• No results found

The Residential Colleges of the University - Digitised Collections


Academic year: 2023

Share "The Residential Colleges of the University - Digitised Collections"


Loading.... (view fulltext now)

Full text


The Residential Colleges of the University

The establishment of residential colleges was envisaged from the foundation of the University and their affiliation was expressly provided for in the original Act of Incorporation. The Govern- ment set aside sites for the purpose within the area generally reserved for the University. The first of the colleges, Trinity (an Anglican foundation of 1870), was opened in 1872.

The first Warden of Trinity, Alexander Leeper, quickly built up a comprehensive system of col- lege teaching. This was adopted by other colleges on their foundation, and remains a distinguishing feature of the Melbourne collegiate system. So too, do the large enrolment of non- resident students and the provision of significant college libraries.

The college tutorial system (in which International House also participates) is in general sup- plementary to teaching offered by the University's faculties, and is organized in part on an inter- collegiate basis. Formal links with the University on academic matters are maintained through a Joint Committee of the Academic Board and the Heads of Colleges, and under a Statute of the University (S.2.4.2.), "any teacher in any affiliated college" may be appointed to membership of a faculty. Heads of colleges sit in rotation as co-opted members of the University Council, and play a considerable part in the committee work of the University.

The other three colleges for which sites had been originally reserved were established as follows:

Ormond (Presbyterian foundation, 1870), opened 1881; Queen's (Methodist foundation, 1887), opened 1888; Newman (Roman Catholic foundation, 1916), opened 1918.

A residential hostel for women students was opened by Trinity College in 1886, the first institu- tion of its kind within Australia. Janet Clarke Hall, as it was in due course named, became an independent college in 1961.

University College (private non-denominational foundation, 1936) was opened in 1937 on a site made available by the State Government. From 1937 to 1975 it was known as University Women's College.

St Mary's College, originally a house of residence in Parkville for Catholic women students, obtained full college status in 1965 and moved to a new site made available by Newman College.

St Hilda's College (Methodist-Presbyterian foundation, 1963) opened in 1964 on a site made available by Queen's College.

Whitley College (Baptist foundation) was opened in 1965.

Ridley College, founded in 1910 as a place for the training of Anglican ordinands, and as a hostel for University men, became an affiliated college in 1966.

Graduate House, established by the Graduate Union of the University in 1962 as a postgraduate hall of residence, became an affiliated college in 1972.

All Colleges of the University are now open to both men and women students.



Trinity College


Trinity College occupies that portion of the University Reserve which was granted by the Government of Victoria to the Church of England under the authority of Parliament. The first formal steps towards its establishment were taken in 1853, the College was founded in 1870, the first students were enrolled in 1872, and the College was affiliated with the University in 1876.

The principal founder of the College was the Right Reverend Charles Perry, first Bishop of Melbourne, who named the College for Trinity College, Cambridge, of which he had been a Fellow.

Although an Anglican foundation, the College has always freely admitted non-Anglicans to membership and applies no religious test. Parliament expressly confirmed this policy in the Trinity College Act 1927. The College was incorporated by Parliament through the Trinity College Act 1979.

The oldest building of the College is Leeper, opened in 1872 and intended for "the Provost's Lodge"; it now contains the College offices, the Library and two flats, and its name com- memorates the First Warden. Bishops', the first building designed for student use, was opened in 1878 and named for the first two Bishops of Melbourne, Perry and Moorhouse. Clarke, another residential building containing also a Junior Common Room and a Billiard Room, was built in two stages in 1883 and 1887, and named in gratitude to the two principal contributors to a suc- cessful appeal, Sir William Clarke and his brother Mr. Joseph Clarke. A great benefaction from Mr. John Sutcliffe Horsfall led to the building of the Horsfall Chapel; it was consecrated in 1917 as the chapel of the Holy Trinity. The Dining Hall, originally a simple wooden building, was rebuilt in stone in 1925 and enlarged again in 1955. Behan was opened in 1933 and named for the Second Warden (it was extended in 1963-1964). A Deanery was also built in 1933 and later used as a Warden's Lodge. The First post-war building was a Memorial ("Jeopardy", as it is com- monly called), opened as a war memorial in 1958. A new Warden's Lodge was built in 1960. The most recent student building, Cowan (named for the Third Warden), was built in two stages be- tween 1963 and 1965.

Trinity College now accommodates more than 250 resident students and about 20 College Officers and Tutors. Since 1877 it has also enrolled non-resident students, who attend classes in the College and enjoy other benefits of membership.

In 1883, the College became the first in Australia to offer membership to women students. A women's Hostel was opened in 1886 and the first Janet Clarke Building for women in 1890. The Hostel, known after 1921 as Janet Clarke Hall, was extended in 1927, 1930 and 1956. In 1961 arrangements were completed for the affiliation of Janet Clarke Hall as an independent College of the University and it thereafter ceased to be part of Trinity College. Trinity College has ad- mitted both men and women students to resident and non-resident membership since 1974.

The remarkable tutorial system of the Melbourne Colleges was pioneered in Trinity College.

The first Resident Tutor was appointed in 1876 (J. Winthrop Hackett) and the first endowment for a Lectureship was received in 1893.

The College Library, begun in the earliest days of the College and now known as the Leeper Library, aims to provide a useful working collection for undergraduates in the principal fields of undergraduate study represented in the College. It also contains primary research collections in Theology and Australiana. The Mollison Library of the Diocese of Melbourne is separately housed in Leeper; this collection is mainly theological.

The College has a Theological School, established in 1877 largely as a result of the efforts of the Right Reverend James Moorhouse, second Bishop of Melbourne. Although concerned to train candidates for the Anglican priesthood, its classes are open to any suitably qualified student.

Since 1969 it has formed part of the ecumenical United Faculty of Theology.

The Centenary volume. Perspective of a Century, gives full details of developments and may be purchased from the Librarian.




The names of successive Principals and Wardens of Trinity College will be found elsewhere in this Calendar.

The following information is correct at the time of going to press but interested persons should consult the College office for more recent information.


The Anglican Archbishop of Melbourne WARDEN

The Reverend E. L. Burge, BA Q'ld MA Oxf. & Princ. PhD Prim.


The Reverend P. N. Wellock, BA BEd STh N.Z. PhD Murdoch DIRECTOR OF THEOLOGICAL SCHOOL

The Reverend R. W. A. McKinney, BA BD DPhil Oxf.


Sir (Edward) John Bunting, KBE BA

Emeritus Professor Sir Joseph Terence Burke, KBE MA Hon. DLitt Monash FAHA Sir Roderick Howard Carnegie, BSc MA Oxf MBA Harv.

Charles Manning Hope Clarke, ACMA HonDLitt FAHA FASSA.

Sir Rupert William John Clarke, Bt MBE MA Oxf Robert Winston Humphrey Cripps

Alan Morton Cuthbertson, MB MS FRCS FRACS FACS (John Holmes Shaw Fellow) Professor Peter John Dennison BMus Syd. MA Oxf. & Camb. DPhil Oxf PhD Camb. FRCO.

The Right Reverend James Alexander Grant, BA ThL BD

James Stuart Guest, AM OBE VRD BSc MB BS FRCS Eng. FRACS The Hon. Sir Rupert James Hamer, ED LLM

John Hueston, BA MD MS FRCS FRACS Peter Griffith Jones, MB BS MS FRCS FAAP

Professor John Riddoch Poynter, Chevalier des Palmes Acad6miques MA Oxf BA PhD FAHA FASSA

Robin Lorimer Sharwood, LLM Calif SJD Harv. BA LLB Professor Alan George Lewers Shaw, MA Oxf BA FAHA FASSA The Hon. Sir Reginald Richard Sholl, MA BCL Oxf MA

The Right Reverend Sir Frank Woods, KBE DD Lambeth MA Camb. Hon. LLD Monash DIRECTOR OF M U S I C

Professor P.J. Dennison, BMus Syd. MA Oxf & Camb. DPhil Oxf PhD Camb. FRCO.



Agriculture: N. Warwick, BHortSc Massey DipSc Massey Biochemistry: C. Troiani, BSc Monash

Biology: M. Deacon, BSc LaT.

Chemistry: C. McKenzie, BSc

Geology: N. Warwick, BHortSc Massey DipSc Massey ARTS

Chinese: X. Wang, BSc Beijing

Classical Studies: M. Thawley, BA ANU Criminology: G. Rogers, BA LaT. DipCrim English: W. Tonetto, BA

Fine Arts: A. Trumble, BA; T. Lindsey French: D. Kemp, MA Dip Ed LaT.

German: M. Thawley, BA ANU Greek: M. Thawley, BA ANU History: S. McFarlane Indonesian: T. Lindsey

Italian: A. Mackie, MA Auck. DipLit & Lang Perugia 852



Japanese: M. Nakahara, BA RMIT Linguistics: P. Kipka, BSc BA Philosophy: N. Yeo, BA

Politics: M. Wooldridge, BSc MB BS Psychology: M. Wooldridge, BSc MB BS


Accounting: S. Phillipson

Commercial Law: B. Fitzgerald, LLB Economics: M. Hayward, BCom


Chemistry: C. McKenzie BSc Introduction: P. Knights; N. Holder Mathematics: D. Baird, PhD Physics: S. Koutsoliotas, BSc


Company Law: R. Dean, BSc LLB Monash LLM MA Camb.

Contracts: R. Dean, BSc LLB Monash LLM MA Camb.

Constitutional & Administrative Law: B. Steele, BA LLB Criminal Law: K. Esser, BA LLB

Legal Process: B. Steele, BA LLB Property: C. Horsfall, LLB BCom Trusts: M. Keeley, BA LLB


Anatomy: J. Smith, MB BS FRACS; A. Visioli, MB BS Biochemistry: C. Troiani, BSc Monash

Biology: J. Donald, BSc

Chemistry: C. Troiani, BSc Monash Genetics: R. Sanderman, BSc ANU

Gynaecology: L. Reti, MB BS FRACOG MRCOG

Medicine: I. Kronborg MB BS FRACP; P. De Crespigny, MB BS FRACP; I. McKenzie, MB BS FRACP; L.J. Norton, MB BS FRACP; M. Luxton, MB BS MD FRACP FACC Microbiology: R. Kiddle, BSc DipEd

Neuroscience: P. Dohrmann, MB BS FRACS Neurosurgery: D. Brownbill, MB BS FRACS

Obstetrics: M. Sedgley, MB BS Monash MRCOB FRACOB Ophthalmology: A. Brooks, MB BS MD FRACO FRACS FRACP Orthopaedics: P. Curwen-Walker, MB BS FRCS FRACS

Paediatric Medicine: I. Mclntyre, MB BS MRCP Paediatric Surgery: P. Jones, MB MS FRCS FAAP

Pathology: B. Wadham, MB BS DCP Lond. FRCPA FRCPath Pharmacology: D. Taylor, BSc PhD

Physics: P. Robinson, MB BS MSc; G. Robinson, BSc PhD Psychology: M. Wooldridge, BSc MB BS

Physiology: R. Nicholson, MB BS BSc

Plastic Surgery: J. Hueston, BA MD MS FRCS FRACS; W. Wilson, MB BS FRACS Renal Medicine: J. Whitworth, MB BS MD PhD FRACP

Surgery: B. Hong, MB BS FRACS; R. Milne MB BS FRCS FRACS; J. Collins, MB BS FRACS FACS; A. Cuthbertson, MB MS FRCS FRACS FACS (John Holmes Shaw Fellow);


Urology: D. Kennedy, MB BS FRCS FRACS Vascular Surgery: P. Field, MB BS FRACS


Music: J. McDonald, BA


Biology: M. Deacon, BSc LaT.

Chemistry: C. McKenzie, BSc Genetrics: M. Deacon, BSc LaT.

Mathematics: D. Morley, BSc; M. Brazil Physics: S. Koutsoliotas, BSc





Agronomy: N. Warwick, BHortSc Massey DipSc Massey Biology: M. Deacon, BSc LaT.

Biochemistry: C. Troiani, BSc Monash Chemistry: C. McKenzie, BSc Physics: G. Robinson, BSc PhD


The Warden; The Director of the Theological School; The Chaplain; The Rev. S. A. H. Ames, BD ETS BSc PhD; The Right Reverend J. A. Grant, BA BD; The Rev. John Davis, BA DipEd Adel. MA McMaster


Mrs. E. Clarke, BA DipEd ALA



There is regular tuition throughout the year by resident and non-resident tutors in a wide range of University subjects. College Tutors are always available to give informal assistance and ad- vice. The tutorial system is arranged in consultation with the University and other Colleges.

Trinity theological students (resident and non-resident) study for the degrees of the Melbourne College of Divinity within the Parkville United Faculty of Theology. There is at present no Faculty or Department of Theology within the University itself.

The College Library (the Leeper Library) provides a useful working collection in the principal fields of undergraduate study, together with specialist research collections.


Applications are welcomed from students in their second and later University years (including graduate students) as well as from those entering the University for the first time. Early enquiry is advisable.


While applications are welcomed from students in all Faculties, it may be necessary to decline an application because the class in a particular subject is full. Non-resident students will not normally be admitted except for the whole year.

Non-resident students may use the College Library and may take meals in Hall. Charges for meals may be ascertained from the College Office.

Non-resident students may join the Trinity College Associated Clubs by paying terminal subscriptions. This entitles them to use the Junior Common Room and related facilities, to take part in the activities of various College societies and to use College sporting facilities.

COLLEGE FEES (a) Residents:

Application Fee (payable on application for admission) $10 Enrolment Fee (payable only on first being admitted) $300 Caution Money (balance refunded on request on leaving) $100 Annual Fees for residence during the three College terms (payable in three

instalments) $4,247 Charge for residence outside College terms, excluding period when kitchen

is closed (per day) bed and breakfast only $13.00 Charge for residence outside College terms when kitchen is closed (per day) $8.00

The annual fee and charges for residence outside term-time do not include week-day luncheons.

Luncheons vouchers at $2.50 each may be purchased from the College office.

Four weeks' fees must be paid if a resident goes out of College during the course of a year without giving due notice. (An allowance will be made if the place is taken by another.) The only additional recurring charge for all residents is for membership of the College Clubs ($72, payable in three equal instalments).




Special arrangements are made for authorized absences of one week or more during Term and for medical students in the later years of their courses.

(b) Non-Residents:

Application Fee (payable on application for admission) $10

Registration Fee $20 Caution Money (balance refunded on leaving) $50

Tuition Fee (payable at the beginning of the Academic Year or, with permission, in three instalments).

for theological students $ 1,400

for medical students (fifth and sixth years) $250

for others (per subject) $75 COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIP AND MUSIC AWARDS

The College offers an unspecified number of scholarships to students in all years of University courses, for a year at a time.

Major Scholarships are for $400 per annum, and Minor Scholarships, $200. In cases of need these amounts may be supplemented by additional bursary assistance.

Entrance Scholarships are offered to students entering first-year courses who gain excellent results in the Higher School Certificate Examination (or equivalent), demonstrate superior ability in a special Scholarship Examination held each year in October, and are recommended by their schools.

Senior Scholarships are awarded on the basis of results achieved in University courses the previous year. Senior Students entering College for the first time who wish to be considered for a Scholarship must apply in writing to the Dean and enclose details of their previous academic record.

Special Scholarships are available to the sons and daughters of Anglican clergymen of the Dioceses of Melbourne and Wangaratta.

Theological Studentships valued up to $1,000 per annum are available to ordination candidates who are sponsored by their diocesan bishops.

An Organ Scholarship of $900 per annum is offered. The duties of the Organ Scholar are to assist in the maintenance of the choir of Trinity College principally in accompanying choral services, to play the organ for other services in the chapel as directed by the Warden or the Chaplin, and to stimulate the playing and appreciation of music within the College.

Choral Exhibitions. The College offers twenty Choral Exhibitions, open both to College residents and to students who are not resident. Choral exhibitioners, of whom there are six sopranos, four altos, four tenors and six basses, make up the Trinity College Choir. Further details may be had from the Warden.


Applicants for resident membership are urged to lodge their applications by early November in the year prior to that of their proposed admission, even if at that date their applications must be provisional only.

For Application Forms, Scholarship Entry Forms and any further information apply to the Warden, Trinity College, Parkville, Victoria 3052.



Janet Clarke Hall


Janet Clarke Hall provides residence, supplementary education and corporate life for members of the University. It has accommodation for men and women, and flats for single and married tutors.

Janet Clarke Hall, first known as Trinity College Hostel, began in 1886 as the first women's col- lege in Australia. It was founded by Dr Alexander Leeper and remained part of Trinity College until 1961 when it became independent.

The first building opened in 1891 was named after Janet Lady Clarke, by whose generosity it was erected. A bequest of the late Mr W. T. Manifold enabled the Manifold Wing to be added in 1927. The building was further enlarged in 1930 with the opening of the Traill Wing, named after the principal donor. Since then, the Enid Joske Wing was completed in 1956 and the Lilian Scantlebury Wing in 1962. Extensive modernization was carried out from 1965 to 1975.

There are 80 undergraduate and 14 postgraduate students in residence.


The Anglican Archbishop of Melbourne.


Phyllis A. Fry, BSc Syd. MSc W.A.


Assistant to the Principal: Trevor Andrews, BSc Director of Studies: John Roberts, BSc

Librarian: Louisa Baggaley, BA Biology: Joanne Noble, BSc Chemistry: Mark Fisher, BSc Computer Science: Robert Sweetten Engineering: William Hunter, BE

English and History: Margaret Parnaby, BA PhD Law: Robert Williams, LLB

Mathematics: John Roberts, BSc

Psychology: David Pereira, BA; Keiran McPhee, BA FELLOWS OF JANET CLARKE HALL

Yvonne Aitken, DAgrSc; Eva G. Eden, AM PhD Camb. MSc Hon LLD; Enid Alice Emmer- son, LLB: Margaret Henderson, OBE MD MRCP FRACP; Helen E. Knight MA Camb. PhD Lond.; Olive Wykes, BA MEd PhD.


Weekly tutorials are held in a range of first year subjects. Where the College does not provide tutorials, arrangements are made to attend one of the neighbouring colleges.


Resident Students: A $10 fee is charged at the time of application. Enrolment fee is $25. Residents are charged $123 per week, lunches included. Students are normally expected to remain in residence a minimum of 29 weeks, making the annual charge $3,567. Students may spend some vacation time in College.

The College office will supply details of the special rates for tutors living in flats.

Non-resident students are also accepted, and are encouraged to become active members of the College. They must use all College facilities during the day, and fees include one free meal a week. Other meals may be taken at the current rates. Non-resident students are welcome to stay in College when a temporary vacancy occurs. Non-resident students are charged $270 for the year and students having tutorials only in a single subject $80.




These are available for graduates and undergraduates. The value of a minor scholarship is $330 and of a major $550 ($80 and $200 for non-resident students). These may be supplemented by further amounts in case of financial need. Scholarships are awarded on the results of the Higher School Certificate or University Examination results.


Further information and application forms may be obtained from the Principal, Janet Clarke Hall, Royal Parade, Parkville 3052. (Phone 347 2208.) Arrangements can be made for visitors to be shown over the College.



Ormond College


Ormond College occupies the site, adjoining that of Trinity College, reserved by the Govern- ment of Victoria and offered to the Presbyterian Church of Victoria for the founding of a residen- tial college "of and within the University of Melbourne". In November 1877, that Church de- cided to found such a College, and appointed eight trustees and eight other representatives of the Church to give effect to the decision. In October 1878, Mr Francis Ormond offered to increase an original promise to £10,000, provided that a total of £20,000 were raised for the building of the College. With acceptance of this generous offer was associated the naming of the College;

and the first Council of the College was appointed, by the addition to the original committee of eight representatives of subscribers. The foundation stone was laid by His Excellency the Gover- nor of Victoria (the Marquis of Normanby) on 14th November, 1879. The original building was the present main front of the College, Mr Ormond making special provision for the clock tower.

John Henry MacFarland*, Master of Arts of Queen's College, Belfast, and of St. John's College, Cambridge, was appointed Master of the College—which was formally opened by His Excel- lency the Governor on 18th March, 1881. At the opening ceremony it was intimated that Mr Ormond had made "the splendid and generous offer to bear the whole cost of the building of the College". In 1881, Mr Ormond expressed his ambition to go on enlarging the College with the hope of seeing "150 or, at any rate, 100 students lodged within its walls".

In 1885, the South-West Wing and a temporary Dining-Hall were opened by Mrs Ormond. The original Victoria Wing (facing north-east) was opened in the year 1889.

On 5th May, 1889, the Hon. Francis Ormond died. Up to that date, he had contributed over

£40,000 to the founding of the College; and his testamentary dispositions increased the total of his benefactions to the College to upwards of £100,000-partly direct bequest, and partly residuary.

The College Hall (with domestic quarters adjoining) and the Master's Lodge were then added, and came into use in 1893.

Immediately after the First World War, steps were taken to complete the main College building-so as to include the MacFarland Memorial Library, f and a Students' Common Room with equal floor space. The new buildings were officially opened by His Excellency the Gover- nor of Victoria (the Earl of Stradbroke) on 23rd May, 1922. After that date the College was able to accommodate about 135 resident students.

On the death of Sir John MacFarland (22nd July, 1935), the College became the residuary legatee of his estate-from which it eventually benefited by about £25,000 (including upwards of £8,000 received for Foundation Scholarships in 1932).

Other substancial benefactions, since the foundation of the College, are not expressly named in this brief historical note.

From the beginning, the policy was adopted of placing no conditions but those of good character and adequate scholarship upon membership of the College.

The College provides "accommodation for the efficient conducting of the Theological Hall" of the Church, whose students may be resident members of the College. The Theological Hall is independently financed; in particular, part of a bequest of £30,000 from John Dickson Wyselaskie provided, in 1887, the Wyselaskie Building, which now includes four residences for theological professors. A further residence for this purpose was built in 1929.

* Subsequently, Sir John MacFarland, Chancellor of the University.

•(•Dr MacFarland (as he was then) had retired from the Mastership at the end of 1914.




With the building of a new Master's Lodge in 1958 and the conversion of the old Lodge into students' quarters an additional twenty students were accommodated. In 1961 a new wing (Picken Court) was built to accommodate some 92 students and 6 tutors.

A seven-storey residential building (McCaughey Court) was opened in 1968, accommodating 48 Undergraduates, 20 Tutors and Fellows, and Visiting Academic Guests. The College acquired four houses in 1984, bringing the total number in residence in Ormond to 350.


The Hon. Sir George Lush, LLM.


D. H. Parker, MA Auck. MLitt Oxf


K. R. Jackson, BA Oxf. PhD Prin.


D. A. Brown, BTheol MCD MA Durh. BA.


K. Miran-Khan, BMedSc MB BS.


A. J. Wall, MD MRACP.


R. Siemienowicz, MB BS FRACC.


Professor C. Howard, LLM Lond. PhD Adel. LLD; Professor B. J. McKellar, BSc PhD Syd DSc FInstP FAIP FAPS; A. Lascelles, PhD Syd. MVSc FAVSc.


Dr P. C. Birrell, Psychology, University of New South Wales; Miss H. K. Jex, Mathematics, Brighton Polytechnic; Professor J. H. Schulz, Downing Fellow in Economics, Brandeis Univer- sity; Professor R. Perlman, Economics, University of Wisconsin; Professor J. M. Picker, Law, Cleveland State University; Professor S. Picker, Law, Case Western Reserve University; Pro- fessor M. Scadron, Physics, University of Arizona; Professor D. J. Galligan, Law, University of Southampton; Mr A. M. Tettenborn, Law, Pembroke College, Cambridge; Dr C. Elliott, G. E.

M. Scott Fellow, University of Bristol; Professor P. Rieff, Sociology, University of Penn- sylvania; Dr W. H. Brock, Victorian Studies, University of Leicester.


Architecture: G. L. Hutchinson, DPhil Oxf MEngSci (Director of Studies); J. W. Bate, BArch, ARAIA.

Arts: K. R. Jackson, BA Oxf. PhD Prin. (Director of Studies); J. E. Campbell, BA; M. A. Cap- ling, MA Calg.; S. P Carmody, MA Tor. BA; P. G. C. Darby, DPhil Oxf LLB MA; J. Ekkel, BA; B. T. Fenner, BA; C. T. Fisher, BA Lond. MA Wash. PhD Mich.; E. K. Gott, BA; N. O.

Haslam, BA; J. J. Hoorn-Braunshausen, BA NSW DipEd Syd MA UCal, Berk.; M. B.

Mantello, BA DipEd; J. A. Mead, BA ANU MA; P. Mead, BA ANU MA LaT. DipEd; L. J.

O'Neill, PhD Camb. MA; Packovic, MA Yale BPhil Oxf DSc Belgrade; R. J. Zatorski, MA.

Commerce: D. C. Lansley, DipEd MEc Syd. (Director of Studies); P. F. E. Hutchinson, BA Lond. ACA; A. P. Rothfield, BSc.

Dental Science: R. Siemienowicz, MB BS FRACS (Director of Studies).

Engineering: G. L. Hutchinson, DPhil Oxf MEngSc (Director of Studies); A. J. Dunster, BEng;

A. Linden, BSc.

Law: J. M. Sharpe, LLB Qld. LLM Mon. (Director of Studies); R. S. Lancy, LLM Yale &

Melb.; A. Lansley, BJuris NSW LLB ANU.

Medicine: A. J. Wall, MD MRACP (Director of Studies, Clinical Medicine); R. Siemienowicz, MB BS FRACS (Director of Studies, Pre-Clinical Medicine); J. A. Donald, BSc; J. A. M. Gall, BSc Qld. PhD; G. J. Lieschke, BMedSc MB BS (RMO); H. G. Mack, BMedSci MB BS (RMO);

D. Paix, GradDip SAIT MSc Syd

Music: R. D. Lawrence, TPTC MMus (Master of the Chapel Music); S. E. Mclntyre, BA (Musician in Residence); G. J. Ekkel, BA.

Science: R. C. Warner, BSc PhD (Director of Studies); G. Braunshausen, DipPhys Heidelberg; J.

A. Donald, BSc; D. Dutta, MB BS Vellore; A. Linden, BSc; M. A. Logan, BSc; P. J. Rayner, BSc; T. Smith, BSc.




Veterinary Science: R. C. Warner, BSc PhD (Director of Studies); J. A. Donald, BSc; A. Linden, BSc; D. Paix, DHAM SA MSc Syd


The College offers tutorials in a large number of university subjects. These tutorials, which sup- plement university teaching, are open to resident and non-resident students.


Early application is encouraged, but candidates may submit applications for residence at any stage of the year.


Registration Fee (Office charge, payable on application for admission) $10

Enrolment Fee (payable on admission) $50 Annual Fee for Residence-Undergraduates-for 31 weeks $3960

The above fees cover the College charges for residence during the period of the three College terms (see below). For authorized residence at other times during the academic year the charge is

$12.00 per day.

The above fees cover the College charges for residence and tuition during the following periods of the year 1986:

First Term—Sunday, March 2 to Saturday, May 10 (10 weeks) Second Term—Sunday, June 1 to Saturday, August 9 (10 weeks)

Third Term—Sunday, August 31 to Friday, November 14 (11 weeks)

The only additional recurring charge is membership of the Students' Club $65 p.a. payable to the Club.

College fees are paid in three equal instalments. Accounts are rendered to resident students early in each term, and have to be paid within a stipulated time. If they are not so paid, an interest charge is added to them.


Members of the University may become non-resident members of the College and take part in College tutorials. Fees and other information may be obtained from the College tutorial office.


An examination for resident scholarships and non-resident exhibitions, open to students entering the University in the following year, is held annually. These scholarships and exhibitions are, in general, free of all restrictions.

Any student already in attendance at the University, who wishes to be elected to a College scholarship or exhibition, is requested to communicate with the Master. In such cases the award is based chiefly upon the the student's University record.


A Scholarship to mark the Centenary of the College, in 1981, was first offered for the 1982 academic year and is to be offered each year thereafter.

The Ormond College Centenary Scholarship will provide for one year in residence in Ormond College in the University of Melbourne without payment of College fees.

The Ormond College Centenary Scholarship will be awarded for outstanding academic merit.

Men and women who have, or who expect to obtain an undergraduate place in the University of Melbourne and who will be freshmen to Ormond College are considered for the Ormond College Centenary Scholarship.

If in any given year, no candidate for the Ormond College Centenary Scholarship is judged by the College to be worthy of its award, the College may decide not to award the Scholarship in that year, and may award more than one Scholarship in the following year.

If, in any given year, the College should find it difficult to decide between the relative claims of two or more candidates for the Ormond College Centenary Scholarship, the Scholarship shall be awarded to that candidate who, in the judgement of the College, is most in need of financial support.





For further information as to residence and tuition, or as to scholarships and exhibitions, applica- tion should be made to the Master, Ormond College, Parkville, Victoria 3052.



Queen's College


Queen's College is built on the portion of the University Reserve granted to the Methodist Church by the Government of Victoria. It was not until 1878 that the Conference resolved to avail itself of the reserve and took the first steps towards building the College. Through the efforts of the Reverend William Abraham Quick, regarded as the founder of the College, it was possible to lay the foundation stone on 16th June, 1887. This ceremony was performed by His Excellency the Governor of Victoria, Sir Henry Brougham Loch. The year 1887 being the jubilee of Queen Victoria's accession to the throne, the College was named Queen's College. The College opened on 14th March, 1888, with a total of 18 students. The first Master, the Rev. Dr.

E. H. Sugden, held office for 40 years.

In 1889 extension of the building became necessary, and on 2nd April, 1890, the enlarged buildings, which included the Dining Hall and 26 rooms, were opened by Sir Matthew Davies.

In 1905 further additions were made to the building, and again in 1910 when the eastern facade was completed.

After the First World War, the pressure upon the accommodation of the College was such that further extension became necessary. Largely through the advocacy and generous support of Mr.

J. T. Tweddle, the central tower and a new wing (which bears his name) on the north side of the College were completed in 1923, at a cost of over £50,000, and were opened by Mr. W. T.

Hattam. In 1930 a science laboratory was built through the generosity of Messrs A. M. and G.

R. Nicholas.

Since 1958 the College has been engaged in a building and renovation programme which has ex- panded and improved the facilities of the College. The "Raynor C. Johnson" wing was built in two stages, the first being opened by the Prime Minister (Rt. Hon. R. G. Menzies) in 1960, and the second in 1968. A new dining hall (Eakins Hall) and kitchen block were completed in 1964, and Kernick House, a block of flats for married students was built in 1975. In 1969 the College began a programme of renovation of the rooms and services in the old wings, providing comfort- able single bedroom studies of a comparable standard to the Johnson Wing. These renovations were completed in 1979. The old Science Laboratories have been converted and renovated as a recreational centre providing music practice rooms, a T.V. room, a party room and kitchenettes, and a billiard room. The College is celebrating its centenary in 1987 with a new library building scheduled for completion in 1986.

Queen's College is governed by a Council of 28 members responsible to the Victorian Synod of the Uniting Church, and is composed of representatives of the Church, the University, the Fellows and Tutors, and present and past members of the College. In academic matters the Master is advised by the Fellows of the College, academically distinguished former members of the College elected unanimously by the Fellows Meeting. Queen's College has been traditionally a male college, but from 1973 it has accepted enrolments from both men and women students.

The College has always been open to both resident and non-resident students without regard to their religious beliefs.


Professor G. N. Blainey, AO MA.


George Anderson MacDonald Scott, BSc Glas. BA Monash PhD Wales (From 1st July, 1986)


J. W. Clarke, BA DipEd DipSocStud DipPsych


Professor G. N. Blainey, AO MA; Sir Halford Cook, OBE PhD Kansas MA; The Hon. Sir Richard Eggleston, LLB; N. M. Harry, MB BS FRCS FRACS; Professor E.S.R. Hughes, CBE MD MS FRCS FRACS FACS; Professor J. E. Isaac, PhD Lond. BCom; A. R. M. Johnson, BEE BMechE BSc FIEA; R. C. Johnson, MA Oxf. PhD DSc Lond. & Melb; Professor R. L.




Martin, MSc PhD ScD Camb. FAA FRICS FRACI; Professor J. W. McCarty, PhD Camb.

BCom; I. H. McConchie, MB MS FRACS; Professor D. G. Penington, MA DM BCh Oxf FRCP FRACP FRCPA; Professor W. A. G. Scott, BLitt Oxf BA; Professor Emeritus Sir Roy Douglas Wright, AK DSc A.N.U. & Melb. Hon.LLD A.N.U & Melb. MB MS FRACP.




I. G. Manning, PhD A.N.U. BCom



English: Vida Russell, BA BPhil Oxf DipEd Adel.

French: Rhys Bezzant German: Rhys Bezzant

Philosophy: John R. Howes, MA Oxf. & Melb. PhD Politics: David Campbell, BA

Psychology: Vicki Anderson, MA; Michael Symons, BA Commerce:

Accounting: D. Glenn Sedgwick, BCom Deakin Economics: Ian G. Manning, -PhD A.N.U. BCom Statistical Method: Ian G. Manning, PhD A.N.U. BCom Engineering

Chemistry: Carolyn Rolls, BSc

Introduction to Engineering: Patrick Kee, BEng

Mathematics: Patrick Kee, BEng;Trevor Waechter, BEng MSc Adel. PhD Camb. FIMA Physics: W. Hamilton, BA BSc


Contracts: P. Ehrlich, BA LLB Adel.

Criminal Law: G. Green, LLB Legal Process: G. Green, LLB

Torts: P. Ehrlich, BA LLB Adel.


Anatomy: Christopher Hogan, BSc Biochemistry: Kathleen Curnow, BSc Biology: Robert Smith, BScEd BSc Chemistry: Carolyn Rolls, BSc

Medicine: Neil Strathmore, MSc MB BS Microbiology: Georgina Clark, BSc

Obstetrics & Gynaecology: T. R. Eggers, MB BS MRCOG FAGO FRACOG Paediatrics: J. McGill, MB BS

Pathology: Gayle Jones, BSc PhD Pharmacology: Mark Nelson, BSc Physics: Timothy Darling, BSc Physiology: Christopher Hogan, BSc Surgery: Peter Little, MB BS FRACS Music

Peter Chaplin, MMus Science

Biochemistry: Kathleen Curnow, BSc Biology: Robert Smith, BScEd BSc Chemistry: Carolyn Rolls, BSc

Mathematics: Andrew Davies, BSc; Trevor Waechter, BEng MSc Adel. PhD Camb. FIMA Physics: W:lliam Hamilton, BA BSc

Physiology: Christopher Hogan, BSc Veterinary Science

Biochemistry: Kathleen Curnow, BSc Chemistry: Andrew Bray, BSc Physics: Timothy Darling, BSc





Tutorials are held in the College and the College participates in the inter-collegiate tutorial pro- gramme, thus making available tutorial assistance in most subjects for which students enrol.

These tutorials are supplementary, and not alternative, to University lectures and tutorials.

Enrolment by non-resident male and female students is encouraged RESIDENT SCHOLARSHIPS AND BURSARIES

Resident scholarships to the value of approximately $25,000 and non-resident exhibitions valued at $130 are given each year. Some of these are awarded on the basis of the scholarship examina- tion held in November each year. This is intended for those who are coming up from school and proposing to start a university course in the following March. The remainder are awarded in February at a meeting of the Fellows of the College. These awards are based upon the honours results obtained in the University annual examinations. All enrolled resident or non-resident students of the College are regarded automatically as candidates, together with any students out- side the College who wish their University results to be considered for a scholarship or exhibition.

Some scholarships are restricted in their award by the terms of the endowment. Keith Macartney Scholarships are restricted to students enrolled in the faculty of Arts. The A. J. Roberts Scholar- ship ($500 p.a.) to students from Wesley College, the E. J. Smart Scholarship ($500) and the Howard Hitchcock Scholarships to students from the Geelong College.

Scholarships and exhibitions are awarded for a year only, but a student may be re-elected year by year throughout the student's University course to a scholarship of the same or different value.

Resident scholarships are paid in three equal instalments by way of deduction from the first, second and third terms' fees.


Rooms are allotted to resident students in order of seniority, subject in each case to the Master's approval. The rooms are furnished with essential furniture, but students must bring their own sheets, pillow cases and towels (four of each).


Resident Students: Non-resident Students:

Registration Fee $10 Registration Fee $10 Enrolment Fee $30 Enrolment Fee $10 Caution Money $75 Annual Fee for one subject $105

Sports and Social Club Fee $54 Each additional subject $95 Annual Fee $3933 Three subjects or more $260 The College Council reserves the right to review the matter at the end of each term.

The enrolment fee of $30 is payable by all resident students upon joining the College. This is placed upon the first terminal account.

The above fees cover all College charges for residence, tuition, board, etc. during College terms.

Residence in College outside the College terms requires permission from the Master. A vacation charge at the rate of $18 per day will be made for the period of residence outside that covered by the College terms.

Where, as in the clinical years of the Medical course, the period of hospital residence may in- volve absence during the College terms, an allowance of $63.50 per week for such period will be made. An adjustment will also be made for prolonged absence through illness.

A term's notice is required of a student's intention to leave College during the course of the year, unless there are exceptional circumstances.


For further information as to residence and tuition, or as to scholarships and exhibitions, applica- tion should be made to the Master, Queen's College, Parkville, Victoria 3052.



Newman College


Newman College is built in the section of the University Reserve granted by the Government of Victoria to the Catholic Church in the Crown Grant of 2nd October, 1882. The foundation stone was laid by the Archbishop of Melbourne (the Most Reverend Thomas Joseph Carr, D.D.), on Pentecost Sunday, 11th. June, 1916. It was founded by the generosity of the Catholic people of the State of Victoria, stimulated by the gift of £30,000 for bursaries from Thomas Donovan, Esquire, of Edgecliffe, Sydney, New South Wales, and cost over £90,000. The first section of the building was designed by Walter Burley Griffin and features a magnificent dining rotunda. The Chapel was added just before the Second World War and after the war additional building programmes doubled the accommodation for students so that today the College pro- vides for an enrolment of 225 undergraduates and graduates.

The Library, which consists of more than 25,000 volumes, comprises the valuable collections of W. L. Bowditch, Esquire; Rev. Patrick O'Reilly; Rev. E. J. Kelly, D.D.; and John McMahon, Esquire. It has been enriched by the addition of the Bevan collection of Australian books, the O'Donnell collection of Irish books, and the Hackett collection.


The Most Reverend Sir Thomas Francis Little, KBE STD.


The Very Reverend Brian John Fleming, SJ DHistSci Louvain MA.


The Reverend Gerard Healy, SJ BSc BTh DipEd MACE


The Reverend Desmond Patrick O'Connor, SJ BA LLB Syd.



English: H. Neilson, BA

Ethics: J. E. Begley, SJ PhD Greg. MA Philosophy: J. E. Begley, SJ PhD Greg. MA Political Science: G. Barns, BA LLB Commerce

Economics: P. Cashin, BCom

Commercial Law A: B. Mueller, BA LLB Accounting A: W. Lang, BCom


Eng. Physics 1: C. Nash, BSc; G. Baxter, BSc Eng. Chemistry: B. Abrahams, BSc

Eng. Maths 1: A. Larkin, BSc MEd

Intro, to Eng. 1: B. Gregg, BE MEngSc PhD Mechanics of Solids: B. Gregg, BE MEngSc PhD Eng. Maths 2: A. Larkin, BSc MEd


Legal Process: D. Whiting, LLB BCom Criminal Law: G. Barns, BA LLB Torts: B. Mueller, BA LLB

Con. & Admin. Law: N. Green, BA LLB Property: D. Whiting, LLB BCom Contracts: J. Glover, BA LLB BCL Oxf.

Trusts: G. Lester, BA LLB

Litigation: S. McNicol, BA LLB BCL Oxf.




Securities: T. O'Connor, LLB Taxation: A. McNicol, LLB BCom Medicine

Biology: T. Stranks, BSc

Physics: G. Baxter, BSc; G. Healy, SJ BSc BTh DipEd MACE Chemistry: B. Abrahams, BSc

Histology/Embryology: J. Manderson, BSc Behavioural Studies: A. Churchill, BA Biochemistry: T. Heaney, BSc PhD Anatomy: A. Little, MB BS Physiology: A. Little, MB BS Histology: R. Canale, BSc Pathology: G. Jones, BSc PhD Microbiology: N. Vardaxis, BSc

Metabolism & End: C. Wright, MB BS Science:

Chemistry: L. Bennett, BSc

Physics: G. Baxter, BSc; S. Long, BSc Biology: N. Vardaxis, BSc; T. Stranks, BSc Maths: C. Nash, BSc; C. Livingston, BSc Psychology: A. Churchill, BA


Tutorials are open to all students, men and women, resident and non-resident. Details of tutorials can be obtained from the Dean of Studies.


A number of scholarships and bursaries are available. For details, apply to the Rector.

COLLEGE FEES (exclusive of University Fees) (a) Resident Undergraduate Students

Entrance Fee $20 Fee for Residence per year $3477

Medical attention and students' Club fees are special charges. Linen is provided by the College but personal laundry is the student's own responsibility.

The fee for residence covers the three College terms set out below.

For residence outside College terms the charge is $15 per day.

Fees are paid in three equal instalments, but the fee for residence assumes that a student is in residence for the entire year.

(b) Resident Graduate Students (both Men and Women)

Graduate students are also accommodated within the College and should apply to the Rector for information about available accommodation.

(c) Non-resident Students (Men and Women)

Enrolment Fee $5

Tutorial Fee for the year ;. . . $80 per subject


For further information as to residence and tuition, or as to scholarhips, bursaries and ex- hibitions, application should be made to the Rector, Newman College, Parkville, Victoria 3052.



St Mary's College


St Mary's College was established in 1918 as an annexe to Newman College and was known as St Mar/s Hall, a residence for Catholic women university students. It was located on a site at some distance from the University in The Avenue, Parkville and provided accommodation for ten students.

With the growing need for more accommodation, a new Catholic women's College was built in 1965 between Newman College and the University, on land which was part of the section of the University reserve generously granted to the Catholic Church by the Government of Victoria in 1882, the land being designated for this purpose by the courtesy of the Archbishop of Melbourne. The present College was opened in 1966 as an independent College directly affiliated by Statute to the University of Melbourne with accommodation for 90 students. With the addition of the North Wing in 1969 and the West Wing in 1973, the College was finally com- pleted. Two outstanding features of the beautiful Georgian style building are the Library and the Chapel, the latter an example of the incomparable craftmanship of Schulim Krimper.

The College has traditionally been a women's College but from 1977 it has accepted enrolments from both men and women students. It provides accommodation for 158 residents comprising graduate and undergraduate students and tutors.


The Most Reverend Sir Thomas Francis Little, KBE STD.


The Reverend Sister Jane Kelly, IBVM BA DipEd DipPastTheol Heythrop Lond. MACE.


Accounting A: Mr Peter Anthonsen, LLB BCom Biology: Mr Gary Anderson, BSc

Chemistry: Mr Mark Looney, BSc Computer Science: Mr John Campbell, BSc Criminal Law: Mr Shane Kirne, BA LLB

Commercial Law A: Mr Peter Anthonsen, LLB BCom English: Miss Maria Koundoura, BA

Economics: Mr Paul Cashin, BCom

Fine Arts: Dr Emma Devapriam, PhD Cleveland Legal Process: Mr Shane Kirne, BA LLB Mathematics: Mr Rod Ryan, BSc

Pharmaceutics: Miss Irene Cheah, BPharm Physics: Mr Roger Rassool, BSc

Physiology: Miss Irene Cheah, BPharm Psychology: Ms Heather Gibb, BA Statistics: Mr John Campbell, BSc COLLEGE TUITION

Tutorials are provided by the College with the object of assisting students with their University work. These are supplementary and not alternative to University tutorials.

Tutorials are open to all students, men and women, resident and non-resident.


Applications are welcomed from students in their second and later University years as well as from those entering the University for the first time.




COLLEGE FEES (exclusive of University fees) Resident Students:

Registration fee (payable on application for admission) $10 Entrance fee (includes $2 nomination fee for Students Club) $30

Fee for Residence and Tuition for 31 weeks $3435 Vacation charge (for residence outside College Terms) (per day) $14

Residence fees cover the three College terms.

Fees are paid in three equal instalments, but the fee for residence assumes that a student is in residence for the entire year.

Non-Resident Students:

Enrolment Fee $10 Tutorial Fee, per subject $75


A number of scholarships will be awarded annually for resident students and some bursaries are also available.


For further information concerning residence and tutorials, application should be made to the Principal, St Mary's College, Parkville, Victoria 3052.



University College


University College stands in College Crescent, facing Ormond College in five and a half acres of ground reserved for it by order of the Governor-in-Council, 1934. It is a modern building, founded in 1936, and opened in 1937 as a College "of and within the University of Melbourne".

There is accommodation for 160 resident students.

The College is open to any student of the University, but preference will be given to students who pursue a full-time University degree course. A small number of places are reserved for students studying at other tertiary institutions. Provision is made for non-resident students to take part in College activities as well as in College tutorials.


Jean McNaughton, BSc DipDiet PhD


Heather Hewitt, BA DipEd LaT. MAPS


Len Stevens, BA BEd DipSocStud


Anatomy: I. Macdonald, MB ChB Pret. PhD; K. Narayan, MB BS Raj. MD AIIMS PhD A.N.U.

Biology: N. Bardaxis, BSc Chemistry: M. Kiefel, BSc

Commercial Law: A. Christie, BSc LLB

Computer Science: P. County, BSc Monash DipEd SCV Rusden English: R. Wells, MA U.C.S.D. PhD Edin.

History: D. Hellier, MA Law: R. Watters, BA LLB

Mathematics: P. County, BSc Monash DipEd SCV Rusden Philosophy: R. Miller, MA Edin. MLitt Camb.

Physics: N. Narayan, MSc Kansas Politics: V. Miller, BA Monash BSW LaT.

Psychology: S. Loosely BA DipEd; S. Jenkinson BA MSc ///; I. Storey, BBSc LaT.

Zoology: P. Osborne, BSc COLLEGE TUITION

The College is responsible for the general supervision and guidance of students' academic work.

Most tutorials are held in the College; a few in conjunction with other colleges. These are sup- plementary and not alternative to University lectures and tutorials.

College tuition is open to non-resident students. Such students will not normally be admitted ex- cept for the whole year, and for all their subjects in which there are College tutorials.

Non-resident students may use the library and may take meals in Hall. Meal costs may be ascertained from the College office.


For Resident Students

Registration Fee (payable on application) $10

Enrolment Fee $30

*Annual Fees $4130 Caution Money $70

*The Council reserves the right to raise the fees at any time should this prove necessary to cover increased costs.




These fees cover College charges for residence, tuition and service during 31 weeks of the Academic Year as set out by the University Calendar.

Where possible, arrangements will be made for students to live in College during vacation periods if they have to follow recognized courses of study. The charge for vacation residence is

$15.50 per day. The only additional regular cost is subscription to the Students' Club ($45).

College fees are paid in three instalments.

For Non-Resident Students:

$220 with the registration fee of $10, and enrolment fee of $30 (once only payment).


Entrance scholarships are awarded annually on the basis of Higher School Certificate results, school reports and an interview at the College. Interviews for scholarships are held in November.

A number of scholarships are awarded annually provided there are candidates of sufficient merit;

the value of a scholarship may be increased to allow scholars to come into residence which they might otherwise be unable to do.

Any student already in attendance at the University, who wishes to apply for a College scholar- ship, is requested to contact the Principal. In such cases the award is based chiefly upon the student's University record.

Major and minor scholarships ranging from $300 to $150 are awarded to resident students.

Major and minor non-resident scholarships are $60 and $30 respectively.


Applications are welcomed from students in their second and later university years (including graduate students), as well as from those entering University for the first time. Early application is advisable.


For further information concerning residence, tutorials, and scholarships, application should be made to the Principal, University College, Parkville, Victoria 3052.



St Hilda's College


St Hilda's College is situated on College Crescent between Queen's College and Ormond Col- lege. It was built as a result of a generous gift of land by Queen's College, with the approval of the Methodist Conference of Victoria and Tasmania and moneys donated by the general public and the Commonwealth and State Governments.

In 1959 an Interim Council, drawn from the Wyverna Club of Queen's College and the Ormond Women's Association and including representatives from the Methodist and Presbyterian Churches, drew up a Constitution which was later ratified by the governing bodies of the two Churches concerned. The College was opened for students on the 26th February, 1964, and the buildings were officially opened on the 11th April, 1964, by the Rt Hon. Sir Robert Menzies, K.T.

Whilst the College was originally founded for women, male students were first admitted in 1973 and there are now equal numbers of men and women students in residence.

Following the formation in 1976 of the Uniting Church in Australia, St Hilda's College came under its auspices.


R. S. A. Harper, MCom


Brian D. James, DMin STM CTS Indianapolis BD Garrett BA MAAMFC.


Medicine: Ralphine de la Harpe, MB BS.


Biology: Diane Chambers, BSc; L. Dooley, MSc PhD A.N.U.; Phillip Harris, MA PhD Camb.

Chemistry: Jenny Conn, BSc DipEd; Roy Seit, BSc.

Commerce: Richard Camm, BSc BCom W.Aust.; David Gilbertson, BCom.

English: Anne McLaren, BA PhD A.N.U. DipEd.

Law: Andrew Mcintosh, BEcon A.N. U. LLB Tas.

Mathematics: Genet Edmondson; David Gillam, BSc PhD Monash Medicine: David de la Harpe, BSc BAppSc P.I. T.

Music: Anthony Way, BMus.

Physics: Bruce Marret, BSc MEnvStud Adel.

Politics: Matthew Pinkney, BA.


Chemistry: Pamela Oliver, BSc PhD DipEd LaT.

Engineering: Mark Fleming, BEng.


The College accommodates 166 students in single study/bedrooms and has 8 flats for single and married tutors.

Non-resident students are eligible for College tutorials, may use the Library and other College facilities, dine in College at student rates and participate fully in College life.

COLLEGE FEES: 1986 (1) For Resident Students:

Residence and Tuition $3965 p.a.

Registration Fee $10.00 Enrolment Fee $200.00




^Caution Money $125.00 Student Club $75.00 Vacation Rate (per day) $18.50

Fees entitle resident students to board, lodgings and tuition for the College's Academic Year or its equivalent. The Academic Year of the College of 31 weeks is based on the University of Melbourne Academic Year.

Arrangements are made with other colleges for tutorials in subjects not offered at St Hilda's.

(2) Non-Resident Students:

Registration Fee $10.00 Annual Fee $200.00 SCHOLARSHIPS

A number of scholarships will be awarded annually for resident and non-resident students and a few bursaries are also available.


For more detailed information application should be made to the Principal, St Hilda's College, College Crescent, Parkville, Victoria, 3052.

$This is reclaimable if the student wishes, subject to deduction of any outstanding dues, within three months of the student finally leaving residence.



Whitley College


Whitley College is situated on land in Royal Parade owned by the Baptist Union of Victoria and reserved by it for the establishment and conduct of a College affiliated with the University of Melbourne.

The College was opened on 27th February, 1965, by the Prime Minister, Sir Robert Menzies. It is named after Dr W. T. Whitley who established the first Baptist Theological College in Australia in 1891.

The building accommodates 135 students and 12 resident tutors.

The College has been the recipient of three large benefactions:

(a) The Charles Hedly Sanham Memorial Fund, the income of which is in excess of

$15,000, and is to be applied to the training of young men for the Baptist ministry;

(b) The Alexander Crocket Estate in excess of $640,000, to be applied to the religious pur- poses of the College; and

(c) The Margaret Crocket Estate in excess of $150,000, to be applied to the College Building Fund.

Whitley College is governed by a Council of 34 members under the control of the Baptist Union of Victoria. It is open for residence to students of the University of Melbourne of all religious persuasions. A limited number of students may become non-resident members of the College.

The College serves both men and women.


Olwyn Charles Abbott, BCom


The Reverend David Mervyn Himbury, BA BD Wales BLitt Oxf. MA


Senior Tutor: Keith John Sykes, BSc BD.

Accounting/Economics: Ashley Ronald Poke, BCom.

Anatomy: Enrico Domenico Canale, BSc.

Biological Science: Timothy James Cole, BSc.

Chemistry: Kenneth Anderson, BSc.

Computer Science: William James Mallett, BSc.

Engineering: George Bakogianis, BE Ballarat C.A.E.

Mathematics: Andrew John Watson, BSc.

Music: Philip John Nunn.

Pharmacy: David Thomas Manallack, MPharm.

Physics: Paul Richard Lewis, BSc.

Physiology: Anna Barbara Golemo, BSc.

Veterinary Science: Sui Ming Henry Cheung, BSc, Cert Ed Hong Kong.


Tuition is provided by the College with the special object of assisting students with their univer- sity work. The instruction so given is supplementary, not alternative to that provided by the University.


Early application for residence is advisable. Applicants should seek an appointment with the Principal during the months of September and October.


Registration Fees (payable on application for admission) $10

Enrolment Fee (payable on admission) $25

Annual Fee for Residence $3375




The above fees cover the College charges for residence during the three College terms. For authorized residence at other times during the academic year a charge of $13.50 per day is made.

For authorized absence of one week or more during term a special allowance is made. The only additional recurring charge is for membership of the College club. Laundry facilities are available within the College. The fees for residence are payable in three instalments. A full term's notice is required of a student's intention to go out of residence during the course of the year.


Resident scholarships are available to candidates of any denomination, and will be awarded on the results of examinations. They are available to students who are coming up from schools to the University.

Scholarships are also available to students already in attendance at the University and will be awarded on the basis of the results of their University examinations.

A limited number of closed scholarships is available to members of Baptist churches.


Further information may be obtained from the Principal, Whitley College, 271 Royal Parade, Parkville, Victoria 3052. Telephone 347 8388.



Ridley College


Ridley College was founded in 1910, partly to provide training for evangelical Anglican or- dinands, and partly to provide a hostel for University men. Throughout its history it has pre- served this dual character. It is an Anglican foundation, but residence is open to non-Anglicans.

The beginnings of the College were humble. A boarding house, called "Norwood" (which may still be seen opposite Janet Clarke Hall) was rented, and became a College housing five students.

The College developed, however, and soon a property called "Kooringa" further down Sydney Road was purchased (now alas demolished to make way for a motel), and the College was set up on what was expected to be its final site. It continued to grow, however, and "Kooringa" had to be sold in order to move to a larger site where the College is now located on the corner of Walker Street and The Avenue. At first there was ample accommodation in the large house, "Cumnock".

But as the College grew and as money became available, other buildings were erected.

From time to time the suggestion was made that Ridley be more closely linked with the Univer- sity than at its foundation. Sometimes it was thought it should be connected in some way with Trinity, sometimes that it should be connected with the University itself. But all such proposals came to nothing, until in 1965 application was made to the University Council for acceptance as an affiliated College. After a seemly delay while negotiations took place, this was agreed to and the College began 1966 as one of the University of Melbourne's affiliated Colleges.


The Anglican Archbishop of Melbourne.


The Reverend M. S. Betteridge, MA LTh BD N.Z. STM N. Y. DipEd.


The Reverend P. Oldland, ThL BSc PhD


Senior Tutor: C. Nash, BSc Monash.

Tutors: M. Cox, MB BS; J. Ebner, BSc; C. Firman, BA N.S. W.; S. Jones, BA Tas. DipEd TTC;

D. Kruse; J. Nash; C. Petr, BSc N.S. W.I. T. MSc U.N.S. W.; A. Reupert, BA; C. Sobey, BSc; B.

Wu, BA BCom.


Full-time: The Principal; The Reverend B. Darling, MA DipEd Syd. ThL; G. Jenkins, BSc Monash BA; C. Kruse, ThL BD MPhil Lond. PhD Fuller; The Reverend J. Mclntyre, ThL BD Lond.; H. C. Oldland, BSc, PhD DipIC ThL ARCS: Miss R. Payne, BD MA; The Reverend J.

Pryor, BA Syd & Camb. ThL BD Lond.; The Reverend C. H. Sherlock, BA Syd MA A.N. U.

BD Lond. ThD; The Reverend D. J. Williams, MA ThL ThM Fuller PhD.

Visiting: P. Adam, BD ThSchol PhD; The Venerable P. Corney, ThL DipRE; Mrs R. Kruse, MA; The Reverend J. Mcintosh, BA BD MTh; The Reverend G. Rutherford, MA ThSchol DipRE; The Reverend H. Scott-Simmons, ThL; J. A. Thompson, MA MSc BD BEd PhD.


Tutorials are held in the College, and, in some subjects, in conjunction with other colleges.

These tutorials are, of course, supplementary and not alternative to University lectures and tutorials. Tutorials are open to non-resident students.


Registration Fee (payable on application for admission) $10

Enrolment Fee (payable on admission) v $30

Annual Fee (for residence and tutorials) $3550 Caution Money (reclaimable if no dues outstanding) $80




The fees cover residence and tuition during the academic year. Accommodation is usually available during vacations at rates which may be ascertained from the office. Accommodation is normally in single rooms. There is accommodation for eight tutors and eighty students.


The holder of a scholarship is normally required to pursue an honours course. A scholarship is awarded for one year, but may be renewed year by year if the scholar's University record justifies it.


Further information may be obtained from the Principal, Ridley College, Parkville, Victoria 3052.



Graduate House


G. R. Fairhall, BD Melb. Coll. Div. MEdAdmin N.E. BA HISTORY

Graduate House was opened in 1962 as a small hall of residence for postgraduate workers, whether Australian or from overseas, predominantly for those engaged in higher degree studies or research. Graduate House is controlled by a Board acting for the Graduate Council, which is the Board of Directors of the Graduate Union, a company limited by guarantee. Graduate House is the principal asset, residential facility and administrative base of the Graduate Union.*

The House Board appoints a Warden, and other staff. The Warden is responsible to the Board for the good order and discipline of the House, and for bringing to its notice all matters which will lead to its improvement and further development.

The terrace of seven Victorian houses has been developed in successive stages (in 1962, 1965 and 1971), and now houses approximately 40 postgraduate residential members on a "dinner, bed and breakfast" basis. It also provides a corporate centre for the entire Graduate Union member- ship by way of dining-room, common-rooms, library and other facilities for public and private entertainment. Graduate House had been conducted as a University-controlled hall of residence, but in 1972 the Council of the University granted full affiliation to the whole Graduate Union as a College of the University having both residential and non-residential members. Provision is also made for a small number of short-term visiting academics, scholars and graduates. An Annexe caters for a further 18 or so residents, offering more basic facilities and evening meal only. Residents come from all states and from overseas, and the atmosphere is one of cultural as well as academic sharing.


While the House Board has wide powers to admit any class of graduate as a resident, four main categories of admission have been defined:

FULL-TIME CANDIDATES FOR HIGHER DEGREES enjoy the highest priority and their normal tenure is for one year with optional renewal during the currency of their higher studies. Such residents are normally admitted in February or March at the beginning of the research year. So far as possible, a balance is kept between Australian and overseas residents. This category also includes postdoctoral research workers.

RESEARCH VISITORS AND SPECIAL LECTURERS are normally more senior academic or professional visitors (not higher degree candidates) engaged on specific pieces of research in various University departments, teaching hospitals or other research institu- tions in Melbourne. The Board will consider equally workers in the University and other professional or research visitors, such as those sponsored by the Commonwealth Office of Education in connection with the Colombo Plan and other agencies. Normal tenure is three months in the first instance.

ACADEMIC STAFF appointed to the University who at the beginning of their tenure may require temporary accommodation pending more settled domestic arrangements may be ad- mitted for periods up to one month in the first instance.

OTHER VISITORS requiring residence for short periods, and who are members of the Graduate Union, may apply to the Warden to occupy casual vacancies as they occur.


Applications for residence should be made on the appropriate form obtainable from and re- directed to the Warden at Graduate House, 224 Leicester Street, Carlton, Victoria 3053. The telephone number is 347 3428.

* See also 'Graduate Union' in the "Announcements" section of this Calendar.



Library Digitised Collections


University of Melbourne Title:

University of Melbourne Calendar 1986 Date:


Persistent Link:

http://hdl.handle.net/11343/23431 Terms and Conditions:

Terms and Conditions: Copyright in works deposited in the University of Melbourne Calendar Collection is retained by the copyright owner. The work may not be altered without permission from the copyright owner. Readers may only, download, print, and save electronic copies of whole works for their own personal non-commercial use. Any use that exceeds these limits requires permission from the copyright owner. Attribution is essential when quoting or paraphrasing from these works.;To request permission to adapt, modify or use the works outside of the limits of these terms and conditions, please complete the permission request form at: http://www.unimelb.edu.au/copyright/information/

fastfind/externalrequest.html;For further information about these conditions or requesting permission, please contact the Copyright Office at: http://www.unimelb.edu.au/copyright/



Related documents

MMHP versus ETAS Pro: I Better description of earthquake cycles including quiesence and multiple mainshocks I Automatically calculates the probability that a given event is a