity of Arizona; Justice M. Schroeder, U.S. Federal Court of Appeals; Professor P. Stebbings, Associate Professor of Law Pennsylvania State University; Professor J. Lockhart, History Univer- sity of California; Professor J. Scott, Head of Department of Medicine Auckland Hospital; Profes- sor D. Ritschl, Theology University of Heidelberg; Professor S. Brown, Pastoral Theology Princeton Theological Seminary; Professor J. Moltmann, Theology University of Tubingen;

(1988) Professor C. M. H. Clark, ANU 1988 G.E.M. Scott Fellow; Ms J. Rodriguez, Sydney;

Professor M. Stone, Hebrew University of Jerusalem.

TUTORS

Architecture: G. L. Hutchinson, DPhil Oxf. MEngSci (Director of Studies); M. Chapman, DipHort Line, GradDipLandTech; QIT.

Arts: A. Clark, BA DipEd; P. Craven, BA: P.G.C. Darby, DPhil Oxf LLB MA: J. Ekkel, BA:

C. J. Fisher, BA Lond. MA Wash. PhD Mich.; M Grant BCom DipJourn MSociol Monash;

J. G. Ivancic, BA; K. R. Jackson, MA Oxf PhD Prin.; D. Kemp, MA DipEd; E. Koepping, PhD Qld. MA Edin. DipSocSci Mane; Prof K. P. Koepping, DPhil Cologne; M. B. Mantello, BA LLB DipEd; P. Matthew, BA LLB: J. A. Mead, BA ANU MA (Director of Studies); P.

Mead, BA ANU MA LaT DipEd; A. S. Taubman,* BSc Syd. BA; J. Watson, BA; P. Watson, BA: M. D. Williams, BA LLB MLitt Oxf

Commerce: P. F. E. Hutchinson, BA Lond. ACA; A. Lansley, DipEd MEc Syd.; D. C. Lansley, DipEd MEc Syd. (Director of Studies); D. Q. Lee, BEc MBA Adel. MPhil ANU; S. Leith,*

BCom; I. B. Stewart, B.Com

Dental Science: A. J. Oliver, BDS Syd.; R. Siemienowicz, MB BS FRACS FRCS (Director of Studies).

Engineering: R. A. Bon,* BEng; G. Braunshausen, Diplom Heidel; P. Gage,* BE Syd.; T. Hurse, BEng; G. L. Hutchinson, DPhil Oxf. MEngSc (Director of Studies); D. Preston,* MA Camb.

BSc Sheff. DipEd Edin.

* Denotes non-resident tutor.

876

(13)

ORMOND COLLEGE

Law: L. Cain* LLB; R. Ingleby PhD BA LLM Oxf; D. J. O'Callaghan,* BA LLB LLM Yale;

D. M. Preston,* BA LLB; J. M. Sharpe, LLB Qld. LLM Monash (Director of Studies); A. Tuck- er,* LLB; E. Wright,* LLB Dal., MA Camb.; M. D. Williams, BA LLB MLitt Oxf.

Medicine: G. Braunshausen, Diplom Heidel; D. Butterfield,* MB BS FRACS: I. Cooke, BSc PhD; D. Dutta, MB BS Vellore; J. A. M. Gall, BSc Qld. PhD; J. Hays,* MB BS; G. Lieschke, BMedSc MB BS; H. G. Mack, BMedSc MB BS; F. Macrae,* MB BS MD MRCP FRACP;

M. Muhammed,* BPharm Karachi MPharm PhD; C. L. Rolls, BSc PhD; R. Siemienowicz, MB BS FRACS FRCS (Director of Studies, Pre-Clinical Medicine); A. Wall,* MD FRACP (Director of Studies, Clinical Medicine).

Music: E. Anderson, MMus; G. J. Ekkel, BA; R. D. Lawrence, TPTC MMus (Master of the Chapel Music); S. Mclntyre, BA (Director of Studies).

Science and Veterinary Science: G. Braunshausen, Diplom Heidel; C. Burns, BSc; D. Chambers*;

I. Cooke, BSc PhD; Prof. K. Cox, PhD BSc WA; A. J. Davis,* BSc; G. Dobbie, MSc Massey;

J. English, BSc; M. Logan, BSc BD MCD; A. J. Mack,* BSc; A. McCarter,* BSc; P. J. Rayner, BSc; C. L. Rolls, BSc PhD; R. Warner, BSc PhD; N. Warwick,* BSc DipSc Massey.

COLLEGE TUITION

The College offers tutorials in a large number of university subjects. These tutorials, which supplement university teaching, are open to resident and non-resident students.

RESIDENCE

Early application is encouraged, but candidates may submit applications for residence at any stage of the year.

FEES FOR RESIDENT STUDENTS

Registration Fee (Office charge, payable on application for admission) $20

Enrolment Fee (payable on admission) $200 Annual Fee for Residence-Undergraduates—for 31 weeks $4854

The above fees cover the College charges for residence during the period of the three College terms (see below). For authorized residence at other times during the academic year the charge is $17.00 per day.

The above fees cover the College charges for residence and tuition during the following periods of the year 1988:

First Term - Sunday, March 6 to Saturday, May 13 (10 weeks) Second Term — Sunday, June 5 to Saturday, August 12 (10 weeks)

Third Term-Sunday, Sept. 4 to Friday, November 18 (11 weeks)

The only additional recurring charge is membership of the Students' Club $85 p.a. payable to the Club.

College fees are paid in three equal instalments. Accounts are rendered to resident students ear- ly in each term, and have to be paid within a stipulated time. If they are not so paid, an interest charge is added to them.

NON-RESIDENT MEMBERSHIP

Members of the University may become non-resident members of the College and take part in College tutorials. Fees and other information may be obtained from the College tutorial office.

SCHOLARSHIPS AND EXHIBITIONS

An examination for resident scholarships and non-resident exhibitions, open to students enter- ing the University in the following year, is held annually. These scholarships and exhibitions are, in general, free of all restrictions.

Any student already in attendance at the University, who wishes to be elected to a College scholar- ship or exhibition, is requested to communicate with the Master. In such cases the award is based chiefly upon the the student's University record.

ORMOND COLLEGE CENTENARY SCHOLARSHIP

The Ormond College Centenary Scholarship provides for one year in residence in Ormond Col- lege without payment of College fees. It is awarded for outstanding academic merit. If, in any given year, the College finds it difficult to decide between the relative claims of two or more candidates for the Ormond College Centenary Scholarship, the Scholarship is awarded to that candidate who, in the judgement of the College, is most in need of financial support.

877

(14)

ORMOND COLLEGE FURTHER INFORMATION

For further information as to residence and tuition, or as to scholarships and exhibitions, appli- cation should be made to the Master, Ormond College, Parkville, Victoria 3052.

878

(15)

Queen's College

HISTORY

Queen's College is built on the portion of the University Reserve granted to the Methodist Church by the Government of Victoria. It was not until 1878 that the Conference resolved to avail itself of the reserve and took the first steps towards building the College. Through the efforts of the Reverend William Abraham Quick, regarded as the founder of the College, it was possible to lay the foundation stone on 16th June, 1887. This ceremony was performed by His Excellency the Governor of Victoria, Sir Henry Brougham Loch. The year 1887 being the jubilee of Queen Victoria's accession to the throne, the College was named Queen's College. The Col- lege opened on 14th March, 1888, with a total of 18 students. The first Master, the Rev. Dr.

E. H. Sugden, held office for 40 years.

In 1889 extension of the building became necessary, and on 2nd April, 1890, the enlarged build- ings, which included the Dining Hall and 26 rooms, were opened by Sir Matthew Davies. In 1905 further additions were made to the building, and again in 1910 when the eastern facade was completed.

After the First World War, the pressure upon the accommodation of the College was such that further extension became necessary. Largely through the advocacy and generous support of Mr.

J. T. Tweddle, the central tower and a new wing (which bears his name) on the north side of the College were completed in 1923, at a cost of over £50,000, and were opened by Mr. W.

T. Hattam. In 1930 a science laboratory was built through the generosity of Messrs A. M. and G. R. Nicholas.

Since 1958 the College has been engaged in a building and renovation programme which has expanded and improved the facilities of the College. The "Raynor C. Johnson" wing was built in two stages, the first being opened by the Prime Minister (Rt. Hon. R. G. Menzies) in 1960, and the second in 1968. A new dining hall (Eakins Hall) and kitchen block were completed in 1964, and Kernick House, a block of flats for married students was built in 1975. In 1969 the College began a programme of renovation of the rooms and services in the'old wings, providing comfortable single bedroom studies of a comparable standard to the Johnson Wing. These reno- vations were completed in 1979. The old Science Laboratories have been converted and reno- vated as a recreational centre providing music practice rooms, a T.V. room, a party room and kitchenettes, and a billiard room. The College celebrated its centenary in 1987 with a new library building, the "Owen Parnaby" wing.

Queen's College is governed by a Council of 28 members responsible to the Victorian Synod of the Uniting Church, and is composed of representatives of the Church, the University, the Fellows and Tutors, and present and past members of the College. In academic matters the Master is advised by the Fellows of the College, academically distinguished former members of the Col- lege elected unanimously by the Fellows Meeting. Queen's College has been traditionally a male college, but from 1973 it has accepted enrolments from both men and women students. The College has always been open to both resident and non-resident students without regard to their religious beliefs.

PRESIDENT OF THE COUNCIL

Professor G. N. Blainey, AO MA

MASTER

George Anderson MacDonald Scott, BSc Glas. BA Monash PhD Wales (From 1st July, 1986)

VICE-MASTER

J. W. Clarke, BA DipEd DipSocStud DipPsych

HONORARY FELLOWS

Professor G. N. Blainey, AO MA; Sir Halford Cook, OBE PhD Kansas MA; Richard Divall, OBE; The Hon. Sir Richard Eggleston, LLB; N. M. Harry, MB BS FRCS FRACS; Professor E.S.R. Hughes, CBE MD MS FRCS FRACS FACS; Professor J. E. Isaac, PhD Lond. BCom;

A. R. M. Johnson, BEE BMechE BSc FIEA; Professor R. L. Martin, MSc PhD ScD Camb.

879

(16)

QUEEN'S COLLEGE

FAA FRICS FRACI; Professor J. W. McCarty, PhD Camb. BCom; I. H. McConchie, MB MS FRACS; Professor E. F. Osborn, MA BD PhD DD Camb. Hon. DD; Professor D. G. Pening- ton, AC MA DM BCh Oxf. FRCP FRACP FRCPA; Sir Ian Potter, Hon. LLD BEc FAAS;

Professor W. A. G. Scott, BLitt Oxf. BA; Sir Harold L. White, CBE MA FLAA FASSA Hon.

FAHA; Professor Emeritus Sir Roy Douglas Wright, AK DSc AM. U. &Melb. Hon.LLD A M U.

& Melb. MB MS FRACP

SUGDEN RESEARCH FELLOW

Vacant.

SENIOR TUTOR

I. G. Manning, PhD A.N.U. BCom

TUTORS

Arts

English: Pamela Foulkes

French: Judith Armstrong, MA PhD German: Dorle S. Gibson

Philosophy: John R. Howes, MA Oxf. & Melb. PhD; Christopher D. Cordner, BA Psychology: Michael Symons, BA

Commerce:

Accounting: D. Glenn Sedgwick, BCom Deakin Commercial Law: Andrew Barclay, BCom Economics: Ian G. Manning, PhD A.N.U. BCom Statistical Method: Ian G. Manning, PhD A.N.U. BCom Engineering

Chemistry: Sebastian A. Bombaci, BSc Introduction to Engineering: David Strickland

Mathematics: Trevor Waechter, BEng MSc Adel. PhD Camb. FIMA; David Strickland;

John M. Browne, BSc BME MAppSc PhD Physics: Craig Adrians

Law:

Contracts: Pending.

Criminal Law: G. Green, LLB Legal Process: G. Green, LLB Torts: Pending

Medicine

Anatomy: Matthew C. Campbell, MB BS Biochemistry: Pending

Biology: Pending

Chemistry: Sebastian A. Bombaci, BSc Medicine: Neil Strathmore, MSc MB BS Microbiology: Pending

Neurosciences: Mark Faragher Pathology: Gayle Jones, BSc PhD Pharmacology: Mark Nelson, BSc Physics: Craig Adrians

Physiology: Robert Di Nicolantonio, BSc PhD Surgery: Peter Little, MB BS FRACS Music

Science

Biochemistry: Pending Biology: Pending

Computing Science: Glen M. Trestrail, BSc Chemistry: Carolyn Rolls, BSc

Mathematics: Trevor Waechter, BEng MSc Adel. PhD Camb. FIMA; Chris G. Gibson, BSc St. And. DrsMath Amst.

Physics: Craig Adrians

Physiology: Robert Di Nicolantonio, BSc PhD

880

(17)

QUEEN'S COLLEGE COLLEGE TUITION

Tutorials are held in the College and the College participates in the inter-collegiate tutorial programme, thus making available tutorial assistance in most subjects for which students enrol.

These tutorials are supplementary, and not alternative, to University lectures and tutorials.

Enrolment by non-resident male and female students is encouraged RESIDENT SCHOLARSHIPS AND BURSARIES

Resident scholarships to the value of approximately $25,000 and non-resident exhibitions valued at $144 are given each year. Some of these are awarded on the basis of the scholarship examina- tion held in November each year. This is intended for those who are coming up from school and proposing to start a university course in the following March. The remainder are awarded in February at a meeting of the Fellows of the College. These awards are based upon the honours results obtained in the University annual examinations. All enrolled resident or non-resident students of the College are regarded automatically as candidates, together with any students out- side the College who wish their University results to be considered for a scholarship or exhibition.

Some scholarships are restricted in their award by the terms of the endowment. Keith Macart- ney Scholarships are restricted to students enrolled in the faculty of Arts. The A. J. Roberts Scholarship ($500 p.a.) to students from Wesley College, the E. J. Smart Scholarship ($500) and the Howard Hitchcock Scholarships to students from the Geelong College.

Scholarships and exhibitions are awarded for a year only, but a student may be re-elected year by year throughout the student's University course to a scholarship of the same or different value.

Resident scholarships are paid in three equal instalments by way of deduction from the first, second and third terms' fees.

ROOMS, EQUIPMENT, ETC.

Rooms are allotted to resident students in order of seniority, subject in each case to the Master's approval. The rooms are furnished with essential furniture, but students must bring their own sheets, pillow cases and towels (four of each).

FEES

Resident Students: Non-resident Students:

Registration Fee $20 Registration Fee $20 Enrolment Fee $50 Enrolment Fee $10 Caution Money $75 Annual Fee for one subject $105

Sports and Social Club Fee $69 Each additional subject $95 Annual Fee $4680 Three subjects or more $260 The College Council reserves the right to review the matter at the end of each term.

The enrolment fee of $30 is payable by all resident students upon joining the College. This is placed upon the first terminal account.

The above fees cover all College charges for residence, tuition, board, etc. during College terms.

Residence in College outside the College terms requires permission from the Master. A vacation charge at the rate of $13.30 per day will be made for the period of residence outside that covered by the College terms.

Where, as in the clinical years of the Medical course, the period of hospital residence may in- volve absence during the College terms, an allowance of $77.00 per week for such period will be made. An adjustment will also be made for prolonged absence through illness.

A term's notice is required of a student's intention to leave College during the course of the year, unless there are exceptional circumstances.

FURTHER INFORMATION

For further information as to residence and tuition, or as to scholarships and exhibitions, appli- cation should be made to the Master, Queen's College, Parkville, Victoria 3052.

881

(18)
(19)

Newman College

HISTORY

Newman College is built in the section of the University Reserve granted by the Government of Victoria to the Catholic Church in the Crown Grant of 2nd October, 1882. The foundation stone was laid by the Archbishop of Melbourne (the Most Reverend Thomas Joseph Carr, D.D.), on Pentecost Sunday, 11th June, 1916. It was founded by the generosity of the Catholic people of the State of Victoria, stimulated by the gift of £30,000 for bursaries from Thomas Donovan, Esquire, of Edgecliffe, Sydney, New South Wales, and cost over £90,000. The first section of the building was designed by Walter Burley Griffin and features a magnificent dining rotunda.

The Chapel was added just before the Second World War and after the war additional building programmes doubled the accommodation for students so that today the College provides for an enrolment of 225 undergraduates and graduates.

The Library, which consists of more than 25,000 volumes, comprises the valuable collections of W. L. Bowditch, Esquire; Rev. Patrick O'Reilly; Rev. E. J. Kelly, D.D.; and John McMa- hon, Esquire. It has been enriched by the addition of the Bevan collection of Australian books, the O'Donnell collection of Irish books, and the Hackett collection.

PRESIDENT OF COUNCIL

The Most Reverend Sir Thomas Francis Little, KBE STD

RECTOR

The Very Reverend William James Uren, SJ MLitt Oxf. BD MCD Dipjur Syd. MA

VICE RECTOR AND DEAN OF STUDIES

The Reverend Gerard Healy, SJ BSc BTh DipEd MACE

CHAPLAIN

The Reverend James Mclnerney, SJ BA

TUTORS

Arts

English: B. Barns, BA

Ethics: J. E. Begley, SJ PhD Greg. MA Philosophy: J. E. Begley, SJ PhD Greg. MA

Political Science: G. Barns, BA LLB, T. Harrison, BA Qld.

Commerce

Commercial Law A: B. Mueller, BA LLB Accounting A: D. Watkins, LLB BCom Engineering

Eng. Physics 1: G. Baxter, BSc Eng. Chemistry: B. Abrahams, BSc Eng. Maths 1: A. Larkin, BSc MEd

Intro, to Eng. 1: B. Gregg, BE MEngSc PhD Mechanics of Solids: B. Gregg, BE MEngSc PhD Eng. Maths 2: A. Larkin, BSc MEd

Law:

Legal Process: D. Whiting, LLB BCom Criminal Law: G. Barns, BA LLB Torts: B. Mueller, BA LLB

Con. & Admin. Law: N. Green, BA LLB Property: D. Whiting, LLB BCom Contracts: B. Mueller, BA LLB Securities: T. O'Connor, LLB

883

(20)

NEWMAN COLLEGE Medicine

Biology: T. Stranks, BSc

Physics: G. Baxter, BSc; G. Healy, SJ BSc BTh DipEd MACE Chemistry: B. Abrahams, BSc

Histology/Embryology: J. Manderson, BSc Behavioural Studies: J. Reilly, MB BS Biochemistry: T. Heaney, BSc PhD Anatomy: S. Banting, MB BS Physiology: R. Canale, BSc PhD Histology: R. Canale, BSc PhD Microbiology: N. Vardaxis, BSc Science:

Chemistry: B. Egan, BSc; J. Bertolini, BSc W.Aust.

Physics: G. Baxter, BSc; S. Long, BSc Biology: N. Vardaxis, BSc; T. Stranks, BSc Maths: C. Livingston, BSc; G. Baxter, BSc Psychology: A. Churchill, BA

Biochemistry: T. Heaney, BSc PhD COLLEGE TUITION

Tutorials are open to all students, men and women, resident and non-resident. Details of tutori- als can be obtained from the Dean of Studies.

BURSARIES

A number of scholarships and bursaries are available. For details, apply to the Rector.

COLLEGE FEES (exclusive of University Fees) (a) Resident Undergraduate Students

Entrance Fee $50 Fee for Residence per year $4340

Medical attention and students' Club fees are special charges. Linen is provided by the College but personal laundry is the student's own responsibility.

The fee for residence covers the three College terms set out below.

For residence outside College terms the charge is $20 per day.

Fees are paid in three equal instalments, but the fee for residence assumes that a student is in residence for the entire year.

(b) Resident Graduate Students (both Men and Women)

Graduate students are also accommodated within the College and should apply to the Rector for information about available accommodation.

(c) Non-resident Students (Men and Women)

Enrolment Fee $10 Tutorial Fee for the year $120 per subject

FURTHER INFORMATION

For further information as to residence and tuition, or as to scholarhips, bursaries and exhibi- tions, application should be made to the Rector, Newman College, Parkville, Victoria 3052.

884

(21)

St Mary's College

HISTORY

St Mary's College was established in 1918 as an annexe to Newman College and was known as St Mary's Hall, a residence for Catholic women university students. It was located on a site at some distance from the University in The Avenue, Parkville and provided accommodation for ten students.

With the growing need for more accommodation, a new Catholic women's College was built in 1965 between Newman College and the University, on land which was part of the section of the University reserve generously granted to the Catholic Church by the Government of Vic- toria in 1882, the land being designated for this purpose by the courtesy of the Archbishop of Melbourne. The present College was opened in 1966 as an independent College directly affiliated by Statute to the University of Melbourne with accommodation for 90 students. With the addi- tion of the North Wing in 1969 and the West Wing in 1973, the College was finally completed.

Two outstanding features of the beautiful Georgian style building are the Library and the Chapel, the latter an example of the incomparable craftmanship of Schulim Krimper.

The College has traditionally been a women's College but from 1977 it has accepted enrolments from both men and women students. It provides accommodation for 158 residents comprising graduate and undergraduate students and tutors.

PRESIDENT OF THE COUNCIL

The Most Reverend Sir Thomas Francis Little, KBE STD

PRINCIPAL

The Reverend Sister Jane Kelly, IBVM BA DipEd DipPastTheol Heythrop Lond. MACE

TUTORS

Biology: Christopher Hbvens, BSc Chemistry: David O'Brien, BSc

Computer Science: Graeme O'Keefe, BSc English: Michelle de Kretser, BA Economics: Darcy McCormack, MA (Eco) Engineering: Tim Gale, BEng

Fine Arts: Dr Emma Devapriam, PhD Cleveland Mathematics: Peter Caputi, BA

Music: Justin Tonti-Filippini, BMus Philosophy: Anna Corbo, BA

Physics: Graeme O'Keefe, BSc; Steven McDonald, BSc Psychology: Peter Caputi, BA

Statistics: Peter Caputi, BA COLLEGE TUITION

Tutorials are provided by the College with the object of assisting students with their University work. These are supplementary and not alternative to University tutorials.

Tutorials are open to all students, men and women, resident and non-resident.

RESIDENCE

Applications are welcomed from students in their second and later University years as well as from those entering the University for the first time.

COLLEGE FEES (exclusive of University fees) Resident Students:

Registration fee (payable on application for admission) $20 Entrance fee (includes $5 nomination fee for Students Club) $35

885

(22)

ST MARY'S COLLEGE

Fee for Residence and Tuition for 31 weeks $4250 Vacation charge (for residence outside College Terms) (per day) $16

Residence fees cover the three College terms.

Fees are paid in three equal instalments, but the fee for residence assumes that a student is in residence for the entire academic year.

Non-Resident Students:

Enrolment Fee $10 Tutorial Fee, per subject $102

Library $25 SCHOLARSHIPS

A number of scholarships will be awarded annually for resident students and some bursaries are also available.

FURTHER INFORMATION

For further information concerning residence and tutorials, application should be made to the Principal, St Mary's College, Parkville, Victoria 3052.

886

(23)

University College

HISTORY

University College stands in College Crescent, facing Ormond College in five and a half acres of ground reserved for it by order of the Governor-in-Council, 1934. It is a modern building, founded in 1936, and opened in 1937 as a College "of and within the University of Melbourne".

There is accommodation for 166 residents.

The College is open to any student of the University, but preference will be given to students who pursue a full-time University degree course. A small number of places are reserved for stu- dents studying at other tertiary institutions. Provision is made for non-resident students to take part in College activities as well as in College tutorials.

PRESIDENT OF THE COUNCIL

Betty Marginson

PRINCIPAL

Heather Hewitt, BA DipEd LaT. MAPS

VICE PRINCIPAL

William Callander, BA MEdAdmin

COLLEGE TUTORS

Anatomy: I. Macdonald, MB ChB Pret. PhD Biochemistry: K. Joyner, BSc

Chemistry: M. Von Itzstein, BSc PhD

Classical Studies/History: C. Dawson, BA DipEd Commerce/Law: P. Crutchfield, LLB BCom Computer Science: S. Paynter, BAppSc Engineering: V. Karri, BEng(Mech) English: D. Hellier, MA . French: F. Bethry, MA

Mathematics/Physics: L. Irlicht, BSc Music: C. Green, BMus DipEd Philosophy: J. Dalton, BJuris DipEd Politics: V. Miller, BA Monash BSW LaT.

Psychology: S. Loosely BA DipEd; S. Jenkinson BA MSc ///; I. Storey, BBSc LaT.

Zoology: P. Osborne, BSc COLLEGE TUITION

The College is responsible for the general supervision and guidance of students' academic work.

Most tutorials are held in the College; a few in conjunction with other colleges. These are sup- plementary and not alternative to University lectures and tutorials.

College tuition is open to non-resident students. Such students will not normally be admitted except for the whole year, and for all their subjects in which there are College tutorials.

Non-resident students may use the library and may take meals in Hall. Meal costs may be ascertained from the College office.

FEES

For Resident Students

Registration Fee (payable on application) $20

Enrolment Fee $200

*Annual Fees $4950 Caution Money $80

*The Council reserves the right to raise the fees at any time should this prove necessary to cover increased costs.

887

(24)

UNIVERSITY COLLEGE

These fees cover College charges for residence, tuition and service during 31 weeks of the Aca- demic Year as set out by the University Calendar.

Where possible, arrangements will be made for students to live in College during vacation periods if they have to follow recognized courses of study. The charge for vacation residence is $19.50 per day. The only additional regular cost is subscription to the Students' Club ($70).

College fees are paid in three instalments.

For Non-Resident Students:

$220 with the registration fee of $10, and enrolment fee of $30 (once only payment).

SCHOLARSHIPS

Entrance scholarships are awarded annually on the basis of Higher School Certificate results, school reports and an interview at the College. Interviews for scholarships are held in November.

A number of scholarships are awarded annually provided there are candidates of sufficient merit;

the value of a scholarship may be increased to allow scholars to come into residence which they might otherwise be unable to do.

Any student already in attendance at the University, who wishes to apply for a College scholar- ship, is requested to contact the Principal. In such cases the award is based chiefly upon the student's University record.

Major and minor scholarships ranging from $300 to $150 are awarded to resident students. Major and minor non-resident scholarships are $60 and $30 respectively.

RESIDENT STUDENTS

Applications are welcomed from students in their second and later university years (including graduate students), as well as from those entering University for the first time. Early application is advisable.

FURTHER INFORMATION

For further information concerning residence, tutorials, and scholarships, application should be made to the Principal, University College, Parkville, Victoria 3052.

888

(25)

St Hilda's College

HISTORY

St Hilda's College is situated on College Crescent between Queen's College and Ormond Col- lege. It was built as a result of a generous gift of land by Queen's College, with the approval of the Methodist Conference of Victoria and Tasmania and moneys donated by the general pub- lic and the Commonwealth and State Governments.

In 1959 an Interim Council, drawn from the Wyverna Club of Queen's College and the Ormond Women's Association and including representatives from the Methodist and Presbyterian Churches, drew up a Constitution which was later ratified by the governing bodies of the two Churches concerned. The College was opened for students on the 26th February, 1964, and the buildings were officially opened on the 11th April, 1964, by the Rt Hon. Sir Robert Men- zies, K.T.

Whilst the College was originally founded for women, male students were first admitted in 1973 and there are now equal numbers of men and women students in residence.

Following the formation in 1976 of the Uniting Church in Australia, St Hilda's College came under its auspices.

CHAIRMAN OF THE COUNCIL

R. S. A. Harper, MCom

PRINCIPAL

Brian D. James, DMin STM CTS Indianapolis BD Garrett BA MAAMFC

VICE-PRINCIPAL & SENIOR TUTOR

Medicine: Ralphine de la Harpe, MB BS

TUTORS

Biology: Diane Chambers, BSc

Commerce: Richard Camm, BSc BCom W.Aust.

Computer Science: John Shepherd, MSc Economics: Andrew Ham, BCom Engineering: Stuart McDonald, BEng English: Philippa Wetherell, BA

Law: Andrew Mcintosh, BEcon A.N.U. LLB Tas.

Mathematics: Trevor Ackerly, BSc

Medicine: David de la Harpe, BSc BAppSc P.I.T.

Physics: Bruce Marret, BSc MEnvStud Adel.

NON-RESIDENT TUTORS

Chemistry: Pamela Oliver, BSc PhD DipEd LaT.

Economics: Ian Stewart, BCom French: Janusz Sysak, BA History: Suzanne Davies, BA Law: Richard Manly, LLB Politics: Matthew Pinkney, BA ACCOMMODATION

The College accommodates 166 students in single study /bedrooms and has 8 flats for single and married tutors.

Non-resident students are eligible for College tutorials, may use the Library and other College facilities, dine in College at student rates and participate fully in College life.

COLLEGE FEES: 1986 (1) For Resident Students:

Residence and Tuition $4800 p.a.

889

(26)

ST HILDA'S COLLEGE

Registration Fee $20.00 Enrolment Fee $200.00

^Caution Money $125.00 Student Club $70.00 Vacation Rate (per day) $20.00

Fees entitle resident students to board, lodgings and tuition for the College's Academic Year or its equivalent. The Academic Year of the College of 31 weeks is based on the University of Melbourne Academic Year.

Arrangements are made with other colleges for tutorials in subjects not offered at St Hilda's.

(2) Non-Resident Students:

Registration Fee $20.00 Annual Fee $200.00 SCHOLARSHIPS

A number of scholarships will be awarded annually for resident and non-resident students and a few bursaries are also available.

FURTHER INFORMATION

For more detailed information application should be made to the Principal, St Hilda's College, College Crescent, Parkville, Victoria, 3052.

£This is reclaimable if the student wishes, subject to deduction of any outstanding dues, within three months of the student finally leaving residence.

890

(27)

Whitley College

HISTORY

Whitley College is situated on land in Royal Parade owned by the Baptist Union of Victoria and reserved by it for the establishment and conduct of a College affiliated with the University of Melbourne.

The College was opened on 27th February, 1965, by the Prime Minister, Sir Robert Menzies.

It is named after Dr W. T. Whitley who established the first Baptist Theological College in Australia in 1891.

The building accommodates 135 students and 12 resident tutors.

The College has been the recipient of three large benefactions:

(a) The Charles Hedly Sanham Memorial Fund, the income of which is in excess of $15,000, and is to be applied to the training of young men for the Baptist ministry;

(b) The Alexander Crocket Estate in excess of $640,000, to be applied to the religious pur- poses of the College; and

(c) The Margaret Crocket Estate in excess of $150,000, to be applied to the College Build- ing Fund.

Whitley College is governed by a Council of 35 members under the control of the Baptist Union of Victoria. It is open for residence to students of the University of Melbourne of all religious persuasions. A limited number of students may become non-resident members of the College.

The College serves both men and women.

PRESIDENT OF THE COUNCIL

Ollwyn Charles Abbott, BCom

PRINCIPAL

The Reverend Kenneth Ross Manley, BA Syd. DPhil Oxf.

DEAN

Ian Albert George Roos, BSc PhD DipEd

SENIOR TUTOR

The Reverend Keith John Sykes, BSc BD

TUTORS

Accounting/Economics: Jayant Menon, BEc LaT.

Biochemistry: Jane Carol Whitley, BSc

Chemistry: Philip Henry Errington Nash, BSc DipEd Monash Engineering: Ross Peter McAree, BMechEng RMIT

History: Timothy Ross Gibson, BEd MCAE Mathematics: Darren James Jones, BSc Deakin Music: David Townson Agg, BSc DipEd ThA AAOC Pharmacy: Gudrun Reimers, BPharm

Politics: Jennifer Louise Robins, BA COLLEGE TUITION

Tuition is provided by the College with the special object of assisting students with their university work. The instruction so given is supplementary, not alternative to that provided by the University.

RESIDENCE

Early application for residence is advisable. Applicants should seek an appointment with the Principal during the months of September and October.

891

(28)

WHITLEY COLLEGE

FEES FOR RESIDENT STUDENTS

Registration Fees (payable on application for admission) $20 Enrolment Fee (payable on admission) .- $100

Annual Fee for Residence $4200 The above fees cover the College charges for residence during the three College terms. For autho-

rized residence at other times during the academic year a charge of $16.50 per day is made.

For authorized absence of one week or more during term a special allowance is made. The only additional recurring charge is for membership of the College club. Laundry facilities are availa- ble within the College. The fees for residence are payable in three instalments. A full term's notice is required of a student's intention to go out of residence during the course of the year.

SCHOLARSHIPS AND BURSARIES

Resident scholarships are available to candidates of any denomination, and will be awarded on the results of examinations. They are available to students who are coming up from schools to the University.

Scholarships are also available to students already in attendance at the University and will be awarded on the basis of the results of their University examinations.

A limited number of closed scholarships is available to members of Baptist churches.

FURTHER INFORMATION

Further information may be obtained from the Principal, Whitley College, 271 Royal Parade, Parkville, Victoria 3052. Telephone 347 8388.

H92

(29)

Ridley College

HISTORY

Ridley College was founded in 1910, partly to provide training for evangelical Anglican ordi- nands, and partly to provide a hostel for University men. Throughout its history it has preserved this dual character. It is an Anglican foundation, but residence is open to non-Anglicans.

The beginnings of the College were humble. A boarding house, called "Norwood" (which may still be seen opposite Janet Clarke Hall) was rented, and became a College housing five students.

The College developed, however, and soon a property called "Kooringa" further down Sydney Road was purchased (now alas demolished to make way for a motel), and the College was set up on what was expected to be its final site. It continued to grow, however, and "Kooringa"

had to be sold in order to move to a larger site where the College is now located on the corner of Walker Street and The Avenue. At first there was ample accommodation in the large house,

"Cumnock". But as the College grew and as money became available, other buildings were erected.

From time to time the suggestion was made that Ridley be more closely linked with the Univer- sity than at its foundation. Sometimes it was thought it should be connected in some way with Trinity, sometimes that it should be connected with the University itself. But all such proposals came to nothing, until in 1965 application was made to the University Council for acceptance as an affiliated College. After a seemly delay while negotiations took place, this was agreed to and the College began 1966 as one of the University of Melbourne's affiliated Colleges.

CHAIRMAN OF THE COUNCIL

The Anglican Archbishop of Melbourne.

PRINCIPAL

The Reverend Canon M. S. Betteridge, MA LTh BD N.Z. STM N. Y. DipEd.

D E A N OF STUDIES

The Reverend J. Mclntyre, ThL BD Lond.

COLLEGE TUTORS

Senior Tutor: Peter Williams, BA DipEd Macq.

Tutors: Claus Petr, BSc NSWIT MSc UNSW; Neville Chiavaroli, BAppSc; Karina Szabo; Kevin Embrey, BSc Deakin; Katherine Seaton, BSc

THEOLOGICAL LECTURERS

Full-time: The Principal; The Reverend B. Darling, MA DipEd Syd. ThL; The Reverend C.

Kruse, ThL BD MPhil Lond. PhD Fuller; The Reverend J. Mclntyre, ThL BD Lond.; The Reverend H. C. Oldland, BSc PhD DipIC ThL ARCS; The Reverend R. Payne, BA Syd. BD Lond. MTh ACT DipEd Syd. DipRE MCD; The Reverend J. Pryor, BA Syd. MA Camb. ThL BD Lond.; The Reverend C. H. Sherlock, BA Syd. MA ANUBD Lond. ThD; The Reverend D. J. Williams, MA ThL ThM Fuller PhD.

Visiting: The Reverend P. Adam, BD ThSchol PhD; The Venerable P. Corney, ThL DipRE;

Mrs R. Kruse, MA; The Reverend G. Rutherford, MA ThSchol DipRE; G. Jenkins, BSc Monash BA PhD; The Reverend P. Sherlock, BA ANU DipEd UNSW ARC BTh; R. Buckland, BA DipEd BD; D. Hannar, MSc(App) DipEd; The Reverend G. Garner, BA BD ThL; F. Ash, AMusA LRCM MIMT

COLLEGE CHAPLAIN:

The Reverend Peter Oldland, BSc PhD DipIC ThL ARCS.

COLLEGE TUITION

Tutorials are held in the College, and, in some subjects, in conjunction with other colleges. These tutorials are, of course, supplementary and not alternative to University lectures and tutorials.

Tutorials are open to non-resident students.

893

(30)

RIDLEY COLLEGE FEES

Registration Fee (payable on application for admission) $20

Enrolment Fee (payable on acceptance) $100 Annual Fee (for residence and tutorials) $4400 Bond Money (reclaimable if no dues outstanding) $95 The fees cover residence and tuition during the academic year. Accommodation is usually avail-

able during vacations at rates which may be ascertained from the office. Accommodation is nor- mally in single rooms. There is accommodation for eight tutors and 82 students.

SCHOLARSHIPS

The holder of a scholarship is normally required to pursue an honours course. A scholarship is awarded for one year, but may be renewed year by year if the scholar's University record justi- fies it.

FURTHER INFORMATION

Further information may be obtained from the Principal, Ridley College, Parkville, Victoria 3052.

894

(31)

Graduate House

WARDEN

G. R. Fairhall, BD Melb. Coll. Div. MEdAdmin N.E. BA HISTORY

Graduate House was opened in 1962 as a small hall of residence for postgraduate workers, whether Australian or from overseas, predominantly for those engaged in higher degree studies or research. Graduate House is controlled by a Board acting for the Graduate Council, which is the Board of Directors of the Graduate Union, a company limited by guarantee. Graduate House is the principal asset, residential facility and administrative base of the Graduate Union.*

The House Board appoints a Warden, and other staff. The Warden is responsible to the Board for the good order and discipline of the House, and for bringing to its notice all matters which will lead to its improvement and further development.

The terrace of seven Victorian houses has been developed in successive stages (in 1962, 1965 and 1971), and now houses approximately 40 postgraduate residential members on a "dinner, bed and breakfast" basis. It also provides a corporate centre for the entire Graduate Union mem- bership by way of dining-room, common-rooms, library and other facilities for public and pri- vate entertainment. Graduate House had been conducted as a University-controlled hall of residence, but in 1972 the Council of the University granted full affiliation to the whole Gradu- ate Union as a College of the University having both residential and non-residential members.

Provision is also made for a small number of short-term visiting academics, scholars and gradu- ates. An Annexe caters for a further 18 or so residents, offering more basic facilities and evening meal only. Residents come from all states and from overseas, and the atmosphere is one of cul- tural as well as academic sharing.

ELIGIBILITY FOR ADMISSION

While the House Board has wide powers to admit any class of graduate as a resident, four main categories of admission have been defined:

FULL-TIME CANDIDATES FOR HIGHER DEGREES enjoy the highest priority and their normal tenure is for one year with optional renewal during the currency of their higher studies. Such residents are normally admitted in February or March at the beginning of the research year. So far as possible, a balance is kept between Australian and overseas resi- dents. This category also includes postdoctoral research workers.

RESEARCH VISITORS AND SPECIAL LECTURERS are normally more senior aca- demic or professional visitors (not higher degree candidates) engaged on specific pieces of research in various University departments, teaching hospitals or other research institu- tions in Melbourne. The Board will consider equally workers in the University and other professional or research visitors, such as those sponsored by the Commonwealth Office of Education in connection with the Colombo Plan and other agencies. Normal tenure is three months in the first instance.

ACADEMIC STAFF appointed to the University who at the beginning of their tenure may require temporary accommodation pending more settled domestic arrangements may be admitted for periods up to one month in the first instance.

OTHER VISITORS requiring residence for short periods, and who are members of the Graduate Union, may apply to the Warden to occupy casual vacancies as they occur.

NEW APPLICATIONS

Applications for residence should be made on the appropriate form obtainable from and re-directed to the Warden at Graduate House, 224 Leicester Street, Carlton, Victoria 3053. The telephone number is 347 3428.

*See also 'Graduate Union' in the "Announcements" section of this Calendar.

895

(32)
(33)

Library Digitised Collections

Author/s:

University of Melbourne Title:

University of Melbourne Calendar 1988 Date:

1988

Persistent Link:

http://hdl.handle.net/11343/23432 Terms and Conditions:

Terms and Conditions: Copyright in works deposited in the University of Melbourne Calendar Collection is retained by the copyright owner. The work may not be altered without permission from the copyright owner. Readers may only, download, print, and save electronic copies of whole works for their own personal non-commercial use. Any use that exceeds these limits requires permission from the copyright owner. Attribution is essential when quoting or paraphrasing from these works.;To request permission to adapt, modify or use the works outside of the limits of these terms and conditions, please complete the permission request form at: http://www.unimelb.edu.au/copyright/information/

fastfind/externalrequest.html;For further information about these conditions or requesting permission, please contact the Copyright Office at: http://www.unimelb.edu.au/copyright/

contact.html

References

Related documents

Recently it has been announced that several National Parks located within the Northern Territory, including Litchfield and Nitmiluk National Parks, may be introducing a fee for entry

Attribution is essential when quoting or paraphrasing from these works.;To request permission to adapt, modify or use the works outside of the limits of these terms and conditions,